The Emi Martinez Thread | Page 10 | Vital Football

The Emi Martinez Thread

From what I've seen he's better than Bosnich, granted it's a much smaller sample size. Bosnich couldn't kick a ball to save his life. Martinez is one of the best with his feet that I've ever seen and he does all the other stuff well as well.

My only worry is that the footballing world cottons on to how good he is and then he's off to a Madrid or Barca in a year or two.

Bossie was very inconsistent too. Emi seems more consistent but he's only done half a season with us.

Bossie was very inconsistent too. Emi seems more consistent but he's only done half a season with us.
Yep the sign of a top keeper is that they do it consistently over several years. Martinez hasn't done that yet but he's certainly off to an incredible start.

From what I've seen he's better than Bosnich, granted it's a much smaller sample size. Bosnich couldn't kick a ball to save his life. Martinez is one of the best with his feet that I've ever seen and he does all the other stuff well as well.

My only worry is that the footballing world cottons on to how good he is and then he's off to a Madrid or Barca in a year or two.

He's already enlisted his kid into the Villa youth if I remember correctly, could easily be a legend here and run out his career, that's what I'm hoping for anyway.

This bloke continues to one of our best signings for many a year. Had very little to do last night but when he did have to take the odd cross etc you just know he’ll do it without fuss or possible catastrophe! Constantly barking orders at the lads in front of him, it’s no coincidence that the whole back 5 look a completely different unit this term, much of that I’m sure stems from them having so much confidence in the big man behind them. 9 clean sheets in 17 games really says it all. Fantastic signing!

I think the other area of Emi’s game where he’s top class, is his footballing ability. I remember a few saying it when we signed him, but last night in an outfield footballing sense he demonstrated that, it was like having a sweeper and an eleventh outfield player. He’s a top goalie with his feet, he’s comfortable controlling the ball and passing it, but his range of passing is quality especially the 20-30 yard dinks which some keepers struggle with.

The way we play from the back last season was a bit forced, the way we do it this season is much more orchestrated. There are narrow margins between success and failure playing out from the back, however we seem to get all the angles right last night even when it was a little heart in mouth.

Last edited:
I think the other area of Emi’s game where he’s top class, is his footballing ability. I remember a few saying it when we signed him, but last night in an outfield footballing sense he demonstrated that, it was like having a sweeper and an eleventh outfield field. He’s a top goalie with his feet, he’s comfortable controlling the ball and passing it, but his range of passing is quality especially the 20-30 yard dinks which some keepers struggle with.

The way we play from the back last season was a bit forced, the way we do it this season is much more orchestrated. There are narrow margins between success and failure playing out from the back, however we seem to get all the angles right last night even when it was a little heart in mouth.

Beckenbauer:wahey:

Junior 1 reliably informs me ( insta, tik tok, Twitter init Dad) that Martinez is a top futsal player, so that goes a long way to explaining his footballing ability.

Last edited:
Still reckon he's the bargain of the season.
I say this with a bit of a lump in my throat but I really think that he is the best keeper that I have seen in over 50 years as a Villa fan and that would include Withers, Burridge, Bosnich and Rimmer.
He is so alert but at the same time calm and confident. We really pulled the pants down on the Gooners and they now know it. He will go on to be a Villa legend.

I say this with a bit of a lump in my throat but I really think that he is the best keeper that I have seen in over 50 years as a Villa fan and that would include Withers, Burridge, Bosnich and Rimmer.
He is so alert but at the same time calm and confident. We really pulled the pants down on the Gooners and they now know it. He will go on to be a Villa legend.

:agree:

I started a post similar earlier which I didn’t post as I’m conscious it’s ‘only’ been 6 months but the guy is on course to be the greatest keeper we’ve ever had and could retire a Villa legend. Here’s hoping his family like the midlands and a Champs league club doesn’t come in for him. The reality is they will, and he’ll need to decide what he wants but he will be loved here until his the day he dies if he gives us commitment.

Last edited:
:agree:

I started a post similar earlier which I didn’t post as I’m conscious it’s ‘only’ been 6 months but the guy is on course to be the greatest keeper we’ve ever had and could retire a Villa legend. Here’s hoping his family like the midlands and a Champs league club doesn’t come in for him. The reality is they will, and he’ll need to decide what he wants but he will be loved here until his the day he dies if he gives us commitment.
When do you think Villa will qualify for the Champions league?

Can he play for England? He's been here since he was 17? I don't even know if he's played for the dirty Argies yet

Far better keeper than Pickford but can't see Southgate having three players in his team.
Doesn't look like he's actually played for Argentina and he's eligible for England as he's live here more than 5 years.
Are You reading Gareth