The Climate Emergency | Vital Football

The Climate Emergency

impede

Vital 1st Team Regular
So, our local waste of a wage PCC Marc Jones has weighed in and said that climate protesters who blocked the M25 should be treated as domestic terrorists.

My view is that the Government only pays lip service to the climate emergency, tinkers round the edges to make it look like it is doing something, but as with anything, panders to short term economic gain for their backers, at the expense of doing anything serious to save the future for everybody else.

Causing minor inconvenience to a few people is the only way to get any serious attention to this, outside the confines of the progressive broadsheets, and that attention might just save the lives of millions of people who share this fragile planet of ours; so it is a price worth paying.

Well done the protestors.
Got their message through to the media which would never have had them on otherwise. Heard one interview on bbc radio with spokesperson. Interviewer (Naga Munchetty) was very arrogant saying no member of the public would support the action. I was yelling at the radio "i do and so will many many others".
At least spokesperson held her ground well and put her case very well.

Another supporter here. There is no other more important issue than this. Insulating homes is a practical and achievable solution. It should be fast tracked now.

So, our local waste of a wage PCC Marc Jones has weighed in and said that climate protesters who blocked the M25 should be treated as domestic terrorists.

My view is that the Government only pays lip service to the climate emergency, tinkers round the edges to make it look like it is doing something, but as with anything, panders to short term economic gain for their backers, at the expense of doing anything serious to save the future for everybody else.

Causing minor inconvenience to a few people is the only way to get any serious attention to this, outside the confines of the progressive broadsheets, and that attention might just save the lives of millions of people who share this fragile planet of ours; so it is a price worth paying.

Absolutely agree with you in principle, and the protestors clearly aren’t domestic terrorists. But for me the only way we’re going to address this climate emergency is if everyone pulls together. Unfortunately blocking the M25 just pisses off people who are trying to get to work and earn a living. That isn’t going to bring them along to the cause. And of course it gives this cretinous Government more opportunity to sow division and stoke the culture wars.

You might say that we’ve gone beyond the point of mere education, and you might well be right, but maybe there’s still a chance for the carrot rather than the stick?

Maybe this current energy crisis will give everybody a shake. As LA says, at the very least we should be starting work on retrofitting homes.

Has anyone seen the interview of the leader of the M25 protests, who doesn’t have his home insulated himself - absolute clown.

Has anyone seen the interview of the leader of the M25 protests, who doesn’t have his home insulated himself - absolute clown.

He lives in a property owned by a Housing Association. He doesn't own the property himself.

Displaying your nasty right-wing bias again. Read it on the Daily Fascist, no doubt.

He lives in a property owned by a Housing Association. He doesn't own the property himself.

Displaying your nasty right-wing bias again. Read it on the Daily Fascist, no doubt.

Ah, my apologies. Didn’t see he was in housing association, still, if I believed in something as much as he obviously does, I wouldn’t be living somewhere that goes against the very cause I’m fighting and I certainly wouldn’t be protesting whilst I could be out earning money to get out of social housing, so some one who is without a liveable paid wage job (like his, as an electrician) could have the housing - although - I appreciate I don’t know his personal circumstances, but if I was struggling enough to be needing housing association, you can bet your arse I would be grafting to change that, instead of protesting - but can see why he may feel strongly enough to protest.. although maybe he should look at himself first.

These M25 blocking protests aren’t the way to go IMO, (i do understand the frustration but this will not get majority onside - causing disruption to those who matter, not the people just trying to earn a living would be more beneficial) as proved by the women who has been left with paralysis due to the protest and being out of the treatment window for a stroke.

Nothing to do with being left or right sided, you let “left ot right” blinker you far too much, Notty.

You can’t call my presumed beliefs (by yourself) nasty when you use discriminatory terms for the disabled or laugh at the dead, either btw, Notty.

Hope this post gives you points to discuss (as a forum should do), rather than the normal wannabe internet bully reply, although I won’t hold my breath.

Last edited:
Nothing to say Eastvilleimp?

Quarter-wit, right-wing retard.

Oh no, have I triggered you with a bad word?

Boo hoo. Snowflake.

