The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020) | Page 22 | Vital Football

The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belgium look good, deep squad.

Drew 1-1 with Greece this week and were able to call upon more of their 26 than we could. Wonder if the Anderlecht fans forums are being as OTT and negative as what I've read here in some instances.

so aswell as TAA out we have the following not fully fit in the squad - Maguire, Henderson, Grealish, Phillips, Kane.
Add to that the outright liabilities that are Pickford and Stones and this has all the hallmarks of a car crash tournament.
Welcome back Silhill......where have you been for half the season? :clap:

While I may not always agree with your posts, they always have merit and while I hope on this occasion we don't have a "car crash", there is the distinct possibility - we do have form after all. I think we should get out of the group this time, but will fail miserably in the last 16. I really hope Pickford and Stone aren't in the starting line up.

It’ll be negative formations, cagey football whilst scraping draws and the odd win in the group.

We’ll scrape through the group given it’s harder to be knocked out than it is to get through, we’ll win one knockout game and then get dumped out by the first half decent nation.

The nation will go into “it’s coming home” over drive and those of us who know about football, will be banging the Southgate is a fraud drum whilst the rest of the country and the part time fans realise we were right.

If Southgate goes and gets us to the final I’ll look like a twat granted, but this is a calculated risk post.

It’ll be negative formations, cagey football whilst scraping draws and the odd win in the group.

We’ll scrape through the group given it’s harder to be knocked out than it is to get through, we’ll win one knockout game and then get dumped out by the first half decent nation.

The nation will go into “it’s coming home” over drive and those of us who know about football, will be banging the Southgate is a fraud drum whilst the rest of the country and the part time fans realise we were right.

If Southgate goes and gets us to the final I’ll look like a twat granted, but this is a calculated risk post.

Yep, only 8 teams from the initial 24 get eliminated at the group stage and as bad as we are I cant imagine that will happen. However win the group and its France, Germany or Portugal in the first knockout round :eek:

Yep, only 8 teams from the initial 24 get eliminated at the group stage and as bad as we are I cant imagine that will happen. However win the group and its France, Germany or Portugal in the first knockout round :eek:

France will walk that group so we won't be playing them. Portugal and Germany would be tests but the Germans at least aren't anywhere near as strong as previous years. Portugal I'm not sure of to be honest but you've got to play these sides at some point anyway if you want to win the thing.

You are probably correct. But my whole life I've been hearing how the Germans aren't as strong, they barely scraped through qualifying etc etc. Then lo and behold the tournament comes around and they end up either winning the thing, knocking England out, or both....
Spot on they never look as good as other countries but always seem to over achieve , where we under achieve

You are probably correct. But my whole life I've been hearing how the Germans aren't as strong, they barely scraped through qualifying etc etc. Then lo and behold the tournament comes around and they end up either winning the thing, knocking England out, or both....

True enough. I remember one of the worst German sides ever getting to the final in 2002. We still go on about battering them in the qualifiers for that tournament but they simply dusted themselves down and ground out result after result.

True enough. I remember one of the worst German sides ever getting to the final in 2002. We still go on about battering them in the qualifiers for that tournament but they simply dusted themselves down and ground out result after result.
It's the mentality of Germans, they are arrogant enough to think their way is best and stick at it.
We tend to be arrogant to a point and then start doubting our own ability, That doubt is our downfall. The lack of mental toughness. Same on here looking at Belgium look at France etc. The Germans think it's only the Belgians or only the French. They respect us but ultimately don't fear us. They don't fear anyone, whereas we are all bravado

It's the mentality of Germans, they are arrogant enough to think their way is best and stick at it.
We tend to be arrogant to a point and then start doubting our own ability, That doubt is our downfall. The lack of mental toughness. Same on here looking at Belgium look at France etc. The Germans think it's only the Belgians or only the French. They respect us but ultimately don't fear us. They don't fear anyone, whereas we are all bravado
Mentality plays a big part. I also think lack of (tactical) discipline has always been the achilles heel of England. Going to South Africa in 2010 was a massive eye-opener for me. I got to see, in the flesh, an England team full of "stars" who couldn't/wouldn't play within a simple system of play. Then I watched that Spanish team look like a well-oiled machine... Night and day...

Status
Not open for further replies.