The Conor Hourihane Thread | Page 12 | Vital Football

The Conor Hourihane Thread

If Hourihane leaves us this window it’s a shame he’ll do so without the respect he deserves from some fans. He’s scored goals for us, created plenty of assists and helped us gain promotion. He’s perhaps got some limitations to his game but he’s rarely let us down when called on upon

He has made a vital contribution and that should always be recognised but he isn't quite there for where we want to go. Smith at this stage clearly doesn't rate him higher than other options. With Barkley getting injured there would have been an opportunity for Conor but he saw fit to move Grealish inside instead.

Conor seems like he loves football and wants to start week in and week out, just not going to happen here is it.

@sirdennis @gator @david-avfc @Pangloss

I agree with all of you, Definitely wouldn't of got promoted without him, He's a bit of a legend for me in that sense, The season we got promoted he played 46 games and contributed to 19 goals.

Unfortunately he isn't the player to now kick us on and challenge in the top half, he's also 30 next month so it's not like he's going to get any better either, and for him I think he deserves to be playing week in week out, he'd probably be a mega star in Scotland.

Oh yes I agree entirely. He isn't good enough now for where we are. My response was an answer to the question of him leaving with the fans best wishes and respect.
I know that brother me and you very rarely have differing views but then again hardly surprising as we have been on and still are the exact same journey.

The way I look at players now is would they get into a top 8 side as that's the likelihood of where we are. In my view Conor is one of those that wouldn't and therefore when a replacement is recruited he should be moved on.

I’m far from Hourihanes biggest fan, but that’s just down to his athleticism which cannot be improved. His desire to play and move up the levels can’t be questioned.

I do however think it’s a bit premature if we let him leave this window. Difficult one, because you have to take the offers and money when they come knocking, January can be a time to make money as teams are desperate. He is a bit of depth to an already thin and limited squad.

Ideally for me, we should hold onto him until summer to see the season out and then let him go when hopefully he has more and better offers.

Like most above, I'll always have a lot of respect for him for helping us get out of the championship.

Also, like most above, I'll be happy to say a fond farewell and wish him the best of luck. I don't have any qualms with him being let go this January, as I really don't see any situation in which he will get game time. We're out of the cups and he's behind even Jacob Ramsey in the pecking order now.

Think we need to be realistic. Conor is fine for where we are now. He isn't for where we want to be. He's certainly worth keeping for this season. Let's see where we are at the end of the season and what new signings we are able to get.

We'd be shooting ourselves in the foot if we pushed out players who could do a job, only to find the team ravaged by injuries, covid, etc.

Think we need to be realistic. Conor is fine for where we are now. He isn't for where we want to be. He's certainly worth keeping for this season. Let's see where we are at the end of the season and what new signings we are able to get.

We'd be shooting ourselves in the foot if we pushed out players who could do a job, only to find the team ravaged by injuries, covid, etc.
He's fine where he is now, on the bench, if we have to start playing him we are in the shite. As we'd have several injuries before he gets the nod, he hasn't got the nod even with Barkley out.
It's not escaped my notice that he is so good he's only linked with Championship clubs, I'd have thought lower PL clubs like Baggies or Wolves would be in for such a talent.
Seriously we must have players coming in if we let him go, either that or Dean is promoting some of the youngsters from the u23's like that kid Lansbury who scored the other day

Shame to see Conor go as I think we may need him over the next couple of weeks with the fixture congestion. But as much as I like the bloke, realistically he isn't good enough for the heights we are trying to reach. He has his critics, but that goal against the Baggies will ensure he is always remembered by us.
And it gives me another excuse to post it :grinning::utv: