The Cowleys in talks with Sheffield Wednesday? | Page 34 | Vital Football

The Cowleys in talks with Sheffield Wednesday?

guess it wasn't some guy sat around making it all up then

guess it wasn't some guy sat around making it all up then

Indeed. Isn't it amazing that both clubs got their "No1 target." Both succesful with their "official" approaches.

I doubt Monk was Wednesday's "No1 target" and I'm not that sure the Cowleys were "Huddersfield's" either. However it would be hilarious to see a manager sat there at the announcement and the club pressman states. "He was No3 on our list but after we spoke unofficially to the agents partner's brother we learned that No1 and No2 would turn us down and our No3 target would agree so we made the official approach at that point."

I think the Cowleys WERE Wednesday's No1 target and Huddersfield wanted Adkins and the German fella Wolf (not necessarily in that order) thus Hudds have got their 3rd choice and Wednesday their ? (who knows how far down the list Monk was.)

Last edited:
ITK Worksop Town boss Craig Denton has just quit the club - bit of a shock after a league and cup double last year.
Obviously knows something the rest of us don't again.

Reminds me of a story told to me by an ex-pro, now deceased, who didn't play for Lincoln but most people here would know of.

He was told by his manager to make his way to Derby as the clubs had agreed a fee.

When he got there Peter Taylor (formerly Clough's oppo, not the other one) told him the deal and the player said it was a good one and he'd like to go back and talk about it with his wife

"You wear the boots, son, not your wife" said Taylor. "Either you sign now or you go home and stay where you are".

Being a very good offer, he signed there and then. On the way home he was worried about what he was going to tell his wife.

"I've got something to tell you" he said when he got home.
"I know" replied his wife "we're moving to Derby. I heard about it on the radio"

ITK Worksop Town boss Craig Denton has just quit the club - bit of a shock after a league and cup double last year.
Obviously knows something the rest of us don't again.

Imminent vacancy at Chesterfield??
Either way I wonder if someone will suggest him for us. Personally anyone who uses twitter like he does can't be trusted methinks

Imagine not giving a potential manager a day to talk to their family! :shrug:

Sheff Weds forum was saying that their chairman was not in the country at the moment so was this a phone call? I think the Denton fella is covering his back after his first ITK went t1ts up. More likely there was a "will we have control of all football things?". "Erm, no". "We'll be turning the offer down then, g'bye."

That's fair enough, although "tapping up" a manager can be a dangerous game
https://www.90min.com/posts/6303399...co-silva-conflict-with-hefty-compensation-fee

Is that really what we're inferring here then?

I doubt very much that "Mr Chairman" spoke to anyone at all. More likely whoever deals with things at Sheff Weds used an intermediary to sound out the Cowleys via another intermediary.

Yes it is tapping up but how on earth can you do anything about a friend of a friend of a friend of the club asking a friend of a friend of a friend of the Cowleys if "their opinion" on if the Cowleys would be interested?

If you don't want to be embarrassed asking a girl out you might ask first your mates if you think you have a chance and then ask her mates if they think she would be interested before then asking her if she fancied a night out down the Hop Pole.

Do you think the Cowleys/the Club put official bids in for players and magically they are all successful? There is "tapping up" everywhere. Nothing that can be done about it unless it is a blatant and with proof..........i.e. "photo of another club's head of football having dinner with Danny Cowley at the local Harvester."

Like the "genius" Klopp did with Van Dyk. Maybe Klopp is still learning but he won't get caught on camera again I'm sure.

Last edited: