The Commentary Controversy | Page 3 | Vital Football

The Commentary Controversy

I think they answer primarily to the Tory party.
Not so sure about that. On purely political subjects the news website usually only opens a comments tab when there is a chance to kick them.
Whatever their leaning, which should be totally neutral, I'd rather not be footing the bill. Just stumped up my tv tax for the year, looking forward to seeing who can craft the best teapot in the next BBC cutting edge show.

Give the guy a bit of a break. Of course there can be improvements but even Radio 5 Live commentators often make me want to turn off the radio and they are presumably the best. He is passionate about Lincoln and this is all a bit unfair.

Give the guy a bit of a break. Of course there can be improvements but even Radio 5 Live commentators often make me want to turn off the radio and they are presumably the best. He is passionate about Lincoln and this is all a bit unfair.

I said the other day that I nowadays often turn off 5 Live because they seem to know too much, with meaningless "statistics" at every touch and turn. Just because something can be counted, it doesn't mean there is any need to do so.

Not so sure about that. On purely political subjects the news website usually only opens a comments tab when there is a chance to kick them.
Whatever their leaning, which should be totally neutral, I'd rather not be footing the bill. Just stumped up my tv tax for the year, looking forward to seeing who can craft the best teapot in the next BBC cutting edge show.

They've been terrified of the Tories ever since they threatened to abolish the licence fee.

Even so, be careful what you wish for. Murdoch et al can't wait for the BBC to be abolished. And then it's full-on Fox News.

Still, nothing more than the right-wing, cap-doffing fore-lock tugging fuck-me-up-the-arse-please-Boris English electorate deserve.

A pathetic, contemptible country full of weak-minded idiots. And I say that as an Englishman born and bred.

Oh dear. There’s plenty of stuff on the BBC that I don’t like - but that’s kind of the point of a national broadcaster producing enormous amounts of content for the whole population.

As regards Brexit, the Beeb have given them a very easy ride. Covid has overridden everything.

I'm pro BBC btw and, yet another mouthpiece
for the execrable Murdoch Corporation is unconscionable, in my opinion.

I take your point and I'm not a total Hortin basher on this subject. It's fine when he's just doing the Radio Lincs commentary on the radio and is 100% just going out to City fans. The beef I have is that when the game is on ifollow and he has full knowledge that his commentary is going out to BOTH sets of fans it would be more professional for him to be able to call the opposition players names and have a few basic facts regarding whoever we may be playing.
I think it shows a lack of application and laziness on his part because I know if it was my job I would approach it in a way where I would want to have some knowledge of the opposition and be able to comment on them because although I would obviously have bias towards Lincoln at least the opposition fans would know that I had at least made some effort into researching their team and be able to pass comment on them during the match.

I said the other day that I nowadays often turn off 5 Live because they seem to know too much, with meaningless "statistics" at every touch and turn. Just because something can be counted, it doesn't mean there is any need to do so.

Just because it can, doesn't mean it should - so true in so many cirmcumstances.

They've been terrified of the Tories ever since they threatened to abolish the licence fee.

Even so, be careful what you wish for. Murdoch et al can't wait for the BBC to be abolished. And then it's full-on Fox News.

Still, nothing more than the right-wing, cap-doffing fore-lock tugging fuck-me-up-the-arse-please-Boris English electorate deserve.

A pathetic, contemptible country full of weak-minded idiots. And I say that as an Englishman born and bred.
Someone alert the Samaritans or has Notty just had an overdose of ‘olive’!!

On the Beeb; I have tried to challenge their neutral stance, but have failed to do so, so I end up believing their attempt at neutrality. Al Jazeera is a good point of reference if you want a non UK based contribution and the Washington Post has an International view that is worth reading, but then I have a liberal bias. What that means is that I like articles by the Guardain (in joke) and the New York Times and distrust anything by the Daily Fascist (Mail), Sun and Telegraph and when in doubt do a Google search and look at the context of the respondents. Then do a Metasearch on Clusty, Dogpile, ixQuick etc.

https://www.searchenginepeople.com/blog/10-meta-search-engines-reviewed-and-compared.html

In short, take in some alternatives, read, analyse, understand and then form an opinion.

