The European Championship ‘21 | Page 3 | Vital Football

The European Championship ‘21

Status
Not open for further replies.
FA sportsbiz
Debbie Hewitt Named As Chair Of The Football Association

By Taruka Srivastav | 19 hours ago

The FA Board has nominated Debbie Hewitt MBE to become the new Chair of The Football Association, with effect from January 2022.

Hewitt was the unanimous choice of the seven-member selection panel, led by independent non-executive FA director Kate Tinsley, and subject to ratification by the FA Council, will succeed the interim FA Chair, Peter McCormick OBE.

The panel were in full agreement that she has the outstanding Chair and governance expertise, across an extensive range of business sectors, as well as the proven leadership qualities and character required for the role.

Debbie has an extensive non-executive career spanning over 15 years in Listed, Private Equity backed and privately-owned companies, across many different sectors.

She’s currently the non-executive Chair of Visa Europe, The Restaurant Group plc, BGL Group and White Stuff.

After six years at The Restaurant Group plc, she will step down from this business when she joins the FA in January. She’s previously held non-executive Chair roles at Moss Bros plc, Evander Group, HR Owen plc and the HPI Group. Debbie was awarded an MBE in 2011 for services to business and the public sector.

“I’m delighted to be nominated for the role of Non-Executive Chair of The Football Association,” she said.

“As the events in recent months have shown, this is a significant moment in time for English football, with a clear purpose for all stakeholders to secure the long-term health of the game at all levels.

“I’ve been passionate about football from a very young age and I’m excited by the opportunity to play my part in shaping the future of something that means so much to so many.

“I’m looking forward to working alongside our CEO Mark Bullingham and the team across Wembley Stadium and St. George’s Park, and relish the opportunity to Chair an organisation that has the potential to be a very positive force for good throughout the game and across society.”

Kate Tinsley, Independent Non-Executive FA Director and chair of the selection panel, said: “This is an excellent appointment for the FA and English football in general.

“Debbie was the outstanding candidate from a talented and experienced field. She immediately demonstrated her passion and ability to positively influence the direction of the FA on a domestic and global stage, providing strong and principled leadership along the way.”

Peter McCormick OBE, interim FA Chair, said: “We’re delighted to nominate Debbie as our new Chair. Her experience across many different areas of business and general approach will allow her to work collaboratively across the game, while providing her own insight, experience and judgement on the issues that matter most. I very much look forward to working with her.”

The FA Council will be asked to formally ratify the new Chair at its next meeting on 22 July 2021 and conditional on this, Debbie Hewitt will start the role with effect from January 2022. Peter McCormick will remain in position as Interim Chair until this date.

I have moved the posts, including mine, regarding racism, to the Racism thread in the Off Topic section. I apologize if anyone thinks they should have been left in this thread but it is a very heated subject and we don't need a blow up.

Agreed. smart move.

I have moved the posts, including mine, regarding racism, to the Racism thread in the Off Topic section. I apologize if anyone thinks they should have been left in this thread but it is a very heated subject and we don't need a blow up.
sorry didnt see the post.

The key issue is simple; taking the knee was an overt act for an overtly Marxist organization and was in response to the deaths of Black people by their police.

It doesn't and hasn't traveled well.

I would much rather everyone clapped to show their support for the equality movement.

Worthy as the bending of the knee may be, its origination has nothing to do with us.
100% with you there Ex.

So the loyal England fans who have spent years building their caps were told that there were a small allocation of more tickets available for Sunday's game. These would be balloted at 11am today and the lucky England fans would be notified.

Problem is, at the same time UEFA put Eng vs Croatia tickets up on their own portal on general sale.

Absolute scum !!!

So the loyal England fans who have spent years building their caps were told that there were a small allocation of more tickets available for Sunday's game. These would be balloted at 11am today and the lucky England fans would be notified.

Problem is, at the same time UEFA put Eng vs Croatia tickets up on their own portal on general sale.

Absolute scum !!!
Isn't that the fair thing to do? I thought the idea with the euros going ahead is that foreign fans are going to be allowed to travel to games (governments permitting). So therefore non English fans should be able to get tickets as although it is being played at Wembley, it isn't a "home" game.

I'm not agreeing that fans should be allowed to travel between countries for it, but if that is accepted then tickets should be open too.

Isn't that the fair thing to do? I thought the idea with the euros going ahead is that foreign fans are going to be allowed to travel to games (governments permitting). So therefore non English fans should be able to get tickets as although it is being played at Wembley, it isn't a "home" game.

I'm not agreeing that fans should be allowed to travel between countries for it, but if that is accepted then tickets should be open too.

It is not normal times. With a full stadium and no COVID I agree with you but reading between the lines the tickets they have got back were from the sponsors and officials who won't come to the UK because of COVID protocols. So the logical thing to do would be to hand them to the FA of the country who have the stadium. Not UEFA, they knew if they did that then the loyal fans who spend 4 years building their points would get them cheaper through their FA based on the rules. Therefore UEFA kept some back to put through their own website at higher prices so the money goes direct to them.

The harsh reality is with 92% of new COVID cases being the Indian Delta variant, UEFA have inadvertently encouraged more fans to come to the UK. Always worth remembering that a PCR test could be 48 hours old before your flight leaves the runway. It's best intent.

The other thing that is happening is that Wembley access is based on a lateral flow test. All I have to do is take the bar code number from the home test kit and plug it into the website. I don't have to actually do the swab to get into the game.

Dangerous times.

Status
Not open for further replies.