The Cowleys in talks with Sheffield Wednesday? | Page 33 | Vital Football

The Cowleys in talks with Sheffield Wednesday?

I find many things wonderful, including 2001: A Space Odyssey. But, I don't believe man has a base on the Moon, sent an manned mission to Jupiter or found an
exterestrial monolith.

Logical fallacy alert. Level one non-sequitur on collision course.

I'm like most others I take information from a variety of sources assimulate them and make my own mind up. The reason journalists are filed in the same box as politicians, estate agents, used car salesmen, bankers et al, is people don't trust them.
You're correct, most people don't trust them because of their own behaviour.
I try to think the best of all people but unfortunately, there are good and bad in all walks of life, and as poor a reputation as the professions you list above have, by law of averages there has to be some honourable people doing those jobs.

The Examiner at 9:30 this morning were reporting that DC is favourite to take over at the Town again.
They probably know he's not going as much as we do but they are printing the truth - he's favourite with Skybet.

Out of interest I had another look at the Sheffield Wednesday forum this morning and they now have a thread called "I'm Glad We've Hired Monk Instead of the Cowleys".

So am I. But bearing in mind their earlier poll suggested 90% of their forum wanted the Cowleys, a little sample of some of the comments is below.

That thread is split in opinion but it shows you the mental gymnastics fans of any club will make in order to convince themselves everything's going to be ok.

It's the true definition of the misused term "sour grapes"

"the “smallest” club Monk has managed is Swansea. He will have a good grasp of big players’ mentality. The Cowleys were unproven in this aspect."

"The reason so many got excited by the Cowley’s is because they have no “baggage. IId expect a lot had never thought about the Cowley brothers until this week! Monk is the best appointment we could have made in my opinion"

"Unproven at this level and let’s say they got the job and we lost the first 5 games there would be hell on"

"Cowley were the new Hurst weren't they - Hurst was the next messiah but goes to Ipswich and fails massively. Monk is a solid appointment"

"Only at Wednesday could a fanbase get excited about the Cowley's who would be nothing but a punt"

"At Lincoln they are on a pedestal, here they would be cannon fodder if the results didn't turn out well"

"This forums obsession with Cowley is utterly bizarre, I have never known so much hype for a lower league manager"

"Think Cowleys are flavour of the month at the moment. Be interesting to see how they fare when they move on from Lincoln but not convinced they can deal with big ego footballers you get at Championship clubs and above"

"Cowleys will be another Nathan Jones at Stoke situation when/if they move to a bigger club. Fact he turned down Huddersfield because he feels safe at Lincoln tells you all you need to know about how confident he is about going to a bigger club"

Out of interest I had another look at the Sheffield Wednesday forum this morning and they now have a thread called "I'm Glad We've Hired Monk Instead of the Cowleys".

So am I. But bearing in mind their earlier poll suggested 90% of their forum wanted the Cowleys, a little sample of some of the comments is below.

... "Cowleys will be another Nathan Jones at Stoke situation when/if they move to a bigger club. Fact he turned down Huddersfield because he feels safe at Lincoln tells you all you need to know about how confident he is about going to a bigger club"

Isn’t it interesting how a random Sheffield Weds fan knows Danny so intimately that he knows precisely why Danny turned Huddersfield down. It’s a FACT though now.

Isn’t it interesting how a random Sheffield Weds fan knows Danny so intimately that he knows precisely why Danny turned Huddersfield down. It’s a FACT though now.
Body language!
They got all that from a single nose scratch in the Wycombe Pre-match Press Conference. ;)

Indeed.
Of course it may be fact that Danny turned Huddersfield down because they're now a pile of shite...but only Danny and Nicky actually know the reason why. We don't and the Sheff Wed idiots certainly don't.

That thread is split in opinion but it shows you the mental gymnastics fans of any club will make in order to convince themselves everything's going to be ok.