The mistake is to form an opinion and then look for evidence, because you will always be able to find some, it just may not be based on truth.

Last edited:
On Hortin, I am split as I met him when I was over for the Wembley game three years ago. A genuine Imps fan and I don’t think anyone can doubt that from his commentaries. When I-Follow first aired I complained to them as the commentator was awful. After a season they took up the Radio Lincs commentary with Hortin & Thommo and I was really pleased. So much better. However, as we have progressed from the NL to League 1 I think Michael’s commentary has got slowly worse (though I enjoy listening to Thommo) - to the extent that I now think it isn’t ‘fit for purpose’. So many mistakes with names or misreading the incidents in play it’s become a joke. Not surprised at the Accrington fan’s complaint - only surprised that there weren’t more.
From what has been said on here Hortin supports Liverpool? If that’s the case then presumably he must watch their games on TV - and listen to the commentaries - surely instead of some BBC commentary coach (if one exists) he should be learning his ‘professional craft’ from them. It definitely wouldn’t be good enough in the Championship. Either he needs to drastically improve or they need to find someone better - even Rob Makepiece is an improvement from the Tuesday night games when he does them. BTW - I too switched off the Accrington commentary as it got beyond a joke, and I watched the Sunderland I-Follow replay with the commentary off. It was a breath of fresh air as you could hear everything that was being said by the players, the referee and the dugouts (though they were Sky microphones all over the ground). Incidentally Michael - I very quickly figured out which Sunderland players were which so no excuse for not naming them.

Last edited:
For me I don’t mind Hortin and Thommo. They are what they are, Lincoln through and through. Could they be more prepared? Absolutely. Do they go off on tangents? Yeah. Is Thommo occasionally offensive? Also yeah (not great). Do they need to change a bit for the away audience? Probably.

They’re local radio at the end of the day, if they were cream of the crop they’d be on the PL games. Even then those on the PL games are not great to listen too (looking at McManaman) and can be biased (also McManaman). They’ve done almost every huge moment over the past few years barring Burnley and FGR and they did plenty of dross before. I think Hortin in particular gets a lot of unwarranted stick.

About time you fecked off somewhere else then Notty!
I hear Moscow is real nice this time of year.

Last edited:
coming back to footie and away from politics on this thread. Todays match day commentary on iFollow will more than likley be provided by Latics tv, which will probably only start just before KO.

For me I don’t mind Hortin and Thommo. They are what they are, Lincoln through and through. Could they be more prepared? Absolutely. Do they go off on tangents? Yeah. Is Thommo occasionally offensive? Also yeah (not great). Do they need to change a bit for the away audience? Probably.

They’re local radio at the end of the day, if they were cream of the crop they’d be on the PL games. Even then those on the PL games are not great to listen too (looking at McManaman) and can be biased (also McManaman). They’ve done almost every huge moment over the past few years barring Burnley and FGR and they did plenty of dross before. I think Hortin in particular gets a lot of unwarranted stick.
Lincoln through and through?
Just to add balance Michael got a job at BBC Lincs just over 20 years ago when he had no idea who LCFC were, he was and still is a Liverpool fan.
Thommo is a Sheffield lad through and through, he played for and managed Sheffield United and they are his team. He played for the Imps for about 4 years and managed them too but I bet neither of them would pay to go through the turnstiles if they had too.

Lincoln through and through?
Just to add balance Michael got a job at BBC Lincs just over 20 years ago when he had no idea who LCFC were, he was and still is a Liverpool fan.
Thommo is a Sheffield lad through and through, he played for and managed Sheffield United and they are his team. He played for the Imps for about 4 years and managed them too but I bet neither of them would pay to go through the turnstiles if they had too.
Well Thommo proves that as he never watches the games he’s not on commentary (I.e. being paid to watch), and Hone is the same.
To be fair to Hortin I have known him go to away games when not on commentary but having said that it’s not their job to be Imps fans.
Going back to this so called training, it must be unique to Lincs as no one else seems to be adopting it. Rather than saying Accrington left back has the ball, much better to say Accrington’s Paul Smith has the bell on the left side, Smith who’s on loan from QPR clears the ball long ....,or whatever