The Emi Buendia Thread | Page 40 | Vital Football

The Emi Buendia Thread

For £40m I think even the most ardent supporters of Buendia signing would have expected more of him than what we’ve seen thus far. That said, with each game he does seem to be improving and the second half against City was his best 45 minutes of the season. As we’ve seen over the years, it sometimes takes a while to settle. Price tag, much bigger club, expectation levels etc all play a part so perhaps we should cut him a bit of slack. But the arm waving, apparent stropping and fancy flicks when they’re not needed really isn’t a good look and I don’t think Mr Gerrard will put up with those shenanigans either so you’d hope the improvement we saw on Weds will continue in the coming weeks.

Cutting out the histrionics would be a start , man up, get on with matters ,didn't see much arm waving Wednesday I don't think ?? Maybe SG and team have had a word.

He did have a go at Cash for not playing him in, in the first half but Cash deserved that as he keeps just banging in aimless crosses to nobody

And that’s fine. Want to see that.

It‘s the rolling around and arm waving when he loses the ball or gets knocked over fairly when he thinks he has been fouled. He normally hasn’t been fouled and he needs to get his arse up and win the ball back. As one of my old coaches used to say ‘if you have got the breath to stand there and gob off then you have the breath to chase back and win the ball back’.

He was the architect of both of our clear-cut chances. Some of his neat through balls are fantastic.

He just needs to relax in possession - but some of that will come once the team is more familiar with the system. I like Buendia a lot. Remember, we were writing Nakamaba off a few weeks ago, but also always in the right system, with the right instructions and some confidence, he now looks like a new player.

I think he is, or will be, a player that people go to VP to see play in the same way Jack was an icon for us.

Not the same player as Jack of course but I always thought, before we bought him, that he could overlap his ability with Jack and SJM really nicely.

We all want to see more of course but he's already given me some genuine goosebump moments - we want the graft and the points etc and will all be disappointed when it doesn’t come off at times but imo there's a lot to be said for occasional, genuine, magic on the pitch and he's got that in his locker as much as Jack ever had imo, maybe more so.

All we've seen is brief flashes of quality and lots of lightweight, sloppy, unfit and petulant garbage. He needs to start delivering starting tomorrow or I'd be benching him again

Get his fitness and confidence up and lets see. Norwich to Villa is a big step up and it may take a few months

different stadium, area to live, pressure, system, tactics, league, manager….plus an interruption to pre season and a team predominantly under performing. All valid reasons we havent seen the best of him yet.
He’s show glimpses though that he can be fantastic.

the same as Ings and Bailey - all glimpses

The bit where he took out 3 Leicester players before teeing up Watkins (I think) was beautiful.

Four players and it got an "ole!" from the crowd too to my ears - nobody else is going to be able to do that or get us posting on here "did you see that?!" :)

It was extremely Jack-esque as I mentioned during the game and he teed it off to Watkins nicely before being fouled for Ramsey to then sky it shockingly.

Another fab piece of play by Buendia that will not be recorded in any way due to other players shortcomings and that, IMO, is likely to tip the balance in certain people's minds over time - I think it's more a matter of the players round him not being good enough for him rather than him not being good enough for the team.

Yes, some of this stuff doesn't come off but then he's so dynamic that if even half of it does then it makes something meaningful happen. Compared to the likes of Luiz and Ramsey he's 100x more likely to make something happen - I've no idea what the contribution of those two was today.

There was another passage of play before then where he squared the ball out wide to Cash then sprinted into the area to get on the end of Cash's cross - all our other players (including our so-called striker) stayed stood on their heels on the edge of the box - again, another nice bit of play that will be forgotten about because nobody else turned up.

If you're watching closely enough you'll see that this is happening 5-10 times per game and that's why he's getting pissed off - Ollie could have squared it to him for a tap-in instead of "shooting" straight at Schmeichel too.

Maybe they just don't like him but IMO if SG gets wind of the other players not playing nicely with Buendia then I don't fancy the chances of the others if it comes to a him or us facedown - you'd have to be pretty blind to not see that he's increasingly becoming involved in the goals that we do score.

Four players and it got an "ole!" from the crowd too to my ears - nobody else is going to be able to do that or get us posting on here "did you see that?!" :)

It was extremely Jack-esque as I mentioned during the game and he teed it off to Watkins nicely before being fouled for Ramsey to then sky it shockingly.

Another fab piece of play by Buendia that will not be recorded in any way due to other players shortcomings and that, IMO, is likely to tip the balance in certain people's minds over time - I think it's more a matter of the players round him not being good enough for him rather than him not being good enough for the team.

Yes, some of this stuff doesn't come off but then he's so dynamic that if even half of it does then it makes something meaningful happen. Compared to the likes of Luiz and Ramsey he's 100x more likely to make something happen - I've no idea what the contribution of those two was today.

There was another passage of play before then where he squared the ball out side to Cash then sprinted into the area to get on the end of Cash's cross - all our other players (including our so-called striker) stayed stood on their heels on the edge of the box - again, another nice bit of play that will be forgotten about because nobody else turned up.

If you're watching closely enough you'll see that this is happening 5-10 times per game and that's why he's getting pissed off - Ollie could have squared it to him for a tap-in instead of "shooting" straight at Schmeichel too.

Maybe they just don't like him but IMO if SG gets wind of the other players not paying nicely with Buendia then I don't fancy the chances of the others if it comes to a him or us facedown - you'd have to be pretty blind to not see that he's increasingly becoming involved in the goals that we do score.

I actually didn't mind Ollie being selfish in that moment, it's what a striker should do, but he dallied too long and he needs to learn you either hit immediately being selfish or you dally and then lay off for the extra surprise. Ings was never laying that off, but he'd have hit it earlier.

Yeah it's true, if Ramsey puts that away we would be lauding Buendia for that, but it gets missed because there is no 'positive ending'.

The flashes of brilliance show he can do it, I'd really like to see him influence a game over a course of 90 mins now.

Looks lightweight to me - needs to get some Turkey and Christmas pudding down his throat over the festive period - definitely has ability and some real class - like Traore. £50m for these pair is a lot of dollar - especially when they are not consistent

There was one moment of skill today (mentioned above), beyond that he was shocking . Absolute liability, an Argentinian crisp packet.