The Commentary Controversy | Page 2 | Vital Football

The Commentary Controversy

The mistakes are almost countless and I find the recurrent ones amusing (in a laugh at, not laugh with, kind of way) but many stand out as actually pretty poor. Missing action completely, calling players by the wrong name, knowing very little about the opposition are all forgivable in isolation, but inexcusable when repeated week in week out.

That said, Radio Lincs are not alone, Sky commentated on how important Regan Poole had been to our season so far and also on our signing of Max Sanders on loan from Brighton.

i can understand why hortin's commentary is hopeless for radio. but the accrington fan stated he/she watched the game. both teams are announced/listed before kick off on ifollow a few times, just as they are for any fan physically going to a game.
if you actually go to a game you don't get (or need) commentary during it.

The mistakes are almost countless and I find the recurrent ones amusing (in a laugh at, not laugh with, kind of way) but many stand out as actually pretty poor. Missing action completely, calling players by the wrong name, knowing very little about the opposition are all forgivable in isolation, but inexcusable when repeated week in week out.

That said, Radio Lincs are not alone, Sky commentated on how important Regan Poole had been to our season so far and also on our signing of Max Sanders on loan from Brighton.

Sky commentary was very very poor.

Can anyone remember those days when Hortin named every player on the pitch?
Think he’s talking rubbish with that reply

Glad to see Horton has taken the criticism on board, massive improvements expected for the Swindon game. Rumour is that he has already commenced his research, and is being tested every night by his missus.

Oops, whatever would daddy have said; 'Horton?'

:unsure:;)

i can understand why hortin's commentary is hopeless for radio. but the accrington fan stated he/she watched the game. both teams are announced/listed before kick off on ifollow a few times, just as they are for any fan physically going to a game.

Poor commentary still ruins it.

I watch games with it muted now, but that's also strange, even without crowds there anyway

Hortin's reply is the biggest blag ever. I agree with the Accy fan. I listen because I think Thommo "adds value" to the broadcast. Yes he has his little cliches "risk/reward" but he clearly understands what is going on and alongside a better commentator Thommo would not be sidetracked.

As it is I have to put up with Hortin because I like to listen to Thommo's contribution however when the Beeb did their retraining I thoroughly enjoyed the away commentary including the Accrington one.

Anyways. I've done this subject to death. The Beeb don't care. Hortin's reply shows he isn't shifting and blagging his way through while being the immoveable incumbent. Can't wait to get back in the ground and not have this issue.

As for commentator training. A regular thing obviously that has corrected Michael's technique!!! Radio Lincs paid for this did they? From the licence fee? I'm actually not that disbelieving as the rest but I doubt it. Blag, blag, blag. The guy is living off the FA cup run where it was just great to hear the words "Lincoln City" and "win" on the radio/TV regularly.

Makes me long for the days of teletext awaiting page 2 of 3 of Division 4 to reappear.

I did actually text on their text number regarding the musical interruptions. I have had no response thus far so can only assume technical difficulties are ongoing!

I did actually text on their text number regarding the musical interruptions. I have had no response thus far so can only assume technical difficulties are ongoing!
You should have phoned instead, they keep you on hold for a while but you get a response eventually. Music while waiting is good.....

Hortin's reply is the biggest blag ever. I agree with the Accy fan. I listen because I think Thommo "adds value" to the broadcast. Yes he has his little cliches "risk/reward" but he clearly understands what is going on and alongside a better commentator Thommo would not be sidetracked.

As it is I have to put up with Hortin because I like to listen to Thommo's contribution however when the Beeb did their retraining I thoroughly enjoyed the away commentary including the Accrington one.

Anyways. I've done this subject to death. The Beeb don't care. Hortin's reply shows he isn't shifting and blagging his way through while being the immoveable incumbent. Can't wait to get back in the ground and not have this issue.

As for commentator training. A regular thing obviously that has corrected Michael's technique!!! Radio Lincs paid for this did they? From the licence fee? I'm actually not that disbelieving as the rest but I doubt it. Blag, blag, blag. The guy is living off the FA cup run where it was just great to hear the words "Lincoln City" and "win" on the radio/TV regularly.

Makes me long for the days of teletext awaiting page 2 of 3 of Division 4 to reappear.

You youngsters and your modern teletext. The teleprinter at full time was what us old sods had, that and the Sports Echo. As for commentator training I hope the BBC are not paying for it as it clearly does not work.

Hold on a minute. An Accrington fan makes a complaint to Radio Lincs about the commentary and the person he complains about is the person who replies to him giving him the answers he may want to here but after the horse has already bolted.
Does Hortin not have anybody to answer to?
Who is Hortins boss?
I have stated this many times. I like Hortin and Thommo. Thommo has been on his course to improve his output on matchday but Hortin needs to improve a lot more than he is suggesting to that complainant, especially when his commentary is going out to both sets of fans. If he doesn't take on board what is required of a commentator that is suppose to act in a professional manner which would include doing some very basic research and if he doesn't have anyone to answer to then maybe someone should be in his ear hole giving him some friendly advice with just a little reminder that nobody is bullet proof.

There could be worse than Radio Lincs. I remember listening into the rugby World cup final in 91 with BFBS Belize when theybcut to the news in the final minutes of the game. You should have heard the uproar from the bars around airport camp... The BFBS staff must have gone onto hiding for whole week after that.

Hold on a minute. An Accrington fan makes a complaint to Radio Lincs about the commentary and the person he complains about is the person who replies to him giving him the answers he may want to here but after the horse has already bolted.
Does Hortin not have anybody to answer to?
Who is Hortins boss?
I have stated this many times. I like Hortin and Thommo. Thommo has been on his course to improve his output on matchday but Hortin needs to improve a lot more than he is suggesting to that complainant, especially when his commentary is going out to both sets of fans. If he doesn't take on board what is required of a commentator that is suppose to act in a professional manner which would include doing some very basic research and if he doesn't have anyone to answer to then maybe someone should be in his ear hole giving him some friendly advice with just a little reminder that nobody is bullet proof.
The BBC answer to nobody!

Depends who your sat near!

There could be worse than Radio Lincs. I remember listening into the rugby World cup final in 91 with BFBS Belize when theybcut to the news in the final minutes of the game. You should have heard the uproar from the bars around airport camp... The BFBS staff must have gone onto hiding for whole week after that.
ITV once showed a (dull, dull ) cup match between Everton and Liverpool, 0-0 deep in extra time when some production wonk pressed the ad break button, missing the only goal of the game.