The Death Penalty | Page 4 | Vital Football

The Death Penalty

The death penalty?

• Bring it back

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Never

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
Well I certainly wouldn’t like to be tried by a jury and put my life in their hands.

Jury's are great as a theory - people like you judging you on the available evidence - my experience is at least 6 nutters, with biases, who interpret the same evidence in different ways depending on what they assumed would be true.

ie (and this is genuine).

Bloke found hiding under a bush by copper - no DNA evidence - nothing on him at all - definitely guilty.

Bloke's blood found on windowsill after breaking glass to gain entry. Same size footprint on sofa under said window - neighbour eye witness, takes a grainy photo of him exiting - maybe he cut his hand looking through the window to see if anyone was hurt.

Crime and crimes are not getting simpler they are getting more and more complex. Let alone the intricacies of law, the legal arguments and points of law that often interrupt trials . I just don’t believe that every member of every jury is totally engaged in the process they are in. Many will not want to be there in the first place, will not understand, will be unable to decide on the facts due to their prejudices and opinions and will not be completely impartial. That is human nature I’m afraid.
Some of the bigger trials go on for weeks and weeks and are incredibly complicated. It is unfair to expect a member of the jury to be stacking shelves in the supermarket one day and the next being asked to decide on complicated DNA evidence or understand complicated legal process which the judge can explain all he/she likes but has no way of knowing they truly understand.

In France they have a panel of judges presiding over trials and I can certainly see the sense of that . But then let’s face it despite being experts they do not represent society as a whole given their no doubt Oxbridge or Russell group education.

Jury's are great as a theory - people like you judging you on the available evidence - my experience is at least 6 nutters, with biases, who interpret the same evidence in different ways depending on what they assumed would be true.

ie (and this is genuine).

Bloke found hiding under a bush by copper - no DNA evidence - nothing on him at all - definitely guilty.

Bloke's blood found on windowsill after breaking glass to gain entry. Same size footprint on sofa under said window - neighbour eye witness, takes a grainy photo of him exiting - maybe he cut his hand looking through the window to see if anyone was hurt.
The jury system should be abolished to be honest. Idiots off the street shouldn't be deciding complicated things where there's a lot at stake.

The jury system should be abolished to be honest. Idiots off the street shouldn't be deciding complicated things where there's a lot at stake.

Oi, who you calling an idiot! lol

I half agree, I'd shrink a jury to 6 and as per Melon's post, I'd have a three Judge panel. The public make their decision based on a public's perception of what they are told, the Judge's are their to handle the true law/legal/scientific shit that we can presume would be above the public.

We don't always insist on a unanimous verdict in cases, so make it a majority verdict. 4/6 public + 2/3 judges - guilty and vice versa - I don't see it as being any less reliable than the system we have, but there would obviously be hung elements but at least the retrials would be shorter, more focused and so on.

The Clapham Omnibus theory was fine a generation ago, times have moved on.

Yep. How the fcuk can they be entrusted to sit for 3 months on a multi million pound complicated fraud trial when they can’t do simple things like stand 2 metres apart or wear a face mask. Lol.

Last edited:
I know its not connected but I had a thought: I wonder how Barrack, Hillary, Joe and co felt that night watching the execution of Bin Laden on there private TV stream. Just a passing thought as we are talking death penalties

I need help from someone to comprehend this. She gets away with murder and walks away with 7 years maybe for manslaughter, she’ll probably serve 3-4. And that’s if she doesn’t escape to Albania before.

I can’t be the only one who gets outraged at this, psycho or not she’s dangerous to very indefensible victims

https://news.sky.com/story/paranoid-schizophrenic-who-slit-girls-throat-cleared-of-murder-12150939
I have no help to give on this one. I cant understand it and it blows my mind. It also gets me fecking fuming and pacing around the house. So im useless.

I have no help to give on this one. I cant understand it and it blows my mind. It also gets me fecking fuming and pacing around the house. So im useless.

Yes, I asked my missus why this isn’t top of the headlines and why isn’t she outraged. I’d like to do something to the woman that results in a slow and painful death put it that way. Our justice system is a joke