The dawn of a new era...... | Vital Football

The dawn of a new era......

tomytony

Vital Champions League
as Slav takes over the reins.Good luck to him, he'll need it.

So, the new man's in. What will be judged as success?

1)Automatic promotion
2)Promotion through the play off's
3) play off position finish
4) top 10 finish.

The expectations are massive. many seem to think we will walk it and a return to the Promised Land is guaranteed. Our non scoring strikers will score goals for fun and last season's abysmal performances, lack of initiative, guts, and focus will magically disappear as we stride forward without a hint of a hangover.

For me, I reckon we'll be back to 'same owd', flattering to deceive for a while and ending up mid table.

I can't see some of the duds transforming magically-McB, Moose, Brewster, Burke- just don't have the basics in place to be top players even in the Champ and i wouldn't be surprised if Billy ends up top scorer.

Obviously I hope for better, will still be disappointed if we don't get promoted but I think last year's disastrous performances won't just drift away and we will turn the clock back to the 'good old days' of 2-3 yrs ago.

If McBurnie and Brewster don't have the basics in place to be top players in the Championship, then how come they were top players in the Championship the last time they played at this level? Burke was also a top player at this level in the past, which is why he got a big money move. We'd have to play him in a wide attacking role, rather than as a striker, to see anything like his best though. Moose has all the attributes to be a top PL player, let alone at Champ level, but absolutely none of the application. I expect us to try and move him on, even if it is on loan. He'll get a clean slate from Slav though, so who knows?

I wonder how many people were saying similar things about Norwich last season, before they romped the league? We ended with two points (and two wins) more than they got when they were relegated...

In terms of the season, the aim has to be promotion. It'll be a hard slog as always, but there are a lot of clubs struggling financially who won't be able to spend to improve, so anything less than top six will be a failure.

as Slav takes over the reins.Good luck to him, he'll need it.

So, the new man's in. What will be judged as success?

1)Automatic promotion
2)Promotion through the play off's
3) play off position finish
4) top 10 finish.

The expectations are massive. many seem to think we will walk it and a return to the Promised Land is guaranteed. Our non scoring strikers will score goals for fun and last season's abysmal performances, lack of initiative, guts, and focus will magically disappear as we stride forward without a hint of a hangover.

For me, I reckon we'll be back to 'same owd', flattering to deceive for a while and ending up mid table.

I can't see some of the duds transforming magically-McB, Moose, Brewster, Burke- just don't have the basics in place to be top players even in the Champ and i wouldn't be surprised if Billy ends up top scorer.

Obviously I hope for better, will still be disappointed if we don't get promoted but I think last year's disastrous performances won't just drift away and we will turn the clock back to the 'good old days' of 2-3 yrs ago.
The opposite way of looking at the above is why did the same set of dud players (in the main) have an excellent season the one before last ?. They could just as easy replicate that form again.
Something went wrong after Berge came in and Lundstram started the Scouse mardy act. He has now gone and Slav will have the respect of the dressing room. For whtever reason Wilder seemed to lose that respect.
For me with our squad and Prem budget we have to finish top 6 and ideally automatic.

I think owt less than top 6 and Slav will be struggling to hold on to his job.Yes we had a very poor season last time but most of our squad have performed very well at Championship level.It will be very interesting to see how long it takes for Slav to get his style&methods over to the players.COME ON YOU RED&WHITE WIZAAAAARRRRDDDDSSSSSSS.UTB

Good points as always and we can refer to many old adages to prove or disprove points made.

eg good players don't become bad players overnight but what about players who produced nothing for a whole season? - 230 odd overnights they had
eg class is permanent, form is temporary- but there wasn't much temporary in the context of a complete season of misfiring mediocrity.
eg you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear- well Wilder did that for one season to his credit but can it be done again with a different needle holder?

The point that Brewster & McB scored so easily in the Champ serves only to beg the question why they couldn't do it in the PL? If they're not good enough at that level they are not the long term answer. Burke has scored 19 goals in 6 seasons including U23 games and a season in Scotland when he got over 20% of them.

A clean slate, a fresh start, a new man, a new style, a different approach will liven things up.

He has the same ingredients though and will they have the verve and vim of Cw's 1st 3 years or will they be as flat, as jaded, as last year?

I fervently hope he can get the mix right. He doesn't have the loyalty or commitment to those players that CW had and that is no bad thing. He won't perserve with the dross as CW did.They will be judged on merit and, as so, so many on here said so often, particularly with the signings, they were very poor.
Will Slav turn them into good signings or, at a lower level, will they be adequate? Let's hope so because, as the Prince pointed out, the core players that got us up were the ones who were playing every week and the signings were the ones on the periphery.

