The Douglas Luiz Thread | Page 63 | Vital Football

The Douglas Luiz Thread

A mate text me after the game tonight. He isn’t a villa fan and not once have I spoken to him about Dougie .

‘That Luiz, frustrating but clearly very talented. Has that X factor above anyone else, if anyone was going to pick a pass it was him’.

Probably a pretty fair summary not just for the game tonight but so far with us. And at barely 23 and a half and with one of the best midfielders seen in the premier league era as his new boss there is much to work with in my humble.

Yep. And it was mentioned last night that he only showed up after 60 mins . While I won’t argue that he wasn’t on it all game ( who was ?) he was showing a lot long before 60 mins.

Absolutely love Douggie. His first season was peppered with individual errors (wasn't everyone's that season), but they've become less and less and what's left is just a classy, intelligent footballer. His ball retention and progression under pressure is truly top class.

A mate text me after the game tonight. He isn’t a villa fan and not once have I spoken to him about Dougie .

‘That Luiz, frustrating but clearly very talented. Has that X factor above anyone else, if anyone was going to pick a pass it was him’.

Probably a pretty fair summary not just for the game tonight but so far with us. And at barely 23 and a half and with one of the best midfielders seen in the premier league era as his new boss there is much to work with in my humble.
He's still no Conor Hourihane though, is he?

Absolutely love Douggie. His first season was peppered with individual errors (wasn't everyone's that season), but they've become less and less and what's left is just a classy, intelligent footballer. His ball retention and progression under pressure is truly top class.
He is currently our best player and the next that will fetch serious money, I struggle to get my head around he's only 23.

In the lockdown season he was one of the very best DM's in the league once the league restarted.

If we can get him back to that level then we have a top player. I don't think he has been bad since then but hasn't got back to that level of consistency.

In the lockdown season he was one of the very best DM's in the league once the league restarted.

If we can get him back to that level then we have a top player. I don't think he has been bad since then but hasn't got back to that level of consistency.
He does Brazillian things including cynical fouls it's part of his upbringing, just as we are taught if in doubt kick it out and get under them.
We have to harness his skills not worry about risky passes, silly tackle that's never going to change.

I don't think Douggie's niggly fouls are an issue but more that we need to get the team to rotate in doing them just like City do. 100% planned.

He does Brazillian things including cynical fouls it's part of his upbringing, just as we are taught if in doubt kick it out and get under them.
We have to harness his skills not worry about risky passes, silly tackle that's never going to change.

You're right - the perfect all round player doesn't exist. It's like moaning because Messi lost a 50/50 challenge...he isnt there for that, and he never will be. Hone Dougie's talents and he is a top player.

His best performance for me. Better in the second half but a couple of times in the first half he flicked the ball forward over a defender and then ran on to collect it. Great skill!

And very promising change in his game already, as I thought last night was his best game for us. As you say, at his age, there is time, he does need to push on, hopefully last night wasn't just because it was v his former club - I doubt it was.

Luiz can be a nightmare. there is a wonderful player in there but he just seems to want to be a show off at times, looks bored with it all. Not sure about him.