"the “smallest” club Monk has managed is Swansea. He will have a good grasp of big players’ mentality. The Cowleys were unproven in this aspect."

"The reason so many got excited by the Cowley’s is because they have no “baggage. IId expect a lot had never thought about the Cowley brothers until this week! Monk is the best appointment we could have made in my opinion"

"Unproven at this level and let’s say they got the job and we lost the first 5 games there would be hell on"

"Cowley were the new Hurst weren't they - Hurst was the next messiah but goes to Ipswich and fails massively. Monk is a solid appointment"

"Only at Wednesday could a fanbase get excited about the Cowley's who would be nothing but a punt"

"At Lincoln they are on a pedestal, here they would be cannon fodder if the results didn't turn out well"

"This forums obsession with Cowley is utterly bizarre, I have never known so much hype for a lower league manager"

"Think Cowleys are flavour of the month at the moment. Be interesting to see how they fare when they move on from Lincoln but not convinced they can deal with big ego footballers you get at Championship clubs and above"

"Cowleys will be another Nathan Jones at Stoke situation when/if they move to a bigger club. Fact he turned down Huddersfield because he feels safe at Lincoln tells you all you need to know about how confident he is about going to a bigger club"

Think its called taking the positives

They can see it as a lack of wanting to move and feeling safe but we know differently.
In nearly 60 years of following sport I've never known a coach / manager / boss have the whole club and city behind them like Danny and Nicky.
They have integrity. Listening to them speak, watching their behaviour and how other people interact with them and how their behaviour is affected tells me that they are almost unique.
People like these two are few and far between, thank goodness they came to us before moving on to bigger and better things.

Think Sir Gareth is a similar mould to the Crowley’s. Not driven by money and a loyal person. In fact I seem to recall he didn’t even have an agent when with us. currently very happy at Wycombe and rightly held in high esteem by their supporters.

Haha, Sheffield ‘experts’ saying dc wouldn’t be able to manage in the championship, most not even seen us play a league game. Wasn’t similar said about dc’s ability to manage in the efl, after winning the league in 2016-17. And also how dc would never be able to adapt the route one style to rhead.

Haha, Sheffield ‘experts’ saying dc wouldn’t be able to manage in the championship, most not even seen us play a league game. Wasn’t similar said about dc’s ability to manage in the efl, after winning the league in 2016-17. And also how dc would never be able to adapt the route one style to rhead.

Yes.

To be honest I think a lot of our fans have been a little unrealistic in their thoughts on who the next manager should be. A lot of them didn’t like Carlos Carvalhal despite the two playoffs, blaming him for overspending and long term injuries we’ve had. Then the guy after him Luhakhy was a disaster. So most didn’t want a foreign manager.

So a British manager was the way forward. We’ve only really been linked with 6.. Hughton, Pulis, Monk, Rowett, Coleman and Cowley. Hughton wants a prem job so turned us down. Pulis nobody wants because he has a reputation for terrible football. Coleman has done nothing at club level and got Sunderland relegated. Rowett was keen listening to his interviews he did on Sky, but for whatever reason our chairman didn’t like him. Then we’re down to Monk and Cowley.

I think that some fans thought that because Cowley so far has an unblemished record in that you can’t deny he’s done an excellent job for Lincoln, that was preferable to other candidates who’ve tried but failed at higher levels. They also extrapolate out his promotion record as if that would just be directly transferable to championship level.

Personally I’m a bit more comfortable with Monk over Cowley because he’s managed 4 other clubs at our level and above. Cowley would have been a leap into the unknown and he’d have had a lot of adapting to do which could have gone either way. Football at Championship level now is more similar to the premier league than the lower leagues, with all the money and the egos flying around. It would be a big change.

Would have got behind whoever we went with though. Think the best thing would be if Cowley could keep proving himself with you, get a League 1 promotion too.. and take you to your max potential which with your gates could be bottom end of the championship. Best of luck for the season ahead