The Douglas Luiz Thread | Page 31 | Vital Football

The Douglas Luiz Thread

problem is Luiz has never excelled at this level, and "on his day", well he hasn't had one of those all season.
That's just simply and plainly not true.

Do me a favour and pop back to page 20 of this thread and read on for a few pages. He was playing brilliantly as part of great midfield at the start of the season, and we, and many pundits noticed and were saying so.

He's struggled more as the rest of our midfield struggled more, but you can't just pretend he's no good and expect people to take that seriously.

Luiz needs better around him, like a few others (think I said this the other day actually) ... and then he has the freedom and confidence and looks a different player. 1st half of this season I thought he was looking tip top tastic and was worrying Man City might come back in for him.

He is a talent and will be quality. Fortunately the club is not short sighted now and will get rid like some bizarrely think will be a good idea.

I guarantee that if the club are stupid enough to release him we will be seeing him flourish for another top club . And you can quote me on that, i am so sure.

Last edited:
I’ve no doubt if you dropped Luiz into any top team around Europe tomorrow he’s be starting champions leagues games for them. I actually think he would do well at Citeh, I was watching Fernandinho the other week and as good a player as he is, I think Luiz is slightly better at looking forward but is certainly not as strong defensively. The pace of the game here is what sometimes catches him out but that will come - and hes

What Luiz has for 22 years old, is a brilliant football brain. The Arsenal away game when it was tight, he cleared one off the line if I remember correctly. He reads the play well, if we didn’t have Luiz for the run in during lockdown 1, we’d have got relegated because he was playing every game at an 8 or 9 rating.

I do think he’s not influencing the game as much as he was then, and it’s a bit of a roller coaster. Like all the midfield, if it’s fast and frantic, that doesn’t suit his game.

The biggest tactical change we need to make is moving SJM forward against the weaker teams. Leave that space in front of the back 4 for Luiz to play in, but move SJM 5-10 yards forward so that he is a 5th option to pass forwards rather than sideways.

I didn’t like seeing SJM sat alongside him for the West Brom match, that was a negative tactic either from the manager or just SJM’s confidence to sit deeper.

Some people have mentioned moving Luiz forward, but I don’t yet see a player who is suited to that combat in the middle, also it would take away from his strengths at recycling the ball efficiently and moving it from wing to wing.

You also don’t need a Roy Keane type tackler in defensive midfield these days as you can’t tackle, you need athletic players who can get a foot in as a player is moving with the ball or one who can read the pass to cut it out.

I’ve no doubt if you dropped Luiz into any top team around Europe tomorrow he’s be starting champions leagues games for them. I actually think he would do well at Citeh, I was watching Fernandinho the other week and as good a player as he is, I think Luiz is slightly better at looking forward but is certainly not as strong defensively. The pace of the game here is what sometimes catches him out but that will come - and hes

What Luiz has for 22 years old, is a brilliant football brain. The Arsenal away game when it was tight, he cleared one off the line if I remember correctly. He reads the play well, if we didn’t have Luiz for the run in during lockdown 1, we’d have got relegated because he was playing every game at an 8 or 9 rating.

I do think he’s not influencing the game as much as he was then, and it’s a bit of a roller coaster. Like all the midfield, if it’s fast and frantic, that doesn’t suit his game.

The biggest tactical change we need to make is moving SJM forward against the weaker teams. Leave that space in front of the back 4 for Luiz to play in, but move SJM 5-10 yards forward so that he is a 5th option to pass forwards rather than sideways.

I didn’t like seeing SJM sat alongside him for the West Brom match, that was a negative tactic either from the manager or just SJM’s confidence to sit deeper.

Some people have mentioned moving Luiz forward, but I don’t yet see a player who is suited to that combat in the middle, also it would take away from his strengths at recycling the ball efficiently and moving it from wing to wing.

You also don’t need a Roy Keane type tackler in defensive midfield these days as you can’t tackle, you need athletic players who can get a foot in as a player is moving with the ball or one who can read the pass to cut it out.

Great post Dan. Totally balanced . We all acknowledge he is in poor form , like 80 percent of the team lets be honest . But instead of being the typical modern fan of instant gratification and writing off too soon the club and plenty of fans will give him time. 22 , he's 22 ffs. Find it quite bizarre that someone so young with a decent cv already gets written off yet someone like Davis who is 2 years older, has been treading water for several seasons gets a free pass with the same ones who are chastising Luiz.

Great post Dan. Totally balanced . We all acknowledge he is in poor form , like 80 percent of the team lets be honest . But instead of being the typical modern fan of instant gratification and writing off too soon the club and plenty of fans will give him time. 22 , he's 22 ffs. Find it quite bizarre that someone so young with a decent cv already gets written off yet someone like Davis who is 2 years older, has been treading water for several seasons gets a free pass with the same ones who are chastising Luiz.

Davis is 3 months older and would have been in the same school year , he also like I've said many times hasn't played a full 90 yet in the PL. Mainly due to his injuries .
I think that's a bit fairer view on things, I get you don't like Davis. Has Wesley been treading water these last 15 months? No, he's been injured not his fault either.
Luiz is a very good player, anyone who can't see it needs a headshake

There is a Keinan Davis thread you know.

Like many of our players Luiz has shown flashes of talent, but the inconsistency is there and at the moment he's consistently bang average / poor.
Re a better DCM , why are people referring to a Roy Keane type hard man ?? I gave Michael Carrick as an example of the type of player we need , someone who won't get brushed off the ball easily and who has an array of excellent passing, a bit of a quarter back.

Luiz is the very least of our problems in midfield. I’m glad some on here don’t manage the team put it that way.

Personally I'd say Mcginn is the least of our midfield problems, but seems to be the go to scapegoat because he's Scottish not Brazilian.

Truth is neither have been hitting their best form in 2021 but the good news is we know and they've shown they can be better.

I'd be more than happy going into next season with them both still in the team and think with Jack back, a good no. 10 and a new right sided attacker we'll see the best of them again.

i was thinking recently about dropping luiz,, he looked out of sorts in defending, ,basically a weak link, i know he has a brilliant footballing brain, but the poor performances from the team, made him look a bit lightweight ,we need more steel in midfield in other words, seanie

Silly mistake again today , won't say it was the game changer because even if it hadn't happened we were losing this anyway, but even so he is a liability in and around our box.

If I was Dean I'd tell him to play the whole of the next game without making a tackle and just use pressure and positioning to affect the game.

Pogba waiting for a fool to come along so he could feel and sort of contact to go down and Luiz duly obliges.

He wasn't even in a threatening position which tells you everything about Luiz's poor decision making and rashness,

I would give him the rest of the season off to reflect on this season and how crap he's been.

Why couldn't that clause be a compulsory buy back one.