The Conor Hourihane Thread | Vital Football

The Conor Hourihane Thread

DeanoVilla

One Bloody Number
Just saw this pop up on my Facebook feed and don't think anyone has posted it yet. Love this... basically questioning the attitude of the youngsters in the game. My thoughts on Connor are well known. I love him. So this makes a good read.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...ople-dont-see-sacrifices-i-put-in-928787.html

I just work hard every single day. People don’t see the sacrifices I put in or other people put in. I’m a true believer that hard work pays off. You really have to make huge sacrifices in your career to sustain [yourself] at a good level.

I think some young lads in this day and age don’t realise that. “They’re in this bubble of training until 12 o’clock, coming off the training pitch and doing no extras, playing pool, training in this luxury training ground, heading home and playing on their games console and two years later when their apprenticeship is finished they’re going: ‘What am I going to do now?’ And that’s the realisation of it,”

Hourihane continues. “I don’t see any young lads grabbing a bag of balls and doing extra work, at all the clubs I’ve been at. They’re in this bubble training from nine to 12, having free food, nice breakfast, nice lunch, playing table tennis, playing pool. “They don’t put in the hard work and two years later they’re wondering where they go from there. That’s the sad thing to see. Lads don’t realise it. They’re working harder on the table tennis table than they do in training. “The senior lads are out there for an extra hour working on their game. Young lads should see that and take inspiration from it, but they don’t.

Interesting and not surprising that. Things have been made too comfortable, it takes away the youngsters fight

Conor had to learn the hard way fighting his way up through the lower leagues. It would do all our youngsters the world of good to see how different it is at that level, rather than a PL club where they will pay you a small fortune and still wipe your backside for you.

I’ve not really got anything to support my theory, other than his style of play, but I reckon Connor could do better in the Prem than the Championship. He’s got a good football brain and in my opinion a wand of a left peg.

I’ve not really got anything to support my theory, other than his style of play, but I reckon Connor could do better in the Prem than the Championship. He’s got a good football brain and in my opinion a wand of a left peg.

Championship is more physical from a strength point of view but in my opinion it is the speed and oppositional positional which will make the EPL more difficult. I think its partly why Tammy and strikers in particular have a difficult time stepping up. They get the time and space they had, it'll be incredibly interesting to see how Grealish fairs as openings like Hourihanes goals vs. WBA are more unlikely to happen.

Harry Kane didnt make it at a lower level so it's not unreasonable to say others arent the same but obviously Harry Kane is in fact world class and has evolved since then. Im sure he'd eat the Sheffield Wednesdays of this world without salt now.

Certainly still has a part to play but not a starter for me.

Big Wes: 4 goals in 697 mins played
Connor: 4 goals in 453 mins played
For all those that say he "doesn't do enough" I'm not sure what they're expecting. For about a million years we've bemoaned our lack of goal-scoring midfielders AND our total lack of decent set-piece delivery. Hourihane does both things very well, yet he's still seen as not doing enough by some.

I'm a big fan of the lad. He might not be the quickest or the most technically gifted but he is a nuisance in the final third he is capable of supplying an assist or two as well as being the one you want on a set piece or free kick. He's worked hard to force himself into Deanos first eleven and I think he offers more than Trez at the moment...it probably doesn't do any harm to his form knowing that Douggy is breathing down his neck either.

People are entitled to think whatever they want about him, but seeing as how the game is all about scoring goals and stuff, then I love Conor.

Yes. I was saying the same , but how can you argue with a goal and an assist ?

I still think playing Douglas instead of him will be the way in some games though.

I could argue! But I'll let him have his moment of glory in the sun, you forgot he won a penalty as well. I'm shocked he's not taking them as his party piece is dead ball kicks .
Douglas is indeed a better player and will have to play but perhaps instead of ElGahzi once the gloves come out

I could argue! But I'll let him have his moment of glory in the sun, you forgot he won a penalty as well. I'm shocked he's not taking them as his party piece is dead ball kicks .
Douglas is indeed a better player and will have to play but perhaps instead of ElGahzi once the gloves come out

2 assists for Anwar as well. Conor and Wesley scoring. All your favourites had a good day.

Taylor would have scored had he come on lol.