The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020) | Page 33 | Vital Football

The Euros Summer 2021 Official Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After the performance of the defence I’m not surprised White has been added. A decent team would have cashed in on at least one of the opportunities England presented them with. And I’m not convinced by Pickford behind them.
Looks like we’re in for a back three with two holding midfielders.

The silly thing is 143 caps and "only" 72 goals for his country is seen as below standard.
Just Imagine if an England player was as good as that

Ronaldo (who'd be the closest comparison I guess )
174 caps 103 goals

Still take Messi on a free for backup for Emi2 mind

I expect Southgate will revert to form and put his favourites in the forward positions (Mount, Sterling, Rashford, and Kane) and just have Jack as an impact sub.

He will probably ignore the fact that both Sterling and Rashford are out of form and continually make mistakes through poor judgment.

In Southgate's predictable and misguided mind, he just won't/can't take a risk and that's how Southgate sees Jack. Someone whose maverick style of play causes him a headache due to his methodical style of thinking and how he wants to set his team up and play.

Last edited:
One of the best England managers that I can remember, for playing attacking football and giving exciting players a game, was Joe Mercer.
Some will remember that he took over as caretaker after Revie pissed off to Saudi Arabia in 1974.
He picked the likes of Worthington, Stan Bowles, Keegan, Dobson, Colin Bell and Keith Weller in the same team. Beat the Argies at Wembley with that lot. Great to watch.

I think El Tel is a bit overrated. I rewatched all of the England Euro 96 games and the football was dreadful outside of the Netherlands and Germany games.
Spain in particular were robbed in that quarter final.

I thought Hoddle was maybe onto something at France 98 where he had a really dynamic formation which would change whether England had the ball or not. But then England were awful under him after that tournament.

England have never been an attractive watch in my lifetime at least.

I think El Tel is a bit overrated. I rewatched all of the England Euro 96 games and the football was dreadful outside of the Netherlands and Germany games.
Spain in particular were robbed in that quarter final.

I thought Hoddle was maybe onto something at France 98 where he had a really dynamic formation which would change whether England had the ball or not. But then England were awful under him after that tournament.

England have never been an attractive watch in my lifetime at least.
Consistently weak, mentally. All this nonsense about "pressure" we excuse it with, as if Spain, France, Germany, Brazil, aren't under the same if not worse pressure from their public and press.

In fairness to Beaky, in 2018 I thought that's the first time I hadn't seen that as a massive weak spot, more the problem was our inexperience showed against Croatia who just passed us off the pitch.

Seeing as its harder to get knocked out at the group stage of this tournament than to stumble into the knockout rounds, is it time Scotland for the first time ever get through to the 2nd stage of a tournament?? :shake:
I'm thinking in true sweaty tradition they will have a couple of hard working performances before falling agonisingly short. Probably joined by a rapidly declining Welsh team

I didn't think he had a particularly good game yesterday, but I'm hating the slander Mings is getting online at the moment. Not deserved at all and the nation has commited to the scapegoat for when we inevitably screw everything up in the last 16. Feel like he's gonna come back a broken man next month.

I didn't think he had a particularly good game yesterday, but I'm hating the slander Mings is getting online at the moment. Not deserved at all and the nation has commited to the scapegoat for when we inevitably screw everything up in the last 16. Feel like he's gonna come back a broken man next month.

I wouldn't worry, he'll hardly play I wouldn't have thought.

Choosing the right clothes is Soooooo important. My opinion of Lambert took a fatal nose-dive when he swapped a track suit for a collar and tie. Track suit was natural, the other utter pretension. Think his new girl friend persuaded him he needed to look smart for when the big clubs came in for him.

How about Tim for England manager? Bit of passion on the touch line.
Tried that with Kevin Keagan :wagging:

Not sure what is being said, I tend to avoid social media as much as possible.

But I think he is setting himself up for a fall, purely because, like before 2 minutes were up, he makes his silly mistakes, then continues pointing and telling everyone else what to do.

I think you have to be better than Mings is, before you take charge like that.

I think he's played himself out of contention though, so hopefully less abuse and he won't, as you say, be a broken man.

Status
Not open for further replies.