The Danny Ings Thread | Page 15 | Vital Football

The Danny Ings Thread

The main worry for me about Saturday evening was that we basically created nothing for the strikers. The 3 at the back basically means we have no truly creative players in the side.

Ings or Watkins would score plenty in a 4-3-3 with Bailey, Buendia playing around them I believe. Plus we've the option of putting Watkins wide if we want or going 4-2-3-1 with Traore/El Ghazi wide and moving Buendia behind the striker. Feels almost strange to have options and flexibility with the team.
The quality in the final third just wasn't there, was it - especially for the first hour or so. Created loads of space for Cash and Target to put good balls into the areas that Ings and Watkins should be poaching and nothing happening.

The goals we did score were created extremely well, the ball from Ings was sublime but I think it's going to take a bit of time to set the team up correctly, get the partnerships right and start "putting them on a plate" for the front two. For me, Danny Ings had to go searching for the ball, he came very deep at times (credit to him - I'm not moaning) but he's the kind of player we want poaching in and around the box, playing off the last shoulder etc.

It's very clear to me that we haven't quite got the balance right yet, mostly due to international breaks, injuries and general fitness. Not sure which players will create the "balance", nor the formation - some of them haven't even had minutes on the pitch yet. It'll be very interesting how this team evolves over the season. Still positive and I really don't think we've seen the best Villa line-up by a long shot. Hopefully all the players stay engaged and want to be part of the revolution - no player should be an automatic selection for me.

The quality in the final third just wasn't there, was it - especially for the first hour or so. Created loads of space for Cash and Target to put good balls into the areas that Ings and Watkins should be poaching and nothing happening.

The goals we did score were created extremely well, the ball from Ings was sublime but I think it's going to take a bit of time to set the team up correctly, get the partnerships right and start "putting them on a plate" for the front two. For me, Danny Ings had to go searching for the ball, he came very deep at times (credit to him - I'm not moaning) but he's the kind of player we want poaching in and around the box, playing off the last shoulder etc.

It's very clear to me that we haven't quite got the balance right yet, mostly due to international breaks, injuries and general fitness. Not sure which players will create the "balance", nor the formation - some of them haven't even had minutes on the pitch yet. It'll be very interesting how this team evolves over the season. Still positive and I really don't think we've seen the best Villa line-up by a long shot. Hopefully all the players stay engaged and want to be part of the revolution - no player should be an automatic selection for me.
Danny an out and out centre forward for me. Ollie not flying yet but wide suits him and with Bailey to get up to pace,we look lively enough up top.Ramsey looked the part on Saturday and Mcginn class at times. Mings was excellent in the air and our keeper exudes confidence. Watching Chelsea taking Spurs apart was a timely reminder as to the gap we need to close.

Yep. 100 percent agree. We need the forwards of the quality of Ings in the penalty box and not on the halfway line. It will criminal not to get shed loads of goals from Ings .
Mmmm. Not sure about this.
Bailey's goal came from ings ball from where?
Ings hassled and tracked back alot Vs Everton.
Ings did alot of damage by dropping a little deeper Vs Everton.
So not entirely convinced by this theory.

Mmmm. Not sure about this.
Bailey's goal came from ings ball from where?
Ings hassled and tracked back alot Vs Everton.
Ings did alot of damage by dropping a little deeper Vs Everton.
So not entirely convinced by this theory.
He contributed, shall we say. Not entirely what we bought him for, but yes, he hustled and harried, tracked back, got a couple of shots off. If he scores as well that would have been a perfect performance but I think MD is alluding to the fact we all want him to score a shed load of goals for us by loitering where he can cause most damage. Still a fine performance from him.

Before we have doubts about Danny Ings consider the alternative. What's his name again? Somebody Davis I think but I can't really remember.

Before we have doubts about Danny Ings consider the alternative. What's his name again? Somebody Davis I think but I can't really remember.
There are definitely no doubts about Danny Ings, just that we play in and around the oppositions goal area. Watched him at times Saturday and there is a fierce competitiveness about him - he's a winner through and through.

It doesn't really matter if he doesn't scores a shed load of goals, though a 20+ goal forward would be nice, as long as his performances lead to someone scoring and us winning. I think there's more to his game than just scoring. Once him and Ollie get a bit more of an understanding playing together with the likes of Traore, Bailey and Buendia supplying them then we're seriously gonna tear some teams a new arsehole. May take a while but we look less dependent on just one player making the difference.

There are no doubts about Ings as a player but doubts and questions so far about what system with us best suits getting the best out of him I.e goals.

Not even sure that's true, there is no doubt about it he will score even if he isn't getting the greatest supply. I think the issue with Ings is he does have a history of hot and cold spells. When he's on fire he's scorching hot like 12 game goal streaks but then he might go 5 or 6 games without a goal.

To me Hassenhutl is a defensive coach, his whole thing is pressing and when I see the Saints play I dont necessarily see a team that is coached to create attacking chances like we are.

This signing is starting to worry me. I think the bloke has real quality about him, but we are not creating any serious chances for him and do not set up to play to his strengths at all. Two goals for us in 6, not a great record, with one a pen and another a world class overhead kick.

Real danger of him being a massive waste of money if we cannot figure out how to use him properly. I feel bad for him.

This signing is starting to worry me. I think the bloke has real quality about him, but we are not creating any serious chances for him and do not set up to play to his strengths at all. Two goals for us in 6, not a great record, with one a pen and another a world class overhead kick.

Real danger of him being a massive waste of money if we cannot figure out how to use him properly. I feel bad for him.

He will only come good for us if Smith is sacked. Total waste of money atm.

I’m in the move Ollie wide camp. We have to figure out a way to get Bailey in the side and playing in the final third, which suggests 4-3-3 is the way to go.

Ings has technique and class above that of Ollie at present, but I also think Ollie’s attributes can be used and be a danger coming in from the left.

Football is a fairly simple game if you can figure out ways to get your goalscorer (Ings and Bailey) firing on all cylinders. Ollie becomes a player who then allows others to score rather than putting all your trust in him to get us goals, as I think a few now are starting to see the reality with him at present.

I’m in the move Ollie wide camp. We have to figure out a way to get Bailey in the side and playing in the final third, which suggests 4-3-3 is the way to go.

Ings has technique and class above that of Ollie at present, but I also think Ollie’s attributes can be used and be a danger coming in from the left.

Football is a fairly simple game if you can figure out ways to get your goalscorer (Ings and Bailey) firing on all cylinders. Ollie becomes a player who then allows others to score rather than putting all your trust in him to get us goals, as I think a few now are starting to see the reality with him at present.

Neither Ings or Ollie held the ball up well enough today.

Exactly what I feel as well. He is a fantastic striker who can get us plenty goals, hence we need Buendia to start and show us why we paid 40 mil for him. However instead of Jack he looks more like cack ! I hope he somehow improves because if he does not then we need to keep spending till we find that creative playmaker to supply Ollie and Ingsy.