The Douglas Luiz Thread | Page 62 | Vital Football

The Douglas Luiz Thread

I just don't think he's that good. The fact that he's Brazilian seems to give him bonus points among some of us. He's not a DM. He's rash on the pitch too. The way Marv played yesterday, Doug should be starting on the bench.

I just don't think he's that good. The fact that he's Brazilian seems to give him bonus points among some of us. He's not a DM. He's rash on the pitch too. The way Marv played yesterday, Doug should be starting on the bench.
I feel like SG will prefer Marv overall. Marv has the odd howler in him, like his poor pass and then foul yesterday when the ball ended up with Gallagher and the advantage should have been played.

But Marv is far more disciplined than Luiz, sticks to his job and does his job IMO pretty damn well. He's an underrated player. I think SG likes him and I expect him to be more of a regular for us.

Marv was dreadful a few games ago according to many and has hardly played in 3 seasons. SG comes in and there is a perceived upturn in performances from him. Luiz spends 5 weeks out injured comes back for 20 mins and is now the only player in the squad that doesn’t start with a clean slate under SG according to some. Sounds balanced and fair.:shrug:

20 minute sub appearance after being injured for 5 weeks and as usual a players written off as useless and sold.

Within a few weeks he'll be starting again and marvellous will be back on the bench. Why? Because Doug is the better player end of. Gerrard will see it even if people here don't.

And that "red card" was an embarrassment for the ref. Scrabbling like a kid trying to get his card out of his pocket he couldn't wait to brandish the red and get his name in the papers. He only gave him a yellow to spare his own blushes. Just based on that he should never ref above Sunday league level again.

Instead of spending the time worrying about others opinions, it might be refreshing to concentrate on yours fine folks of Vital Villa.

Thought I heard as recently as this year that he still needed an interpreter on the training ground.

Regardless, I'm still not convinced by him - here's hoping SG finds what he can do well and consistently, he just doesn't read the game well enough for me.

Not sure about that as I'm sure Dougie was interpreting for Wesley at times.

I get the feeling people think you can't play DM or deep-lying midfield without being either a coked-up doorman in football boots or an angry ankle-biter. Douggie on song just kind of pops up in the right place to intercept or steal the ball off someone's toe and then offers much much more going forward than Marv. Marv gets the rounds of applause for sliding in, which is all very fun of course, but I'd say Douggie is like Konsa compared to Marv being like Mings - quiet, assured and calm.

Could come down to the system under Gerrard and with a compact midfield 3, I can absolutely see Douggie thriving between McGinn (well, the McGinn from this Saturday) and Ramsey.

I feel like SG will prefer Marv overall. Marv has the odd howler in him, like his poor pass and then foul yesterday when the ball ended up with Gallagher and the advantage should have been played.

But Marv is far more disciplined than Luiz, sticks to his job and does his job IMO pretty damn well. He's an underrated player. I think SG likes him and I expect him to be more of a regular for us.
We don’t know if Gerrard will prefer Nakamba or Luiz as Luiz has been out injured. They are different type of players so it is possible Gerrard will prefer Nakamba’s style over Luiz - more energetic and more combative but we don’t know for sure. Nakamba has certainly had a good start under Gerrard but he’s a limited player in my view, I also think he charges around the pitch a bit too much (I.e. not disciplined positionally) but maybe Gerrard can improve that side of his game and to be fair he has seemed better on that in the last 2 games. Equally maybe Gerrard can improve Luiz’s game on the defensive side. Either way it’s nice to have options.

Luiz offers more going forward than Nakamba but can be a liability with rash challenges in and around our box. Cure that'd we'll have an excellent midfielder.

I get the feeling people think you can't play DM or deep-lying midfield without being either a coked-up doorman in football boots or an angry ankle-biter. Douggie on song just kind of pops up in the right place to intercept or steal the ball off someone's toe and then offers much much more going forward than Marv. Marv gets the rounds of applause for sliding in, which is all very fun of course, but I'd say Douggie is like Konsa compared to Marv being like Mings - quiet, assured and calm.

Could come down to the system under Gerrard and with a compact midfield 3, I can absolutely see Douggie thriving between McGinn (well, the McGinn from this Saturday) and Ramsey.

Yes, Dougie wasn't in the team to smash into people and be a destroyer. Deano preferred to play with a ball player in that role who can retain possession and spray the ball about a bit. Marv is a completely different type who I don't think really fitted into what Deano wanted to do. Looking at the Rangers team Gerrard may prefer to go with a more orthodox DM that would suit Marv far better