The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020) | Page 43 | Vital Football

The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree r.e the Italy game. Admittedly only watched the second half but it was very decent . As were Italy I thought .

I don’t think I’ve ever been so out of touch with footballers on the international stage. I recognised no more than probably 5 names on the pitch yesterday. I blame BT for taking the champions league, I haven’t seen a league or knockout game (except the free to air final) for years.

Well I did'nt make it to halftime before I switched over and watched Worcs v Northants in the T20 blast.
The first half doesn't count, its like boxing only the last rounds count. I was half matching the first half lifting my head a couple of time the commentator got excited

Great game if you're the sort of person who likes watching Man City playing keep ball attack and defence games.
A good game to me is two teams having a go.
If you support Italy it was a good game but as a neutral who couldn't give a stuff about who wins, it was, pretty boring.

I think it can only be a truly great game if both sides come to play which obviously didn't happen. However I enjoyed it well enough despite Turkey not wanting to do anything bar line up on the 18 yard line.

Liked the look of Spinazolli the lb, Locatelli in midfield and Berraddi. Imobille could be a decent shout for the golden boot if they can supply him. Can't believe Chiellini is still there, he's been 36 for a decade or so, he's still got it though.

If you didn’t enjoy last nights game I wouldn’t bother watching many more from the tournament. Most opening games see both teams sitting back too scared to lose.
Turkey’s coach fucked up with his tactics last night. They’ve been a decent attacking team the last couple of years. Took 4 points off France in qualifying for this, put 4 past the Dutch at home and drew 3-3 in Germany. Last night he set up with everyone behind the ball and played for a point. Hopefully Gareth was watching and decides to play to his teams strengths tomorrow

I bet people in Turkey didn't think it was a "great" game. Games depend on who you want to win, If Villa played like Turkey there would be a meltdown on here about that game.
As a neutral, it was a game of attack and defence, made to seem better once Italy scored.
I didn't say Italy didn't play well I just said it wasn't a great game
There will be worse games and better games that's for sure

I thought Italy were great both halves to be fair. They kept knocking on the door and eventually broke them down and went on to win at a canter.

Not sure what people expect from a football match sometimes.

Was a bit bored first half, but then I was really only paying half attention I guess.

Second half, they looked very good - and as you say, could have scored first half as well. Looked a miss-match, and yet some had said Turkey could be a dark horse in this tournament. They didn't look it did they!?

Italy were good, but even England - with very good players who could see us far but with a terrible manager - are better than that. It’s given me confidence actually even if I am one of the more pessimistic

I don't think I've seen England play as well as Italy in the second half under Southgate.

I've seen England grind poor teams down many many times with possession, They never get the credit as we take it for granted that England will do a job on smaller football nations.
Italy are the same big football nation but they expect to beat Turkey, same as England would
Personally, I never think England play well when they beat anyone but that's what they do. We don't lose many games until we meet a decent team or a lucky one

I don't think I've seen England play as well as Italy in the second half under Southgate.

Thought that. They had some good quick attacks didn't they. Not exactly slow Italian defensive like. I listened to first half on 5 live and they were saying that Mancini has brought them to this style and Micah (in between his absurd giggling and ott laughing) said at Citeh Mancini was very attack minded.

This I what I was saying the other day about England. We have so much potential pace and quick attacking intent but we just don't use it. Southgate is trying to be Pep with the wrong players. Let's screw this continent obsession and get back to some blood and thunder English style.

Was a bit bored first half, but then I was really only paying half attention I guess.

Second half, they looked very good - and as you say, could have scored first half as well. Looked a miss-match, and yet some had said Turkey could be a dark horse in this tournament. They didn't look it did they!?

They are quite dark

This I what I was saying the other day about England. We have so much potential pace and quick attacking intent but we just don't use it. Southgate is trying to be Pep with the wrong players. Let's screw this continent obsession and get back to some blood and thunder English style.

This:clap:

Yes, agree fully MD. England play far too slow sometimes, and as much as I love Jack as a player he’ll need to not slow it down further, but get on it and attack the space quickly.

I understand the need to be cagey at the back - defensively solid teams do well at knock out competitions - but England have occasionally had no link between the defence and the forwards (I don't even think Barkley was playing so no excuse), which just can't happen. We need either Mount or Jack doing that job in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.