The End of a Vital Norwich Era | Vital Football

The End of a Vital Norwich Era

Tuckster

Alert Team
Staff member
Hi guys, you may have noticed that it’s been a little quiet on my normal article side of things on the site’s front page. That’s because I have decided to call it a day in terms of my commitment there as editor.

I first started writing for VN, doing match reports, back in 2009-10 when City were in League One - I simply replied to one of the “Write for us” banners. Mike Dilley was the editor then but he left at the end of the season and was succeeded by Savvy Monkey (Ian). Ian had a young family and quickly found that he didn’t have the time needed to run things and asked me if I’d like to take over. I was initially unsure but after giving it some thought I agreed to become the editor of Vital Norwich.

I’ve been running the front page for over ten years now and for the most part have enjoyed it immensely, one Twitter run-in with Mick Dennis apart.

I’ve never really been “in the know” about stuff going on at the club but my best friend, I’ve known him for 45 years, sponsors the club via his business and that has occasionally afforded me little bits of information which may or may not have ended up on Vital Norwich ;-)

There have been one or two transfer scoops along the way as a result and I’ve always delighted in beating other fan sites, and occasionally the EDP, to a transfer report.

The time has come though for me to step back from the front page, although I’ve told Vital HQ that I’ll still be a part of the forum, and to use the time I spend on VN for other things.

My role at work (my real job) has changed as of last November and it’s pretty full on, meaning I barely have time to keep up with what’s going on in my inbox, never mind in the world of Norwich City. Even with matches going on sometimes twice a week, I’ve struggled to meet the minimum 15 article requirement per month of VN. There’s a small payment based on views if you make the 15 article limit but it was never my motivation as I like writing and love my football club, so it’s generally been an easy fit for me. It never felt like work at all.

I have decided I would like to write a book and so, the time I used to spend on VN will go towards that in the future. It can be at my own pace and there will be no deadlines to meet.

I have loved being a part of the forum and will continue to do that, maybe even a little more than I have been and I’ll still be a moderator there, along with FFL. It is like a small virtual family, the VN forum, and I value it, as I know you all do.

So, that’s it really. If anyone fancied taking over or knows someone who might, then let me know. As it stands there is no successor as I have done it all myself. I have advertised over the years and had several people, mostly young lads, want to get involved but none of them had any staying power for the role.

As I say, I’ll still be around.

ON THE BALL CITY!!!

Tucks,

Life takes its routes and from time to time we all have a new track to follow.

You have been an absolutely magnificent editor for VN and well respected throughout this group and I would expect beyond

I personally sincerely thank you for your efforts and understand how life's paths change the dynamic and you have left a lasting legacy.

Great to know that you will still be around

All the best mate

Steve from Oz

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Thank you so much Tucks for your tremendous efforts over the last 10 years . Your articles and thoughts have always been well balanced and a pleasure to read . I am pleased you will still be around and will still post on the forum ! All the best to you with your work life . YB

Tucks.
I totally agree with Steve and YB and thank you for your magnificent work in keeping Vital Norwich as a great site to be involved with.
I do not like Mick Dennis so it was great when you stood up to this terrible hack.

I totally understand why you need to call it a day as 10 years is a very long time and if it was not for my 100 hour working week would love to have a go myself.
Maybe I will when I retire , probably at 70.

Great to hear you with remain on forum and make sure you challenge for the prediction title next season. Good luck with the book.

Thanks again for your hard work.

I Am retired but am so busy (not quite as busy as you DG :grinning:) that I would not be able to commit to 15 articles a month. However, I would be happy to do the occasional one should the need arise.

I have enjoyed reading your articles Tucks. They are always well balanced and unashamedly pro-Norwich, as they should be. You have done far more for VN than would normally have been expected and have the gratitude of all.

May I suggest that some of us could commit to one article a month which could add up to a total of 15 ?
I could commit to one and still carry on working with 50 projects at a time as I do at moment as that would be equivalent to posting on threads every day but under
one article as oppose to long posts.

May I suggest that some of us could commit to one article a month which could add up to a total of 15 ?
I could commit to one and still carry on working with 50 projects at a time as I do at moment as that would be equivalent to posting on threads every day but under
one article as oppose to long posts.
I'd be up for that if it's possible? Do you choose your own article to write?

Thanks for everything tucks. I've always liked reading your articles. You've leaving this forum in a great place.

The target they set of 15 articles isn’t set in stone, it’s just the figure that triggers an ad/views based payment each month, which is never a lot anyway.

if people wanted to write articles then that would be great. Maybe we could have a community run type of site? You can write about literally anything to do with Norwich as long as it isn’t offensive/libellous etc 😁

Spell checking and proof reading is a must but other than that, away you go.

It might be a good idea to appoint a member of Vital as a coordinator so we don't all end up writing about our magnificent victory over MC (other overpaid clubs are available).

Thanks so much Tucks, youve been a big part of the reason i was drawn to joining VN. I can only echo also all of the above, its our loss to not have you as the VN editor but im glad you will still be around mate. Good luck with the book, am already looking forward to buying it from Waterstones!!

Been away for a while - logged back in to see this. Congrats on the new role Tuckster, and thank you for your writing and keeping the front page going, I always enjoyed reading your work.

I'd love to be able to contribute a few articles, in my youth I did write a few for various sites, but whilst studying for my degree and with full time work I don't have the time at the moment. Maybe once my degree is hopefully finished or slows down in 2022, I can contribute some.

Top work pal