The counter-intuetive thread | Vital Football

The counter-intuetive thread

• Thread starter Villan Of The North
  • Start date
V

Villan Of The North

A place for all those surprising facts that seem to laugh in the face of accepted wisdom.

I'll start us off with:

A comet's tail does not always trail behind it as it is not a wake of debris as most assume. In fact it always points toward the sun, it is in fact the vaporisation of he ice that the comet is made of under the sun's direct heat.

In a study of 200,000 ostriches over a period of 80 years, no one reported a single case where an ostrich buried its head in the sand

Bill Gates' first business was Traff-O-Data, a company that created machines which recorded the number of cars passing a given point on a road.

Trekker - 7/9/2013 21:09

Stephen Ireland gets paid to be a " professional footballer"

Alan Hutton gets paid to be a professional football and doesn't have a club to play for

That mass–energy equivalence is the concept that the mass of an object or system is a measure of its energy content.

So mass is energy and energy is mass.

It is difficult to think of mass and energy as the same thing because heat just feels so different to a banana.

One kilogram of bananas multiplied by the speed of light squared is a lot off energy.

No wonder I can't lose weight.

:69:

Fred you have confused the feck out of me mate whats thibannan times by light thingy, too much like school on here just lately lol

My good mate today said he was having to take off his glasses to read a text.

That, I believe, was counter intuitive !

You’re born with 300 bones, but by the time you become an adult, you only have 206.

(Is this child abuse?) :36:

<p>
ClivetheVillan - 8/9/2013 20:42<br /><br />Fred you have confused the feck out of me mate whats thibannan times by light thingy, <strong>too much like school on here just lately</strong> lol
</p><p>Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but life is all school, and compared with Einstein the questions definitely get harder.</p><p>Sheldon Cooper chose the easy option.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p>

Villan Of The North - 7/9/2013 21:04

A place for all those surprising facts that seem to laugh in the face of accepted wisdom.

I'll start us off with:

A comet's tail does not always trail behind it as it is not a wake of debris as most assume. In fact it always points toward the sun, it is in fact the vaporisation of he ice that the comet is made of under the sun's direct heat.

I will continue and edit this slightly:

A comet has 2 tails. A dust tail and an Ion tail.

The Ion tail always points away from the sun as it is the light pressure that pushes smaller ionic particles away regardless of the direction of travel.

The dust tail always points in the opposite direction of travel and this is a trail of larger particles that is left behind, much like a fart as you walk along a corridor at work.

OnMeHeadFred - 8/9/2013 21:28

That mass–energy equivalence is the concept that the mass of an object or system is a measure of its energy content.

So mass is energy and energy is mass.

It is difficult to think of mass and energy as the same thing because heat just feels so different to a banana.

One kilogram of bananas multiplied by the speed of light squared is a lot off energy.

No wonder I can't lose weight.

:69:

Where is the "like" button?