The Douglas Luiz Thread | Page 8 | Vital Football

The Douglas Luiz Thread

I was thinking after 20 minutes or so that this lad Reminded me of Carlo Sanchez. Good given time but with a tendency to dawdle for too long.

After those initial stages though I was impressed. Moved the ball around well and his goal really was a beauty. He's not the finished article yet but this guy will be Brazil's number one in his position by the time the next world cup roles around. If he can remember that he's not got all the time in the world that is, though a few others need telling that as well.

I thought he improved as the game went on. Obviously at fault for the second goal, was trying to be too clever and messed up. He had some good touches and some good passes and looked comfortable on the ball. I don’t see him particularly as a ball winning enforcer type, he’s more of a deep lying playmaker. I’d happily have him in the team for the next game

He had me after a couple of mins if I'm honest.
Picked up the ball on the edge of our box and immediately drove forward and picked a pass .

He who cannot be criticised just doesn't do that.

However, awful for the goal but really grew into the game.

I will put my house on it. He is going to be a great player for us or someone else.

But then again. Its shouldn't be a surprise bearing in mind his early pedigree and that Citeh wanted to have a buy back clause.

He had me after a couple of mins if I'm honest.
Picked up the ball on the edge of our box and immediately drove forward and picked a pass .

He who cannot be criticised just doesn't do that.

However, awful for the goal but really grew into the game.

I will put my house on it. He is going to be a great player for us or someone else.

But then again. Its shouldn't be a surprise bearing in mind his early pedigree and that Citeh wanted to have a buy back clause.

He's Brazilian he only cost 15m! :wahey:

Spot on McP - if it goes tits up this year we've already covered ourselves if one of these signings pays off. So we've still won compared to last time.

Engels, really really impressed me. Mings was well just Mings. I understand starting the season with Elmo and Trez on the same side. However Elmo went missing more than once today in afraid. I doubt it will be long before we see Guilbert?

After his initial mistake, I thought he was very good and happy to have the ball unlike he who shall not be criticised.

The goal was great he just looked up and lamped it into the top corner like it was a training game , he may be a bit too good for a defensive role at Villa anyway

Not a chance of keeping him on beyond next season, Far too good for the likes of us I would imagine, different gravy to the rest of our team

I was a bit unsure about him in the 1st half, yes he clearly has plenty of talent but seemed a bit casual on the ball and gave it away a few times. Credit to him he definitely improved 2nd half and that was a top class strike for his goal. Hope he has a few of them in him this season. I'm still keen to see how Marvelous will fit in, he seems to have plenty of pace and energy which I though we lacked at times today.

He definitely improved throughout the game, overall I think it was a very good debut.

A few times as he was receiving the ball he looked casual as there was a Bournemouth player closing in, but he seemed to know what he was doing and showed some great strength.

I think he'll be great.

Luiz and Hourihane in a double pivot in front of the back four with Marvelous coming in to replace H. when he’s used to the setup.
Jack, S,J. M. behind Wesley.
There looked like too much space in our midfield yesterday. An extra midfielder might tighten things up.
Get Guilbert up to speed and that’ll give us quality options for crosses and even more pace.

I thought DS would stick to our established trio of Hourihane, McGinn and Grealish in midfield, and use Luiz as a sub for another game or two. However, maybe DS has decided he has to take risks to integrate the signings, and to do it sooner rather than later. If Luiz is as good as he, and others, think maybe that's the right way of doing it. Hope he'll also risk Guilbert instead of Elmo.

Outstanding goal of Luiz, one of the best I've seen. The flight was perfect; the keeper had no chance. MOTD of course didn't bother discussing it.

I think DS will stick with his preferred formation, so only one of Hourihane, Luiz and Marvelous to start. Hopefully a lot of coaching is going on this week if Luiz is going to start against Everton.