The Cowleys in talks with Sheffield Wednesday? | Page 21 | Vital Football

The Cowleys in talks with Sheffield Wednesday?

Even if local media don't ask the tough SW related questions today could some national/regional media be there asking those questions anyway?

Merthyr is right. I never did understand this 'appoint from within' nonsense: the only place I can think of where that has ever really worked is Liverpool in the 70s and 80s. Surely a club should simply appoint the best person available? Just because a coach has worked under a talented manager does not mean he is made of the same stuff and has the same talents. Does anyone genuinely believe that Jamie McCombe or Tom Shaw has the same qualities and skill set as Danny Cowley? Someone on here recently suggested Matt Rhead should be considered, which I find almost inconceivable.

Last edited:
I was referring rather to appointments from within that followed very successful periods for the club - as I said, Taylor up to 1977 and Murphy up to 1985.

I think Sheff Wed will be extremely tempting - the commute is a doddle ( I did it daily for 10 years), the salary increase - massive. The first step on the next ladder, but... we are still very much on the up, and the next offer might come from the premiership if we continue to grow. He’s a very competitive young football manager, and I hope this offer has come to soon, but the situation for their families couldn’t be better... I think it’s 50/50 for us at the very best.

This is NOT just football, if they leave prematurely (before we reach our full potential) I will be gutted about what might have been - already in denial....

They won't get an offer from the Premiership even if we went up this year. For them to get Prem they will need to be promoted to it from the Championship.

They won't get an offer from the Premiership even if we went up this year. For them to get Prem they will need to be promoted to it from the Championship.

I doubt that very much, if somehow we got promoted this season, I think a premier league team would snap them up. They would have got a team from non-league to the championship in 4 seasons, that doesn’t happen in this day and age.

I doubt that very much, if somehow we got promoted this season, I think a premier league team would snap them up. They would have got a team from non-league to the championship in 4 seasons, that doesn’t happen in this day and age.

We'll agree to disagree.

Wow just noticed we have signed Jake Hesketh on loan. Very highly regarded at Southampton. Silky Payne-like attacking midfielder.