The European Championship ‘21 | Vital Football

The European Championship ‘21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walthamstow wanderer

Alert Team
Staff member
Nearly upon us .
It’s going to be interesting how the tournament referees deal with Grealish and Sterling falling over every time my wife walks past the TV set and gets too close to them .

Referees always seem to have some sort of instruction to become bigger than the game at these sort of tournaments.
Grealish is getting mixed protection in the friendly against Austria . He started off giving free kicks at every occasion in the first half , but ignored a lot in the second half .
It also influences the refs decisions in other dodgy tackles , when they tend not to give a free kick for what IS a foul .

Last edited:
I think we have learned tonight that half of this squad haven’t a clue how to play international football .
We just have to hope Watkins doesn’t have to play .
Bellingham and Saka are miles off the pace ,
Alexander -Arnold is a liability ,
It’s too soon for Ben White and and too late for Coady .
Godfrey took an age to settle down but might be ok .
Mings ? Don’t know .
I’m fearful going forward.
I don’t think we have enough depth .

Moved this one up.

So we have a hard core of VS England fans. Does anyone support one of the other teams in the Euro's?

Got my Wembley tickets for the 3 England games coming up.

I don't think I'm against any National side with a Spurs player. In the Wales v France friendly it was nice to see Hugo, Rodon and Sissoko chatting together as they walked off. We don't have an Germans do we ?

I don't think I'm against any National side with a Spurs player. In the Wales v France friendly it was nice to see Hugo, Rodon and Sissoko chatting together as they walked off. We don't have an Germans do we ?

You're right. There will be those that want our players out of the comp and back with us though.

Did Rodon play well? Down to 10 men and with the old man Gunter at LB, I assume he must have been solid. Didn't see the game though.

I'm sure I will watch all the Euros but I don't support/follow anybody in International football so I truly am a neutral.

Southgate is priceless. His line-up today is...

Johnstone; White, Godfrey, Mings, Shaw; Phillips, Ward-Prowse, Grealish; Rashford, C-Lewin, Sancho

So much for allowing your 1st team to gel before a major tournament.
Hopefully he'll make enough subs to get the 1st team on the pitch in 2nd half.

On the whole, not impressed with his overall squad selections. He has his favourites. It was horrible watching the Austria game. Using Tripp on the left is a total waste. With Trent injured he may be the auto 1st pick for the rhs.

No one wants to get injured at this late stage, so not expecting too much urgency and excitement. Bur expect Southgate to make it sound like an amazing game.....with lots of positives.

I normally have a flutter during the big tournaments. But just don't see us doing much. That semi at the WC may become the peak of Southgate's Int'l career.

Hopefully he'll make enough subs to get the 1st team on the pitch in 2nd half.

On the whole, not impressed with his overall squad selections. He has his favourites. It was horrible watching the Austria game. Using Tripp on the left is a total waste. With Trent injured he may be the auto 1st pick for the rhs.

No one wants to get injured at this late stage, so not expecting too much urgency and excitement. Bur expect Southgate to make it sound like an amazing game.....with lots of positives.

I normally have a flutter during the big tournaments. But just don't see us doing much. That semi at the WC may become the peak of Southgate's Int'l career.

Yep, I was in Moscow for it. Whilst he got a bad rub with the ref, he was tactically useless in that game. Allowed Maguire to pull Young in alongside him and stop him from playing as a wing-back. That made us overrun in midfield and a frustrated Dele was immense managing 2 or 3 men coming at him down their right.

Be nice to see Vlad Chiriches again today. A better player than he looked in our shirt.

The City/Chelsea/United players getting back has impacted the line up. Probably doesn't want to rush them into playing again. If he doesn't want to risk them then he won't get to play the first 11 anyway so might as well see what the other players have to give. I'd say the injury to Trent is likely playing on his mind.

But it is a risk as the first game is against Croatia so will probably be England's most important in terms of trying to top the group.

I am convinced Grealish is only in the squad to win free kicks. Very disappointed in him in the two games so far. No product whatsoever. May be it's down to poor movement else where, but he hasn't impressed so far.
I had nothing better to be doing so decided to put it on. All of the England forwards are so out of sync with each other.

I wouldn't be surprised if Southgate's tactics for the Euros are to get Maguire, Rice, Mings and Kane on the end of set pieces from Ward Prowse after Grealish wins free kicks or Rashford wins corners by running to the by line but being unable to do anything of note from it. In play, England look unlikely to break teams down.

I had nothing better to be doing so decided to put it on. All of the England forwards are so out of sync with each other.

I wouldn't be surprised if Southgate's tactics for the Euros are to get Maguire, Rice, Mings and Kane on the end of set pieces from Ward Prowse after Grealish wins free kicks or Rashford wins corners by running to the by line but being unable to do anything of note from it. In play, England look unlikely to break teams down.
Unfortunately the team's movement is akin to Spurs. One or two players making the effort whilst others (especially final 3rd) seem at a loss. Strange that only player with movement is Sancho who plays in a different league!

Last edited:

This has been the case for 30 years

I'm not unduly concerned with the performance, it's been another good workout with the entire squad receiving minutes ahead of the big kick off.

Two wins & two clean sheets is as good a start as i can remember. Still fancy the Germans to win it though.

I must confess, it's like a tear-jerker, seeing Toby and Verty (capt) playing for their country. Solid so far.

Belgium - the team to watch again me thinks.

ps., Muttley, I know you've been critical of Toby sitting too deep....
In the Belgian setup he's regularly nearer the halfway line.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.