The Emi Martinez Thread | Page 8 | Vital Football

The Emi Martinez Thread

....and such an unassuming lad.
VERY pleased we have him. Fair play to the owners....we didn't think we needed a new goalie but they knew better. I bow to them.
Why didn't we think we needed a keeper with Heaton out until January, It was pretty obvious to most of us I think. we had 4 sick note keepers, come January we will have two top Keepers and Steer as back up

I don't want to get carried away but in my lifetime we've never had a keeper who is good at everything. Martinez is a very good shot stopper, commands his area very well and has excellent distribution.

The best keepers we've had in the premier league years at least always had some glaring weakness. Bosnich couldn't kick a ball to save his life, the limit of Friedel's ability with the ball was to pretty much to lump it as far as he could. Martinez seems to tick all the boxes.

I don't want to get carried away but in my lifetime we've never had a keeper who is good at everything. Martinez is a very good shot stopper, commands his area very well and has excellent distribution.

The best keepers we've had in the premier league years at least always had some glaring weakness. Bosnich couldn't kick a ball to save his life, the limit of Friedel's ability with the ball was to pretty much to lump it as far as he could. Martinez seems to tick all the boxes.

I like sweeper keepers always have done, just come and claim the f ing ball not stand there trying to make flying saves.
Those keepers are so underrated and Emi is one of those keepers good at the basics and has that "save" in him that actually wins you a game but goes noticed at the end of the game.
Looks a good lad as well, peak years ahead of him 28-33 I reckon

The great thing about Emi Martinez for me is, he's a mixture of modern day and old time keeper.
He makes those flying tip around the post saves but, far more importantly, he catches the ball when it's possible.
If he keeps on playing to the standard he's set so far, he could be a Villa Park legend. I can't believe DS managed to steal him so cheaply.

We could have lost today if not for Emi. The heart of our mean defence.

I wonder if Hodgson's time is up. He has some decent but not stellar players, but they don't defend as well as a Sam defence would, and they lack the killer touch on attack.

Like I said that stop in the first minute, which won't get a mention was crucial and that is what top top keepers do. It wins you games

If you were to look at the class saves he’s made when the score has been 0-0 such as that and against Burnley and Arsenal, or when we’ve been in the lead and under pressure, then play out the scenario that they score those opportunities as would’ve happened last season no disrespect to our stand in keepers last season, he’s been worth any number of points this season.

I’ve never seen anything like, perhaps prime Freidel would give him competition but I actually think he’s better. And that’s a great compliment

If you were to look at the class saves he’s made when the score has been 0-0 such as that and against Burnley and Arsenal, or when we’ve been in the lead and under pressure, then play out the scenario that they score those opportunities as would’ve happened last season no disrespect to our stand in keepers last season, he’s been worth any number of points this season.

I’ve never seen anything like, perhaps prime Freidel would give him competition but I actually think he’s better. And that’s a great compliment
Yep shows how crap our keepers are when you mention an over the hill Friedel as being the best

I think he mentioned wanting to win the golden glove when he signed. I'll be honest and say I thought that was a bit far fetched but I admired his enthusiasm. Usually 16 clean sheets will get you there, so he's half way already

It’s amazing we managed to pick up points with either Nyland or Reina in goal last season. Martinez is clearly a few classes above and it must make a huge difference to the whole team knowing if you’ve got a keeper like that behind. He’s had such a strange career though I guess you have to give huge credit to the recruitment department for having the confidence to pay the £20m fee for him because I certainly thought it was a gamble