The Tyrone Mings Thread | Page 107 | Vital Football

The Tyrone Mings Thread

Smith has made a rod for his own back by dropping Mings. If we'd won, Smith might have a chance but losing 4-1 and having to bring Mings off the bench anyway makes Smith look like he doesn't know what he's doing.

Smith has made a rod for his own back by dropping Mings. If we'd won, Smith might have a chance but losing 4-1 and having to bring Mings off the bench anyway makes Smith look like he doesn't know what he's doing.
I don't think dropping Mings was a mistake. He was abysmal at Arsenal and the weakest link in the back 3/back 5. Digging out McGinn while he stood like a statue at the corners, allowing Saka the freedom of the left-side and being entirely ineffective with his distribution. Not too many people were questioning the decision to drop him at the time, with many calling it brave and the right call. Hause was a good matchup with Antonio and the West Ham ability in the air. Having to sub him on wasn't Smith's fault - he could hardly have legislated for the red card/poor refereeing.
Lots of things to level at Smith recently, but not this one for me....

I don't think dropping Mings was a mistake. He was abysmal at Arsenal and the weakest link in the back 3/back 5. Digging out McGinn while he stood like a statue at the corners, allowing Saka the freedom of the left-side and being entirely ineffective with his distribution. Not too many people were questioning the decision to drop him at the time, with many calling it brave and the right call. Hause was a good matchup with Antonio and the West Ham ability in the air. Having to sub him on wasn't Smith's fault - he could hardly have legislated for the red card/poor refereeing.
Lots of things to level at Smith recently, but not this one for me....

IMO, the issue now is that the club captain is pissed off and would probably prefer a change of manager.

IMO, the issue now is that the club captain is pissed off and would probably prefer a change of manager.
If Mings can't handle being dropped for playing badly and wants the manager gone instead of knuckling down then I couldn't give two shits what he wants, but I doubt that's the case.

So many on here were calling him undroppable, saying all he does is shout and chew gum and now we're worried he's being made a scapegoat? The guy is a millionaire pro sportsman - I think he'll be okay.

I'd imagine he is rightly annoyed and I'd hope he is in the sense that he wants to perform better to prove he should always start.

If he's now going to sulk about it then he should be shown the door in January but I seriously doubt that is his actual response. Despite the expert social media analytics presented above I just don't buy it. It's probably a matter of a bruised ego and a little bit of "I told you so" going on which is frankly the reaction of most people in workplaces when they are usurped or passed over for something, it usually passes in most cases.

If he is/does, then he needs to take a long hard look at himself. And quite frankly shouldn't even be the club captain. A player who is dropped only has one correct way to respond and sulking or indicating he wants to move isn't it.

All is good in the world anyway. Despite his dropping for poor form he’s still in Southgate’s England squad.

Dean, a centre back himself, should have realised from the beginning that Tyrone despite his vociferousness, does not have the commanding or physical presence to be the main centre back. He is poor in the air for his height. I feel the same about Konsa. Both would be ok in support of a commanding centre half. Hause is far more commanding but does not have the overall quality to be the answer. Axel is another Mings or Konsa at best and shouldn’t have been brought back. This is a position that has cost us over three years and may ultimately cost Dean his job. Obviously John Terry’s of this world are few and far between but we’ve had 3 years to sort it out and we haven’t.

Dean, a centre back himself, should have realised from the beginning that Tyrone despite his vociferousness, does not have the commanding or physical presence to be the main centre back. He is poor in the air for his height. I feel the same about Konsa. Both would be ok in support of a commanding centre half. Hause is far more commanding but does not have the overall quality to be the answer. Axel is another Mings or Konsa at best and shouldn’t have been brought back. This is a position that has cost us over three years and may ultimately cost Dean his job. Obviously John Terry’s of this world are few and far between but we’ve had 3 years to sort it out and we haven’t.

The world has moved on since Dean's time at centre back, as Dean himself would recognise. Quick thinking, speed, decisive movement are far more important these days. There are numerous occasions when Tyrone has got the decisive tackle in when his fellow defenders have been bypassed. It's why Tyrone has been called up for England; he's a modern CB.

We had a commanding centre back; Engels. Dean moved him on because he didn't offer enough in his all round game for what Dean wanted. Whether he was right is a different matter.

The world has moved on since Dean's time at centre back, as Dean himself would recognise. Quick thinking, speed, decisive movement are far more important these days. There are numerous occasions when Tyrone has got the decisive tackle in when his fellow defenders have been bypassed. It's why Tyrone has been called up for England; he's a modern CB.

We had a commanding centre back; Engels. Dean moved him on because he didn't offer enough in his all round game for what Dean wanted. Whether he was right is a different matter.

Engels was even worse.

I can honestly say its 54 years next month since I started going to the Villa and I can also say that Tyrone Mings wouldn't make my top 20 CB's I've seen play during that time.
Not sure why we are arguing over how good he is because he just isn't He's up there with Zat Knight Curtis Davies and Carlos Cuellar, not McGrath Laursen big Chris Nicholl, Ian Ross Mcnaught, Evans Ugo or even Gareth Southgate

I can honestly say its 54 years next month since I started going to the Villa and I can also say that Tyrone Mings wouldn't make my top 20 CB's I've seen play during that time.
Not sure why we are arguing over how good he is because he just isn't He's up there with Zat Knight Curtis Davies and Carlos Cuellar, not McGrath Laursen big Chris Nicholl, Ian Ross Mcnaught, Evans Ugo or even Gareth Southgate

It's 70 years since I started consciously following Villa, and none of those would make it in today's game. Not even God.

It's 70 years since I started consciously following Villa, and none of those would make it in today's game. Not even God.
No, they're all a bit old now, I'd like to see Mings on the old Villa Park pitch full of sand up against some real hard Bastards that's for sure, he wouldn't last a game, the big fairy.

He's no better than Dunne and James Collins over all mate.