The Tyrone Mings Thread | Page 110 | Vital Football

The Tyrone Mings Thread

Very interested to see how Mings develops under Gerrard. Get the impression that Gerrard won't tolerate the lapses in concentration and will aim to get him more focused. If he can do that we could have the Mings we all loved back to his very best.

There's a player in there that's for sure. It's just about focus and consistency for me and reminding him he's not Paulo Maldini so can't afford to be nonchalant, he needs to be on it all of the time.

I think Gerrard will improve him. No doubt.

Very interested to see how Mings develops under Gerrard. Get the impression that Gerrard won't tolerate the lapses in concentration and will aim to get him more focused. If he can do that we could have the Mings we all loved back to his very best.

There's a player in there that's for sure. It's just about focus and consistency for me and reminding him he's not Paulo Maldini so can't afford to be nonchalant, he needs to be on it all of the time.

I think Gerrard will improve him. No doubt.

:stupid: Think that Gerrard will apply that approach right across the defence. And further forwards (SJM's gifts to the opposition won't be tolerated). Concentration and organisation.

In the space of a week I’ve read positive stories regarding Gerrard’s view of McGinn, and today I read Mings will be the captain in the short term. Add to that, Gerrard was a successful captain playing in that advancing central midfield role leading a team through the middle.

I’m glad every player is made to work for their spot and that includes the captain and even captaincy it seems.

Reading between the lines, does it mean we might see a new captain in McGinn in the medium term?

In the space of a week I’ve read positive stories regarding Gerrard’s view of McGinn, and today I read Mings will be the captain in the short term. Add to that, Gerrard was a successful captain playing in that advancing central midfield role leading a team through the middle.

I’m glad every player is made to work for their spot and that includes the captain and even captaincy it seems.

Reading between the lines, does it mean we might see a new captain in McGinn in the medium term?
Reckon you can read anything between the lines. Think McGinn would need to prove himself as a player to be considered, which means cutting out stupid passes.

I think if McGinn proves himself it's entirely possible. Personally, I believe that goalkeepers and centre-backs have enough on their plate in terms of communication to also be saddled with the captaincy.
Looking back at Villa's best captains down the years, many of the best were midfield players - Mortimer, Platt, Richardson, Townsend, Barry, Petrov.

Looking back at Villa's best captains down the years, many of the best were midfield players - Mortimer, Platt, Richardson, Townsend, Barry, Petrov.

Mellberg. Outstanding. I don't think the position matters, except wouldn't have a keeper as captain.

I do think you need somebody who is a fixture in the side. So for any candidate the question is can they produce what Gerrard wants on the pitch?

Mellberg. Outstanding. I don't think the position matters, except wouldn't have a keeper as captain.

I do think you need somebody who is a fixture in the side. So for any candidate the question is can they produce what Gerrard wants on the pitch?

Laursen and Evans weren’t bad as captains either. I do think we make too much of who the captain is in this country. Most other countries seem more concerned with putting 3 or 4 leaders on the pitch rather than worry about who has the armband

Most other countries seem more concerned with putting 3 or 4 leaders on the pitch rather than worry about who has the armband

I think this is our biggest problem, we need more leadership on the pitch. I know there are differing views on sending notes onto the pitch, but if you have leaders on the pitch who can make alterations and know how to manage the phases the game and get others to see that too, it must be worth half a dozen points per season if not more.

I think this is our biggest problem, we need more leadership on the pitch. I know there are differing views on sending notes onto the pitch, but if you have leaders on the pitch who can make alterations and know how to manage the phases the game and get others to see that too, it must be worth half a dozen points per season if not more.
Hard to capture in actual data but I do think the 'has leadership skills' lens needs to be applied to future signings.

The lack of leadership on the football pitch is shocking at times for us.

It doesn't always transfer onto the pitch tho,back in the championship we had Elphick, Jedinak, Chester and Hourihane who had all been captains of their former clubs and it was a bit of a shit show in that 1st season. It wasn't really until we signed Terry, someone the players could look up to and for leadership that things started to turn around.
By the way I'm not disrespecting any of those players especially Chester as he epitomised the qualities needed in a captain- calm,assured and quite literally put his body on the line for the club. Oh for a prime Chester alongside Konsa today.

My MOTM today. No nonsense performance capped with a goal. Thought it was amusing that the Brighton mob were negatively comparing him to Dunk who spent 85 minutes passing the ball neatly side to side then fucked it the first time he or any of the other big lumps alongside him had to do any actual defending.

I thought he was terrific. Went back to basics whereby if it went anywhere near him he booted it clear.

Not much fancy dan stuff today but he took his goal really well.
and Ash gave him a right bollocking when he came on for not clearing Webster as Ash was clean through!