The Cowleys in talks with Sheffield Wednesday? | Page 31 | Vital Football

The Cowleys in talks with Sheffield Wednesday?

Just got my application in to Roots Hall . That Ron Martin seems the sort of tasty Geezer who knows an opportunity that's too good to be true when he sees it. Better let Drew ,Dwight and Michael know there may be developments

it's dangerous territory to throw around abuse at journalists who are already being marginalised and described as the "enemy of the people"

I'm not buying this. How have journalists been marginalised ? If the they are they only have themselves to blame.

You throw out accusations about abuse against journos with gay abandon, but offer no proof.

I will counter the above with both Hortin and Makepeace do a wonderful job, and are passionately behind the Imps. One only has to listen to other local radio feeds to work that one out.

Town fans getting their hopes up because Monk has signed for Sheff, they believe DC is now going there.
Deluded some of them.

I'm not buying this. How have journalists been marginalised ? If the they are they only have themselves to blame.
Because every single journalist should suffer the consequences of every transgression committed by others? What a cynical, unhappy view.
You throw out accusations about abuse against journos with gay abandon, but offer no proof.
The clues were in the message, which you didn't appear to read very closely. I for one didn't see him "throw out accusations" with "gay abandon".
I will counter the above with both Hortin and Makepeace do a wonderful job, and are passionately behind the Imps. One only has to listen to other local radio feeds to work that one out.
That's funny. So you're happy to take a partisan view of a subject if you agree with it, think partial reporting is "wonderful", but think everything else is made up and rubbish?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you or one of your colleagues did though, would the Editor go all Ben Bradlee on you and demand to know you had corroborating sources? :)

This kills two birds with one stone: Boris Johnson was sacked from The Times for making up quotes in a story of very little consequence.

This kills two birds with one stone: Boris Johnson was sacked from The Times for making up quotes in a story of very little consequence.

Graeme, his story still got published. He was found out later.

Same goes for Claas Relotius the award-winning German journalist whose stories were only later determined to be false by a Spanish photographer, George Orwell Prize winner Johan Hari and American Pulitzer prize winner Janet Cooke.

They were all fired. How many never get found out?

Graeme, his story still got published. He was found out later.

Same goes for Claas Relotius the award-winning German journalist whose stories were only later determined to be false by a Spanish photographer, George Orwell Prize winner Johan Hari and American Pulitzer prize winner Janet Cooke.

They were all fired. How many never get found out?

You've heard of logical fallacies right? You've heard of non-sequiturs? No True Scotsmen? And generalisations?

But yeah you're right. As I'm juggling 40 stories a day as a news editor, pushing tens of thousands of words onto pages and thinking about the hour I will get at home with the kids before it's bed time, I stop without fail just before afternoon conference, and think, "oooooh time to serve the real cause... what shall I make up? And who shall I pressure or blackmail to write it?"

We all make up everything you read. It's a conspiracy. You've exposed us. My god, my god, it's all come crashing down. My entire life. I can't take it any more.

Etc.

For the hard of thinking: this is sarcasm.

You've heard of logical fallacies right? You've heard of non-sequiturs? No True Scotsmen? And generalisations?

But yeah you're right. As I'm juggling 40 stories a day as a news editor, pushing tens of thousands of words onto pages and thinking about the hour I will get at home with the kids before it's bed time, I stop without fail just before afternoon conference, and think, "oooooh time to serve the real cause... what shall I make up? And who shall I pressure or blackmail to write it?"

We all make up everything you read. It's a conspiracy. You've exposed us. My god, my god, it's all come crashing down. My entire life. I can't take it any more.

Etc.

For the hard of thinking: this is sarcasm.

No, I didn't say everything is made up. Some things could be, in fact we know they are just from the high profile examples above, one of which you supplied yourself. And I certainly didn't suggest anyone told them to do it. All the cases quoted were entirely down to the former journalists themselves.

Or maybe you would suggest that every false story or quote ever made has been discovered?

For the hard of thinking - this is reality.

No, I didn't say everything is made up. Some things could be, in fact we know they are just from the high profile examples above, one of which you supplied yourself. And I certainly didn't suggest anyone told them to do it. All the cases quoted were entirely down to the former journalists themselves.

Or maybe you would suggest that every false story or quote ever made has been discovered?

For the hard of thinking - this is reality.

I'd stick my neck out and say that most of them have, yes, by the passage of time and ... journalism. Liars don't last long, and any journalist falsifying quotes will be found out PDQ because people don't like being misquoted.

It is often said journalism is the first draft of history, ie because of its immediacy it is often incomplete, there may be inconsistencies, there may be mistakes; but they are often supplanted by better information.

It is not often said that journalism is just a bunch of people making stuff up.

Irrelevent if he is or not. The poster was complaining about the abuse the media get whist abusing someone else.

You really don't understand the difference between fact and opinion do you.