The Emi Buendia Thread | Page 19 | Vital Football

The Emi Buendia Thread

Let's hope he can step up as Ollie did last season. Something we won't know until the season gets going.

I think he already made that step up in his second season in England in the Premier League, he was guilty of not taking enough shots as he prefers to create chances, he created the 4th most chances in the Premier League just behind Grealish, it’s not his fault that those chances weren’t buried, yet that season he also made the most tackles out of any midfielder in the league too, proving he was too busy defending for Norwich, than being up the other end, an yet he still managed to break records creating the most chances ever in the Premier League history in December, something that no one not even Grealish has matched to date, in a relegated side, in his first season in the Premier League.

He went from strength to strength last season, now he’s got more experience and he’s with a team that genuinely will want to attack every chance they get, we’re also a lot more solid than Norwich, an if we can bring in a proper DM it will release him further.

He’ll make that step up and probably make Watkins look like he’s on another level, I reckon if Watkins stays fit he’ll bag 20 goals.

Tbh if he hasn’t hit the post 7 times and wasted about 17 big chances last season he’d of easily got 20 goals, I can really see it happening this season, he got quite unlucky last one, didn’t help Grealish missing 1/3 of it.

Agreed. If we can find our form again and keep everyone fit this will be one hell of a season! We hope anyway...

Interesting read by Norwich manager on the Buendia transfer, I do like this part-

“You cannot praise Emi enough. That is for sure. Twice a title winner at Championship level and he played a key role in the best season in Norwich's history, with so many goals and assists. But also his workload and pressing was outstanding last season.”

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwic...avfc-farke-emi-buendia-villa-transfer-8156522

Didn't realise Emil was only 24. Even better. His best years are ahead. Jack, Ollie, Bert and Emil; can't wait.

That’s why he’s a special talent for me, he came to the Championship at 21 had an amazing season bettered Grealish in the same season in terms of goal contributions, and then second season in English football at 22 in the Premier League becomes the 4th best player in creating chances and 1st best midfielder in tackling to win the ball back, pretty impressive considering his small stature.

There’s a reason why Real Madrid picked him up at 11 years old and Messi asking him who’s he going to choose out of Spain and Argentina, I’ll always big Emi up, seems such a nice family guy who’s down to earth but really wants to win trophies and be the best, he’s going to be absolutely fantastic in that dressing room, he comes across really focused.

Apparently he’ll start against Walsall along with Young, Chukwuemeka and Barry will get some minutes too.

I've forked out for the coverage of the pre seasons so I'm looking forward to seeing the wealth of talent at our disposal. Buendia looks like a 100m player in the making if the clips are anything to go by.

Looks like a cross between SJM and SJ we can call him SEB
We already have a pseudo "Trez" although he does come with a disclaimer, so surely we can do better than Seb Larson :lol:

Have high hopes for this fella, beginning to get that pre-season nervous energy/excitement - Villa are back, bring it on :utv:

Just been enjoying a highlights vid from last season on YouTube. Delighted to see Emi scores as many with his left foot as his right

Just been enjoying a highlights vid from last season on YouTube. Delighted to see Emi scores as many with his left foot as his right
Just been enjoying highlights of his first display in claret and blue and I'm delighted too. I will admit to a nervous excitement for this season that I haven't felt since I was a pup. Probably need a couple additions in key positions, but I am seriously struggling to pick a first XI......too many options (at last) :wahey:

After all the hype I just had to closely watch Emi as best I could on the TV and I immediately noticed how good his movement is. Passing and moving creating space and opportunities for a return. In fact, he was so quick at this that it sometimes caught out his fellow midfield colleagues.

Quick passing and movement from midfield have sometimes been a problem of late with the team so I reckon he will help to keep them on their toes.

Early days but I'm impressed so far.

Last edited:
I don't want to be a party pooper because I think Buendia will prove to be a top signing , but it is worth remembering that Jota provided a couple of defence splitting passes v Walsall for Wesley a couple of years ago.

Just saying !!
Difference being that Emi2 has already proved he can do it in the top flight whereas Jota never looked like he had the physical attributes to step up.

I don't want to be a party pooper because I think Buendia will prove to be a top signing , but it is worth remembering that Jota provided a couple of defence splitting passes v Walsall for Wesley a couple of years ago.

Just saying !!
fair point I was trying to think of a Villa player who has actually managed to find a pass. I suppose the odd punt from Mings doesn't really count