The Conor Hourihane Thread | Page 16 | Vital Football

The Conor Hourihane Thread

Fucking hell how predictable. Hourihane scores one championship goal for Swansea and he's all of a sudden the difference between us winning and losing last night.

He wouldn't have scored because he wouldn't have been quick or skillful enough to work himself into the positions that Barkley, Grealish, Mcginn or Traore get into. If he gets a few free kicks or someone sets it up on a plate for a free hit then he's fine. Doesn't work that way in the Premier league very often though.

Maybe he would have scored maybe not, chances are he wouldn't have been on the pictch anyway so its unlikely.
Im a fan of Conor and hope he does well at Swansea, but there's no point in keep thinking what he might have done in a 5 minute sub appearance

I was a fan, but first to admit he had his limitations.
Sorry, but he just doesnt fit into our free flowing fast attacking style of play that Deano has now got us playing.
He would have slowed us down, and in any event he would now be way down the pecking order for a game.
Best of luck Conor, solid pro, and as 57 says all credit to him for not doing a Lansbury.

He is a good player at that level, and higher in the right system. Unfortunately that’s not with us. Him playing well is still good news, pushes up the fee and i wouldn’t begrudge him a move even if they do get promoted.

Glad he has been a Villan, pleased he’s doing well, but i can’t say he’s missed.

Must have watched a different player when we stepped up to the Prem looking at some of the comments on this thread since he left the club. Great professional, super piece of business for the club buying him when we did for just a couple of million.....but at Premiership level he just doesn’t cut it. Can shoot, capable of scoring from distance,can always provide decent delivery which can be vital in the championship.....but.....Can’t tackle, can’t beat a man therefore rarely runs with the ball, limited passing ability and generally little or no influence from open play which means he’s really of little use in the Prem over the longer term. He wouldn’t have scored the goal Barkley did on Saturday in a month of Sundays and has been replaced by a better all round player in Sanson.....his professionalism/character around the club will I’m sure be missed but his lack of football ability/effectiveness in the top flight won’t.

Conor now 2 goals in 2 games...

Very pleased for him.

I'm not going to get into this patehtic argument some seem to be havbing about how he'd nbe doing if he was still here. I've always been Conor's biggest fan and am extremely thankful for everythimng he's done for us.

I still maintain he has proved himself at this level and is a good standard Premier League player, when you look at some of the other dross Premier League teams field in their midfields week in week out. Fingers crossed Swansea come back up and he gets back playing regularly at a level he deserves.

But as much as it hurts to say it, his time with us was probably up given the way our targets have shifted (now aiming for Europe) and the signings we've made.

Very pleased for him.

I'm not going to get into this patehtic argument some seem to be havbing about how he'd nbe doing if he was still here. I've always been Conor's biggest fan and am extremely thankful for everythimng he's done for us.

I still maintain he has proved himself at this level and is a good standard Premier League player, when you look at some of the other dross Premier League teams field in their midfields week in week out. Fingers crossed Swansea come back up and he gets back playing regularly at a level he deserves.

But as much as it hurts to say it, his time with us was probably up given the way our targets have shifted (now aiming for Europe) and the signings we've made.

Spot on. I thought he did step up. He was a better player at the end of last season than at the beginning. He was doing tackles, he was doing the defensive bit, even if some believe he wasn't. But, maybe not enough for what we're aiming at. He won't be the only decent player we have who moves on; there are others who are maybe getting close to their limits. But they deserve credit for what they have achieved.

He played a big part in getting this club back on its feet and this club made him an international footballer. Overall it was a very good signing for both parties. I thought he was starting to struggle a bit at this level and he departed at the right time.

By "pathetic argument" I assume you mean difference of opinion. I stand by my point . As for signings we've made yes Barkley when fit is an obvious improvement but the jury's out on how many games he will play a season. Sanson unproven at this level

There is no proof at this stage that Sanson is a higher calibre player. I also doubt he will hit the ground running in the premier league, maybe next season he will if he settles and adapts to the league. Letting Hourihane go this season has weakened us. Then again some fans had Hourihane as the scapegoat whatever so won't see objectively ever.
Perhaps you didn't see the comments made by our manager Silhill? He didn't want to let Hourihane go, but Hourihane was unhappy at not being a regular starter and wanted to go somewhere and play. If you think keeping a miserable player (who is complaining about not playing) in the squad is beneficial please enlighten me.... I'm happy for him that he's doing well at Swansea, and I'm happy that we have evolved into a team that is no longer reliant on an occasional set-piece from an otherwise very average player to get us points....

It's great that we have players that want to play, rather than sit on the bench, we have had a few of those in the past, happy to take the money for nothing, They may not be in Smiths plans so decide a move is the best option. He will do well with them, good luck to him.

I know you will all join me in wishing a very happy 30th birthday to Connor from everyone at Villa Villa . Come home soon we are keeping the bench warm for you :bday: