The Danny Ings Thread | Page 14 | Vital Football

The Danny Ings Thread

Today showed his quality. He only needs a sniff, and he'll bag you a goal.

So, where does Watkins go now? I don't like 442.

Today showed his quality. He only needs a sniff, and he'll bag you a goal.

So, where does Watkins go now? I don't like 442.

I don't either but I think you could do a 433 or 4411 with Ings and Watkins.

In a 433 I think Watkins & Ings can move interchangeably. How many times last season did Watkins pick up a loose ball on the left and nobody was in the box. I think Watkins movement to chase down lost causes could create space for Ings centrally.

Or in a 4411 which would be pretty close to a 442, you could do something similar. Let Watkins act like a target man and also a defensive forward. He could hassle the opposition midfield and essentially just be another workhorse in the side.

Technically strong, very good feet, very good acceleration, very good work rate, good in the air. I didn’t realise how athletic he is until today, very impressed with him today even if he didn’t score that worldie.

As Pangloss said, we need to keep servicing him with balls and not sit deep expecting him to be able to do it on his own which is sometimes the trend we get into.

Thank fcuk for that. Saw this thread bumped and thought our annual injury cluster which started early this year was hitting new heights ( or is it lows?)

I was thinking Tony Morley in 1981 lol.

Petrov won the last 2 for us, the other being his goal vs Derby in 2008. I had a look and we've not had too many winners in the Premier league era. Merson vs cov, Carbone vs leeds. Dwight Yorke got a few though including February and March in 92/93. Dalian also got 2 that season.

The bloke has a lot of quality, the assist for Bailey's goal was incredible. But we're not creating anywhere near enough chances for him.

The main worry for me about Saturday evening was that we basically created nothing for the strikers. The 3 at the back basically means we have no truly creative players in the side.

Ings or Watkins would score plenty in a 4-3-3 with Bailey, Buendia playing around them I believe. Plus we've the option of putting Watkins wide if we want or going 4-2-3-1 with Traore/El Ghazi wide and moving Buendia behind the striker. Feels almost strange to have options and flexibility with the team.