The enduring appeal | Vital Football

The enduring appeal

kefkat

Vital Football Legend
Of Jeremy Kyle like shows is written well, in this article. It used to be so mild when I look back at watching Kilroy in the 80's, yet some of his shows were seen as shock, horror back then, yet are so tame now. I can't stand this type of program. Seen snapshots of at friends houses and that was enough.

That said going back to the 90's I used to love watching Springer. The psycho-annalist in me understands why now, as I was wanting to looking at people whose lives were more fcuked up than mine at the time, to make me feel better for that short term fix.

The Enduring Appeal of Jeremy Kyle (Or Why You Are Ronnie Barker)

What follows is something like a typical scene from the ever popular Jeremy Kyle show - if it's enduring appeal (NTA nominated again) mystifies you then consider this theory...

"You two don't have any simple human respect for each other"
"Yes but we came on the show to try and fix...."
"SHUT UP!!! I HAVEN'T FINISHED TALKING AT YOU YET"
"I'm not sure this really was the best forum for trying to reconcile our difficu...."
"I SAID SHUT UP! SHUT YOUR POISONOUS MOUTHES AND LISTEN TO ME!!!!! BLACK T-SHIRTED HENCHMEN RESTRAIN THEM!!! FORCE THEIR FILTHY MOUTHS CLOSED WHILE I CLIMB UPON MY HIGH HORSE AND EXPATIATE!!!"

Firstly, it doesn't have to be Jeremy Kyle, you could really put any angry, sneering, self-righteous, disapproving ringmaster into that circus and they would appear, relative to their on-stage participants, in full possession of the sort of moral-compass most of us take for granted.

It's what we perceive as Kyle's moral compass that's meant to link us to him, that connects the audience at home with the audience in the studio and sets us, as a collective, apart from the scrapping sub-human scum on stage. In the real world we probably know that Jeremy Kyle isn't any more "moral" than us because he allegedly stole from his ex-wife to fund a destructive gambling habit and met his current wife after she "won" a competition on his radio station to marry a complete stranger. But hey, all that was before he was canonised by ITV to referee human bear baiting - so that's all right then.

Cont:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/james-conmy/jeremy-kyle-_b_4635381.html?ir=UK%20Entertainment&ncid=newsletter-uk-entertainment

All of the above kefkat and if people didn't watch this garbage or further it's advertising by posting about it, it may go away and stop infecting people life with bile.

Horrible vile tv. Lowest common denominator and has helped in the breakdown of society along with those horrible gossip magazines and intrusive paparazzi photos etc.

Can't fathom why anyone with even half a brain cell would watch any of them, just horrible aggressive vile tv.

Shocking in this day and age they are still screened.

I know someone who works at ITV and they have told me that The Jeremy Kyle Show makes them more money than any other show on the channel.

I find this not only shocking but quite upsetting.

Only show that I hated and now love is celebrity big brother.

Don't get me wrong, I don't watch the circus, however my mates son works on it, that meant he couldn't come to Brum for the sabbath concert, hence I got the invite.

Best programme on TV for that very fact!!!!!

I actually quite like it. If im off work i will usually watch it. Its nice to see that your own life isn't all that bad after all.

Wurzel - 23/1/2014 15:48

What a load of tosh.

Both really.

The article is an exaggeration of what happens on the shows to suite the point of view of the columnist.
The shows are car crash telly no doubt, and it is also true that Kyle himself is over the top, but what the shows do is highlight the reality of what is going on with certain people in certain situations and highlight not only their failings but also how to overcome them. I have no doubt that the shows have helped some of the people who have appeared on them. Another positive is concerning the audience for these shows. Many will see their own lives mirrored in the guests on the show and maybe just maybe some of the talk concerning taking responsibility for ones own actions, or ones own children will stick. Lets face it the reason these shows exist is because there has been a breakdown of responsibility and respect with certain sectors of society. To some this will be the first time anybody has actually told them that not only do they have rights but they have responsibilities as well.

It is lazy to just dismiss these shows. The easy option. We see the same with Benefits Street. I had the good fortune to talk with a social care worker about these shows and although we agreed that Kyle himself was a dick, there was some merit in the issues they highlight.

Juan Mourep - 23/1/2014 16:09

All of the above kefkat and if people didn't watch this garbage or further it's advertising by posting about it, it may go away and stop infecting people life with bile.

Don't watch it. I posted as I founded the ideas of the psych behind it interesting. No these type of shows wouldn't go away even if people did what you wanted and didn't post about them. I thought that was what forums were for for postings

Hmm at further this garbage by posting it?. Now there could be quite a few posts in here then that are about garbage TV. Benefits streets for 1 as that is a garbage show.

My missus comes from a very dysfunctional family without going into the crux of it and she hadn't seen her brother since he stole her mothers car.Anyway after her mother died he got back in touch and she thought he had changed but I knew he hadn't he was still a scrounging,24/7 dope smoking lying useless scumbag who was barred from every boozer in Newcastle but I kept my gob shut.Then they had a big fall out and I thought that was that I was over the moon he try to put the frighteners on my missus so I told her to tell him to go fuck himself and if he wants to make any more of it to come and see me even though I was on crutches at the time so she did and that was that.Then six months later some woman from the Jeremy Kyle show is on the phone saying her brother wants her to appear on the show to sort things out well I just blew my top I grabbed the phone off her and told this woman to tell that self righteous pompous alky prick to stick his stupid show up his arse.Then I was straight on the phone to her brother saying I wanted to meet up with him but the woman beating coward would have none of it never heard nothing since though.

I've never watched it but I know what it's about. What I can't understand though is why anyone decides that going on the show is a good idea? It's not about making anyone's lives better it's about laughing at them in public

The Fear - 23/1/2014 16:29

Horrible vile tv. Lowest common denominator and has helped in the breakdown of society along with those horrible gossip magazines and intrusive paparazzi photos etc.

and the Labour party, Guardianistas and anyone from or supporting the left wing lunatics that have fucked this country up beyond all recognition.

And TV chefs.

Especially TV chefs...

And the teletubbies, aliens, targeting our youth, our future, and we all sat back and allowed it to happen.

Don't even get me started on basil brush, you know, I suspect he wasn't even a real fox.

The Fear - 23/1/2014 21:20

And TV chefs.

Especially TV chefs...

And the teletubbies, aliens, targeting our youth, our future, and we all sat back and allowed it to happen.

Don't even get me started on basil brush, you know, I suspect he wasn't even a real fox.

He's a plastic supporting Leicester fan I hear :14:

kefkat - 23/1/2014 17:28

Juan Mourep - 23/1/2014 16:09

No these type of shows wouldn't go away even if people did what you wanted and didn't post about them.

If they did what I wanted which was "if people didn't watch this garbage or further it's advertising by posting about it"
Obviously that would lead to it's demise, because no one would be watching it!

Hmm at further this garbage by posting it?. Now there could be quite a few posts in here then that are about garbage TV. Benefits streets for 1 as that is a garbage show.

Obviously you are, the fact that other people are doing the same with other garbage just means they are as guilty of promoting car crash TV as you are.

As we are now seeing in the media, the benefits street programme is changing attitudes towards those on benefits, it's blame TV, these people are colouring the perceptions of others and telling them how they should think, so more like brainwash TV, but nothing new there.

We have to discuss something Juan. All sorts if things are up for debate. Don't think you can say we/kefkat is propagating the problem or promoting.

I find it interesting anyone would watch this sort if stuff though, just seems to be anger filled trauma. I don't need that in my life that's for sure!

Jeremy kyle is good. The people that annoy me the most are the self righteous fuckers in the audience nodding and sneering.

I just take it as entertainment. These people that go on there love their 15 minutes. I don't see poor or stupid people as victims. They choose to go on Jeremy Kyle and the benefits street lot chose to do that show. I think we need to give people more respect when we laugh at them.

Take it you don't think Jeremy Kyle is a self righteous pompous fucking hypocritical prick like I do then.