FA Cup Qtr Finalists 2018
UAFA CUP 2013
League Cup Runners Up 2006
Premier League 8 yrs
Promoted to Premiership (Championship Runners Up): 2005
Second Division Champions (Now League 1): 2002/03, 2015/16 2017/18
Third Division Champions (Now League 2): 1996/97
Auto Windscreens Shield Trophy Winners: 1999

With the Whelan dynasty about to end I think it fair to say WOW what a fantastic list of honors he has presided over. We have gone from a relatively unknown to a highly respected football club the world over what an amazing achievement in 22yrs.
I have been blessed to support this fantastic club for 63 years but the Whelan era has been something else. I would like to send my personal thanks to Mr Whelan for everything he has done for Wigan Athletic and long may he be remembered in the history of our great club.

Last edited:
I think the Freight Rover from 1985 can be scrubbed from that list and replace by the 2013 European Tour. That makes it an even more impressive list.

Indeed we have all those things to thank the Whelan family for,lets hope the new incumbents bring us some further fantastic memories!!

Makes you wonder doesn't it why so many can't or couldn't wait to have a pop at the bloke when things went a bit off which wasn't very often

Any way thanks DW for a brilliant experience many that I thought would never happen watching this brilliant little club of ours Wembley visits a European experience and to top it off a major trophy the fa cup I thank you

When you think back to when he took over in 95, we are miles away from where we were as a club then.

What a journey. Fitting really that they are leaving us when we are on the up again.

What a mouthwatering season next season. All the local derby's, plus WBA, Stoke, some big away followings coming.. Better atmospheres. Hope we can do well.

I was working abroad when he took over. I had feared we were on the way to oblivion.

I came back and we had the Three Amigos playing for us. We played Barrow in the Cup and I was working there. There was something different about the atmosphere that day and it has been buoyant ever since.

But I never dreamed we would go on to play at the top level and win the Cup. We had had some amazing times. And I keep stressing that many teams look on our past 20 years with envy.

Thanks Dave

I was at that meeting at the old supporters club when DW first announced his plans.
So the day after the media thought it quite humourous but not as much as my work colleagues.
However, the ridicule did not affect me one jot, there is something about DW that showed itself that night. I rather knew he meant it, and he could indeed implement those plans.

AWESOME

I to was at that meeting and it's amazing what Latics have achieved since Uncle Dave took over. He certainly delivered on his promise.

How lucky we have been as supporters. for us who started supporting them in non league we have been the luckiest of all. We have experienced the heights and suffered the lows, never ever bored. Thanks DW.