They're the ones who have to prove themselves. We'll soon see if they have the technique, the ability - albeit at a lower level than they were signed for.

The opposite way of looking at the above is why did the same set of dud players (in the main) have an excellent season the one before last ?. They could just as easy replicate that form again.
Something went wrong after Berge came in and Lundstram started the Scouse mardy act. He has now gone and Slav will have the respect of the dressing room. For whtever reason Wilder seemed to lose that respect.
For me with our squad and Prem budget we have to finish top 6 and ideally automatic.

FFS stop complicating it.

My brain hurts!!!!!

Good points as always and we can refer to many old adages to prove or disprove points made.

eg good players don't become bad players overnight but what about players who produced nothing for a whole season? - 230 odd overnights they had
eg class is permanent, form is temporary- but there wasn't much temporary in the context of a complete season of misfiring mediocrity.
eg you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear- well Wilder did that for one season to his credit but can it be done again with a different needle holder?

The point that Brewster & McB scored so easily in the Champ serves only to beg the question why they couldn't do it in the PL? If they're not good enough at that level they are not the long term answer. Burke has scored 19 goals in 6 seasons including U23 games and a season in Scotland when he got over 20% of them.

A clean slate, a fresh start, a new man, a new style, a different approach will liven things up.

He has the same ingredients though and will they have the verve and vim of Cw's 1st 3 years or will they be as flat, as jaded, as last year?

I fervently hope he can get the mix right. He doesn't have the loyalty or commitment to those players that CW had and that is no bad thing. He won't perserve with the dross as CW did.They will be judged on merit and, as so, so many on here said so often, particularly with the signings, they were very poor.
Will Slav turn them into good signings or, at a lower level, will they be adequate? Let's hope so because, as the Prince pointed out, the core players that got us up were the ones who were playing every week and the signings were the ones on the periphery.

They're the ones who have to prove themselves. We'll soon see if they have the technique, the ability - albeit at a lower level than they were signed for.
I believe that with a better midfield and creativity Brewster, Jebbison and McB would score plenty. Slav has to get that right first priority.

I believe that with a better midfield and creativity Brewster, Jebbison and McB would score plenty. Slav has to get that right first priority.
I sincerely hope you are right BfL. For me Brewster's attitude & commitment don't ( didn't) look right and McB just doesn't look like a footballer.

Whatever the reason, we went from a hardworking set of winners, to a bunch of fyffes bananas, like someone flicked a switch. Good luck to Slav and his coaches. I know which team I preferred. I hope he can find a bit of magic.

I sincerely hope you are right BfL. For me Brewster's attitude & commitment don't ( didn't) look right and McB just doesn't look like a footballer.
Something kicked off with the "band of brothers" when Jonny Foreigner, Sander Berge came in. They will have presumed on higher wages and the fans immediately latched onto him as the star player marque signing. I just have a feeling that this was the start of the festering discontent in the dressing room ?.
Wilder created that and it worked in spectacular fashion to get us a double promotion but soon as that band of brothers were under threat it backfired.
The difference with say Villa is they will bring in 2-3 marque signings per season and so there is an acknowledgement of continual squad improvement and strenghtening.
We make one signing outside our normal and the rest are rough diamonds and championship players hoping to make it in the Prem.
We don't only have to get promoted but accept that without significant New investment we could become the Northern Norwich yoyoing between the top 2 tiers.
Slav at least starts with a clean plate so no band of brothers, everyone has to prove themselves from today.
If they don't perform they will not play, no peroni culture loyalty.

As a point of interest BLF, my understanding is that Berge was not a Wilder signing.
He had earmarked two other mid-fielders that he wanted - he was given Berge instead.
This, I think (but don’t know) was just the start of the breakdown between our owner and our manager.

There's only one place to aim for and that's top.
If we don't get top, get 2nd, if we don't get 2nd then play offs.

If we aim for the play offs we will fail, it's us innit, we'll always fail.

So aiming for the top gives us six bites at the cherry

Hope he's been horrible to everybody - they need a good shake up
Some of em (especially De Moose&Rhian) defo need a kick up the ass but the likes of Bash certainly don't Germaine. I want to be back at BDBL for the Brum game even tho it's a shite KO time and then i'll know things(covid) are on the mend.UTB