The DoubleTree by Hilton | Vital Football

The DoubleTree by Hilton

Mahatmafoot

Vital Squad Member
Nice to know the Lane hotel will be back in use with a prestigious name. Still the Pigs have Bert's Bed and Breakfast near the Sty as a competitor. Amazing that as a kid everything the Pigs did in all aspects of ground and club was miles better than anything we ever got. Never thought at the time it would ever happen that we would take over. Compare the Sty to the Lane in ,say, 1965 as an example. The only thing better about the Lane was the atmosphere and lack of piggy smells.

Last edited:
Good news MMF, and I share your sentiments about the past.
Strange how things turn out, isn’t it?
Lets hope it stays this way. :yes:

Great news - looking forward to a midweek game in late November with overnight at the Doubletree - life doesn't get much better (y)

SUFC as a business is being run well. Now we just have to get the first team back on track. If money bags Villa gave us circa £30 million for Berge, that would leave a healthy £24 million after the GENK fee. I am sure Slav could add 3 good players for that. Great news about the Hotel and Double Tree are certainly one of the better ones.

Sheffield wasn't just blessed with a shit liebour council in those days but a bent pig one to boot. They got free stands built whilst we were refused planning permission for a new piss corner on the kop. Betts and his "friends" made sure of that as did those before him especially that complete pig lady garden Joe Ashton. Hopefully they'll be liquidated soon and their stench will no longer be a blot on the landscape.

The Blades in Mosborough, Beighton, Woodhouse voting for a louse like Betts all these years have done United no favours at all.

Thankfully the Liebour vote is collapsing in Sheffield south east as the demographics in old pit villages change. The old bugger Betts will be gone after this term, and good bloody riddance to the corrupt pig.

Sheffield wasn't just blessed with a shit liebour council in those days but a bent pig one to boot. They got free stands built whilst we were refused planning permission for a new piss corner on the kop. Betts and his "friends" made sure of that as did those before him especially that complete pig lady garden Joe Ashton. Hopefully they'll be liquidated soon and their stench will no longer be a blot on the landscape.
Think it was Reg Brearley who asked for permission to develop the Lane for the World Student Games which was refused by the Pig/council as locals were protesting against it. Apparently it was less than a handful.

Think it was Reg Brearley who asked for permission to develop the Lane for the World Student Games which was refused by the Pig/council as locals were protesting against it. Apparently it was less than a handful.

Bang right mate. Instead we're still paying for the abortion through council tax.

There was a model of what they wanted to build at BDTBL for a while it was quite a stadium but had a running track round it so we’d have been a fair way from the pitch

There was a model of what they wanted to build at BDTBL for a while it was quite a stadium but had a running track round it so we’d have been a fair way from the pitch
Yes I remember seeing the plans and really didn't like them and as you say we would have been well away from the pitch just like the soulless Wet Sham monstrosity.

The design was straight out of the Book of 1960's/1970's Eastern Block Stadiums. We dodged a right bullet not getting that built. If it had been built, it would have been demolished by now.

Absolutely
There bent and corrupt policies to try to promote their favourite club over "the other lot" has resulted in Sheffield football and Sheffield the city being what it is now..........Shit.

I read a website article on Sheffield as a shopping, eating and leisure destination from a visitor a couple of months ago...........and fucking hell !!!!

It has made me want to leave because every word of it was true.

Despite being the 5th largest city in terms of population it is in the bottom ten in almost every category of dining, bars, restaurants, shopping, buildings of historical interest etc.

There was even a section which was just called " Does it look like a nice place" and Sheffield was bottom three in that category.

Hardly surprising considering, a night out is a crawl around dirty cheap bars, avoiding spice heads on the street and the knuckledraggers in the pubs.

And a day out is a trip to t'market and the various poundlands.

Even TJ Hughes has decided it's too upmarket for Sheffield

Absolutely
There bent and corrupt policies to try to promote their favourite club over "the other lot" has resulted in Sheffield football and Sheffield the city being what it is now..........Shit.

I read a website article on Sheffield as a shopping, eating and leisure destination from a visitor a couple of months ago...........and fucking hell !!!!

Despite being the 5th largest city in terms of population it is in the bottom ten in almost every category of dining, bars, restaurants, shopping, buildings of historical interest etc.

There was even a section which was just called " Does it look like a nice place" and Sheffield was bottom three in that category.

Hardly surprising considering, a night out is a crawl around dirty cheap bars, avoiding spice heads on the street and the knuckledraggers in the pubs.

Sad but unfortunately very true

Absolutely

Great advert for Sheffield, surprised anybody still lives there reading that, think I will remain in the Derry countryside.
Isn't a bit of a stretch to blame any council for the failure of its football clubs. Surely that's down to the owners of either football club, and United have had more than their fair share of iffy ones. Isn't one still on the run, another insider trading, is it one or two have served time and one unsure of his sexuality. Both clubs failures in winning silverware is self-inflicted, bottom line is if you followed football clubs to win things regularly you wouldn't sign up with either clubs from Sheffield.

Great advert for Sheffield, surprised anybody still lives there reading that, think I will remain in the Derry countryside.
Isn't a bit of a stretch to blame any council for the failure of its football clubs. Surely that's down to the owners of either football club, and United have had more than their fair share of iffy ones. Isn't one still on the run, another insider trading, is it one or two have served time and one unsure of his sexuality. Both clubs failures in winning silverware is self-inflicted, bottom line is if you followed football clubs to win things regularly you wouldn't sign up with either clubs from Sheffield.

I love all areas of Ireland
If it wasn't for our lass I'd have been living over there yonks ago.

I'm not sure the council is blameless, even for the footballing failures

Theyre not entirely to blame, but not blameless either.

All business thrives in areas where business is the name of the game

All business people thrive in an area that welcomes business

All businesses thriving in a certain area, attract people to the area that may bring huge commercial opportunities to their adopted local football club

Plus the councils plans to decimate United whilst promoting their preferred choice of club did more damage than good. Two big clubs competing is always better from a footballing perspective.

But they have only wanted one club for decades, and it would have been playing at Hillsborough, with more grants to extend it to the 60,000 that the deluded twats think they'd need if they succeeded.

Absolutely oblivious to the fact that both clubs have big support because of history and tradition

It's no surprise that the biggest and most successful football clubs are from major cities that have reinvented themselves properly.

In the 1970's and 80's, everywhere was a shithole, Sheffield remained one thanks to the fuckwits in charge

Last edited:
Absolutely

For a chuckle we can look 20 years back to the Heart of the City plans and mock-ups, they were going to turn Sheffield into a modern buzzing metropolis - but thanks to the usual SCC incompetence and misspending little good came of the big plans.

In fact Heart of the City was such a failure they're going to waste another half a billion quid on Heart of the City II.