The death penalty?

• Bring it back

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Never

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters

danvilla2

I’m not an expert
I’m sure we must have had a thread on this before, but I couldn’t find one.

I’m generally down the middle on many issues, and liberal in others. When it comes to the most serious of crimes, I am very I guess old school in that I believe criminals should face the ultimate punishment, and have their life ended.

There is an argument that “people suffer more locked up” or “they can be reformed”. Someone on several life sentences has no reason to be reformed and are taking public money away from services which can help prevent or reform other criminals.

In the most serious of cases where the criminal admits a crime, there is overwhelming evidence that the person has committed the offence and there is sufficient time for appeals, I believe we should end a criminals life via euthanasia in very exceptional circumstances. This could be one of the upsides of Brexit as I believe the EU have banned corporal punishment (but would need to fact check that).

Conversely, I would liberalise the pettier crimes initially so as not to damage someone’s potential reform, for example showing on a CV but as a one strike policy.

Case in point for euthanasia https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-54886213

A nurse has been rearrested on suspicion of murdering eight babies and the attempted murder of another nine at the Countess of Chester Hospital.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me I would need to ask myself "could I do it?" Meaning giving the lethal injection, pulling the cord or whatever it maybe.

My answer to that is "No I couldn't" so I don't expect someone else to want too either.

Yes there is the "eye for an eye..."

Also

"Two wrongs don't make a right"

Maybe I would feel differently if it was one of my own children. I don't know.

Its an emotive subject I don't think there is one answer too therefore I haven't chosen any answer so I am in the words of Westminster "Abstaining" 😏

Do you mean the Death Penalty Dan? Very controversial but if we had a Brexit style vote it would be back but it won't get there our MP's won't let the UK vote on something they are against again. They misjudge the mood of the "people"

Last edited:
Do you mean the Death Penalty Dan? Very controversial but if we had a Brexit style vote it would be back but it won't get there our MP's won't let the UK vote on something they are against again. They misjudge the mood of the "people"

Euthanasia sounds more humane than death penalty, but yes the same thing.

I agree on the point about it not getting through on a national vote but on vital villa wondered what the consensus was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Euthanasia sounds more humane than death penalty, but yes the same thing.

I agree on the point about it not getting through on a national vote but on a vital villa wondered what the consensus was.

with the DNA and forensics, we have now, I'd say it's a yes from me. As for being the person doing the injection or pulling the lever. The case you mention if someone had killed one of my Grandkids, just leave me in a cell with him and a baseball bat.

with the DNA and forensics, we have now, I'd say it's a yes from me. As for being the person doing the injection or pulling the lever. The case you mention if someone had killed one of my Grandkids, just leave me in a cell with him and a baseball bat.

with her in this case

Terrorists, murderers.... no problem, I'll inject them/pull the lever etc.

Those two from Tipton who murdered and chopped up a woman the one met in a pub in Dudley (they were only found guilty yesterday).... they should be put down, no problem.

Pre DNA I was against the death penalty because I didnt trust our bent coppers not to have fitted someone up.
Now however for the most serious of crimes, where admission of guilt or DNA evidence is conclusive, I have no qualms about seeing them dipatched.

The problem I have with the death penalty is one wrong conviction or set up and you’ve got rid of an innocent person. And that’s the thing that can’t happen.

That’s why I’d have say three or four hoops and checks if you like. Multiple murders only, solid DNA evidence, admission of guilt by the culprit and a person high up in the legal chain who makes the decision - but as no legal expert I don’t know how this works.

I wouldn’t envisage (if I had my way) all murderers getting the death penalty, this would be a few and far between where the life sentences amount to say over 100 years where a person would struggle to outlive that age.

I have argued for a long time that people like Shipman, and the so called Yorkshire ripper and many others like them are not human beings. Yes they are beings but not humans such as us. I do not personally know anybody that would carry out these such acts. For this reason I dont believe that they have ANY human rights. However if you take the life of these individuals does that not put us in a similar category. I would much prefer they were put in a dark cell in solitary for the rest of their lives. Let them suffer.

Said it time and time again - absolutely it should be on the books.

But limited and rare circumstances for some key crimes only. Yes massive hoops to jump through, heavily DNA based but not solely DNA and even then, final decision goes to a panel.