The Conor Hourihane Thread | Page 13 | Vital Football

The Conor Hourihane Thread

For £3m in today’s market we’ve got a fantastic return from Conor. An excellent professional, despite obvious limitations gave his all and scored some absolute beauties. Not good enough to make that step up unfortunately but the fact he wants to leave the club this month (against the wishes of Dean Smith judging by what the gaffer has said this morning) to actually play football is testament to his character. Take note Henri Lansbury! Anyone from that promotion winning group who played regularly after the dreadful few years we endured will be a hero in my eyes! Good luck to the guy.

Rumours floating around that @Villan57 is sitting in a empty car outside Bodymoor Heath with the boot open and map of Wales in his hands. :car::grinning:

On a serious note, much respect to Hourihane for not wanting to just pick up a pay packet and call himself a premier league footballer. He's a decent player, with definite limitations, but he has scored some really important goals for us down the years, always gives his best and obviously has the respect of his teammates....

For £3m in today’s market we’ve got a fantastic return from Conor. An excellent professional, despite obvious limitations gave his all and scored some absolute beauties. Not good enough to make that step up unfortunately but the fact he wants to leave the club this month (against the wishes of Dean Smith judging by what the gaffer has said this morning) to actually play football is testament to his character. Take note Henri Lansbury! Anyone from that promotion winning group who played regularly after the dreadful few years we endured will be a hero in my eyes! Good luck to the guy.
Remembering that period prior to Conor's arrival we went about five years with a slew of "midfielders" who absolutely, positively couldn't/wouldn't get near the opposition penalty area. He gets criticized for his all-round contribution, but we quickly forget just how bad our midfield was before his arrival. And when you consider the other players brought in at around the same time (Lansbury, Bjarnasson) he was a very astute piece of business....

He'll do a cracking job for Swansea.
Fair to say that Swansea have taken us to the cleaners on transfers over the past few years. We got Baston, Carroll and Taylor - we give them a proven goal-scoring midfielder... Come to think of it, we gave the feckers Jimmy Rimmer as well!
:slap:

Swansea are well placed so I'd hope it's a loan with a commitment to buy if they are promoted.
Shame we couldn't have chucked him to Naaarwich as a straight swop for Buendia

Love him or hate him, the guy showed nothing but commitment never complained and always provided his best. He scored score important goals for us and gave us some good memories. Good luck 👍

Remembering that period prior to Conor's arrival we went about five years with a slew of "midfielders" who absolutely, positively couldn't/wouldn't get near the opposition penalty area. He gets criticized for his all-round contribution, but we quickly forget just how bad our midfield was before his arrival. And when you consider the other players brought in at around the same time (Lansbury, Bjarnasson) he was a very astute piece of business....

Yep, this message board, in particular, was obsessed with having a midfielder who could score goals. We finally got one and then proceeded to tear him apart and I was definitely guilty.

IMO he was just missing athleticism, you can't compete in this league at the highest level without it. If he had the upper body strength to keep the ball and the pace and legs to get around the pitch it might have been different.

Top professional though.

There are quite a few PL midfielders who aren't of his calibre. Think he'll do well at Swansea. DS hasn't ruled out keeping him so obviously thinks highly of him.

Pity as I think we might need him as the matches mount up.

Disappointed he's been let go, prematurely in my humble, especially with 5 games in 12 days about to begin.
This could bite deano on the arse

He needs first team football at his age, (29), as careers are short and he doesn't seem to me to be the sort who likes to sit twiddling his thumbs collecting his money.

Deano said today he (Hourihane) wants to play football ,and that is why he loves him so much.

We have had plenty just happy to sit on their backside and take the money so fair play to Conor he will always be welcome at Villa Park I think.

Love Conor. Always have, always will.

His goal involvement stats are truely outstanding and he was a fundemental part in getting us back into the Premier League.

I'm a little surprised he feels he needs to drop down a level to get 1st team football actually. He's definitely proved himself as a top flight player for me. When I see the likes of Ashley Westwood making a living in the Premier League then Conor certainly deserves a place. Having said that it looks like Swansea could well come straight back up so he won't be out for long.

Good luck Conor.

Just watched a Connor goal reel. Maybe we should keep him as shooting coach?
He scored a lot of long range goals.

Sick of watching our shots sail over the bar. If it's higher than the bar it's not going to be a goal.

Love Conor. Always have, always will.

His goal involvement stats are truely outstanding and he was a fundemental part in getting us back into the Premier League.

I'm a little surprised he feels he needs to drop down a level to get 1st team football actually. He's definitely proved himself as a top flight player for me. When I see the likes of Ashley Westwood making a living in the Premier League then Conor certainly deserves a place. Having said that it looks like Swansea could well come straight back up so he won't be out for long.

Good luck Conor.

I genuinely thought Fulham or Sheffield United would have taken him.