The Danny Rose or Ben Davies conundrum | Vital Football

The Danny Rose or Ben Davies conundrum

VitalFootballAdmin

Vital Squad Member
Staff member
The left back position has been pretty much undisputed for most of this season because of the ongoing injury issues of Danny Rose.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?7524377">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Rose is better. The question should be who we replace Rose with though we all know he is off in the summer.

Real Deal - 21/2/2018 07:45

Rose is better. The question should be who we replace Rose with though we all know he is off in the summer.

We all think that, but yet our winning % without Rose is higher.

Agreed, but when was the last time Rose was 'Fit' for anything? We have managed well without him for a year now.

Rose was better.
Davies is now better IMO.
Davies end product is far superior now.
Rose especially when we have to play lorente...never ever crosses early, so we do not exploit his one strength...no wonder he is bereft of confidence...
Davies keeps on his feet and is a better crosser and he is not afraid to have a pop at goal.
Rose is too slow now and has to keep turning back on himself, resort to trickery...he cant go past player like they were standing still any more.

Pollo - 21/2/2018 08:13

Agreed, but when was the last time Rose was 'Fit' for anything? We have managed well without him for a year now.

Agreed, and when he is 'fit' he doesn't look interested, he's off in the summer, we all know that, only use him if Davies is injured.

Said this a few times, but I still think that full back needs re-inventing. We've gone from Walker and Rose being the most feared full-backs in England (and potentially Europe) to what we have today which is Spurs weakest area of the pitch. Davies is having a good season but when you consider Vertonghen is the best centre half in the league, I'm not surprised. He must be a dream to play alongside especially with his ability on the ball.

For the rest of this season, Davies vs Rose may depend on what happens with Toby. We started the season with Sanchez in the middle of Toby and Jan and that's when Davies struggled a little. If Poch moves back to that then I can see Rose getting more game time. I think it's more likely that Poch will stick with 4-2-3-1 especially as he now has Lamela and Moura as attacking options further up the pitch. That will mean Rose will remain a peripheral player and Davies will continue.

Then in the summer, Poch has some work to do. Rose will probably leave which means we have to enter the transfer market. He could go safe with older players like Cresswell or Bertrand who will completely work in a Poch system. He could go back to Luke Shaw, probably more talented but hasn't fulfilled his potential. He might look abroad like he did with Aurier. Obviously, the popular choice would be Sessegnon especially as Davies is only 25 and that combo could work in the squad.

Poch also has to think about the right back area as well. Doing nothing and leaving Trippier, Aurier and KWP as the 3 options may not be the right decision.

Pollo - 21/2/2018 08:13

Exactly. We need a LWB brought in this summer. High priority.

Unless Rose finds both his fitness and his form (which he is notoriously slow to do when returning from injury).. Mourinho may well have second thoughts about him..

Davies has been extremely solid this season and in many ways has been massively underrated because of the praise and buzz around Rose. If Rose does want to move on this summer, I'd only be happy with Sessegnon as his replacement because despite his injury and form he is still a top, top quality LB.

To compare Rose and Davies is hard though because they are both different types of full back. Defensively Davies wins, Offensively Rose wins. Davies has really upped his offensive game this season though.

Rose could be better, but he isn't. And does it really matter anyway? We will never he see him at his game-fit best in a Spurs shirt again, so what we should be asking is 'Davies has done pretty well, how do we improve the position?'

Might already be answered being the Fulham Twins are apparently done and delivered.

Rose should go to Italy. He'd be a menace there.

xvausch - 21/2/2018 20:44

Rose could be better, but he isn't. And does it really matter anyway? We will never he see him at his game-fit best in a Spurs shirt again, so what we should be asking is 'Davies has done pretty well, how do we improve the position?'

Might already be answered being the Fulham Twins are apparently done and delivered.

On or off the pitch?

muttley - 21/2/2018 10:19

Said this a few times, but I still think that full back needs re-inventing. We've gone from Walker and Rose being the most feared full-backs in England (and potentially Europe) to what we have today which is Spurs weakest area of the pitch. Davies is having a good season but when you consider Vertonghen is the best centre half in the league, I'm not surprised. He must be a dream to play alongside especially with his ability on the ball.

For the rest of this season, Davies vs Rose may depend on what happens with Toby. We started the season with Sanchez in the middle of Toby and Jan and that's when Davies struggled a little. If Poch moves back to that then I can see Rose getting more game time. I think it's more likely that Poch will stick with 4-2-3-1 especially as he now has Lamela and Moura as attacking options further up the pitch. That will mean Rose will remain a peripheral player and Davies will continue.

Then in the summer, Poch has some work to do. Rose will probably leave which means we have to enter the transfer market. He could go safe with older players like Cresswell or Bertrand who will completely work in a Poch system. He could go back to Luke Shaw, probably more talented but hasn't fulfilled his potential. He might look abroad like he did with Aurier. Obviously, the popular choice would be Sessegnon especially as Davies is only 25 and that combo could work in the squad.

Poch also has to think about the right back area as well. Doing nothing and leaving Trippier, Aurier and KWP as the 3 options may not be the right decision.

Top post.

If we don't sign Sess maybe we should look at Joe Bryan at Bristol City.

Davies has done everything asked of him, in the absence of Rose.

Agree with Muttley, we had the best backs in Europe with Walker and Rose, but things have changed in and around our CB's.

Rose still appears to have an attitude issue which comes across in his game, and does not look fit at all.

If we can get decent coin, I'd sell Rose, and search for a replacement so Ben can fight for his role.

80deg16minW - 21/2/2018 12:45

xvausch - 21/2/2018 20:44

On or off the pitch?

Can you just IMAGINE!?!

:9: