The EU plan to make all cars stick to the speed limit | Page 2 | Vital Football

The EU plan to make all cars stick to the speed limit

From briefly reading about it you can override it simply by accelerating.
It will be interesting to see how the insurance companies use it to assess driving standards around accidents . Might use it to wriggle out of claims.

I don't like the idea one bit. You need a bit of speed to get clear of some idiots on the road.

Just keep your old car.....

It's a speed limit, not a target.
I think that limits are set on certain roads which are too low in order to increase the revenue flow from fines.

There’s only so much resource to deal with offences, in the medium term I imagine it’ll be like an electronic tacho (as you get on lorries). If you’re caught doing excessive speed, copper says you were speeding and you sat you weren’t, it’s his word against yours. With this technology, they could potentially go onto a computer and find out.

In built up areas im pretty good but I’m not an angel admittidely. On motorways I drive faster than the limit, like most of us do.

As it’s car drivers and car drivers have earnings and are easy targets, no doubt we’ll be punished.

Last edited:
It's a speed limit, not a target.
I think that limits are set on certain roads which are too low in order to increase the revenue flow from fines.

That's the thing that really gets my goat. It's not about safety, it's all about the Benjamin's.

If Germans can drive on the autobahn without limits, so can we.

It would surely ruin the luxury car/high end car market? Why bother spending a fair amount on a top of the range engine if you are just going to be limited?