Ah, my apologies. Didn’t see he was in housing association, still, if I believed in something as much as he obviously does, I wouldn’t be living somewhere that goes against the very cause I’m fighting and I certainly wouldn’t be protesting whilst I could be out earning money to get out of social housing, so some one who is without a liveable paid wage job (like his, as an electrician) could have the housing - although - I appreciate I don’t know his personal circumstances, but if I was struggling enough to be needing housing association, you can bet your arse I would be grafting to change that, instead of protesting - but can see why he may feel strongly enough to protest.. although maybe he should look at himself first.

These M25 blocking protests aren’t the way to go IMO, (i do understand the frustration but this will not get majority onside - causing disruption to those who matter, not the people just trying to earn a living would be more beneficial) as proved by the women who has been left with paralysis due to the protest and being out of the treatment window for a stroke.

Nothing to do with being left or right sided, you let “left ot right” blinker you far too much, Notty.

You can’t call my presumed beliefs (by yourself) nasty when you use discriminatory terms for the disabled or laugh at the dead, either btw, Notty.

Hope this post gives you points to discuss (as a forum should do), rather than the normal wannabe internet bully reply, although I won’t hold my breath.

Protests have worked though...
If they'd done a protest that had no effect on anything in particular then no media would report it. This however made all the news repeatedly. And now loads of people have heard of this group and about the issues involved.

Disruption for a while for the drivers involved but frankly that won't be a new experience for many...just think back to our most recent Wembley visit.

If they'd done a protest that had no effect on anything in particular then no media would report it. This however made all the news repeatedly. And now loads of people have heard of this group and about the issues involved.

Disruption for a while for the drivers involved but frankly that won't be a new experience for many...just think back to our most recent Wembley visit.

Causing disruption is often the only way to get noticed and reported. Which is why this government is about to criminalise peaceful protest.

I agree they have worked, but think there would have been better ways of getting the average joe on side and causing less disruption..

Nothing to say Eastvilleimp?

Quarter-wit, right-wing retard.

Oh no, have I triggered you with a bad word?

Boo hoo. Snowflake.

I replied to you mate.

You don’t trigger me at all, Notty, you throwing insults would suggest you are the one who gets wound up.

I think you are hilarious, come across sanctimonious and for equality, yet you are still using words like “retarded” and thinking it’s acceptable.

I replied to you mate.

You don’t trigger me at all, Notty, you throwing insults would suggest you are the one who gets wound up.

I think you are hilarious, come across sanctimonious and for equality, yet you are still using words like “retarded” and thinking it’s acceptable.

Fu... ah, can't be bothered today.

I agree they have worked, but think there would have been better ways of getting the average joe on side and causing less disruption..

I've no idea what this group may have done previously (I'd never heard of them) but maybe they had tried plenty of other protests that caused no disruption and found that no one reported those protests at all.
I'd be surprised if this was the first thing they had tried.

I've no idea what this group may have done previously (I'd never heard of them) but maybe they had tried plenty of other protests that caused no disruption and found that no one reported those protests at all.
I'd be surprised if this was the first thing they had tried.

These kinds of groups appear all the time. Remember "Stop The City" back in 80s, early 90s, I think it was? And "Occupy Wall Street" after the 2008 crash?

Single-issue groups can raise awareness and get things noticed but they often don't last long.

I don’t know where this fella lives but round my neck of the woods, some people flog themselves all hours and can still ‘only’ afford social housing. That’s not a fault of their idleness (as our lovely media would have you believe) it’s the fault of a system that pays them shit wages and forces them to top that up with housing benefit.

Also a bit sad that after years of abuse from the usual suspects, there’s such a stigma of social housing and it’s tenants that there’s an attitude that they must ‘get out’ of it. Go to Vienna (not Vienna’s!) and see the pride they have in the good quality social housing they’ve built for their residents, which is a home to properly build a life in.

Last edited:

It was a minor inconvenience for the vast majority of people. Sadly it sounds like for a small minority it was life threatening, which to me is unacceptable. And it just serves give ammunition to the people who want to bury their heads in the sand.

I don’t know where this fella lives but round my neck of the woods, some people flog themselves all hours and can still ‘only’ afford social housing. That’s not a fault of their idleness (as our lovely media would have you believe) it’s the fault of a system that pays them shit wages and forces them to top that up with housing benefit.

Also a bit sad that after years of abuse from the usual suspects, there’s such a stigma of social housing and it’s tenants that there’s an attitude that they must ‘get out’ of it. Go to Vienna (not Vienna’s!) and see the pride they have in the good quality social housing they’ve built for their residents, which is a home to properly build a life in.

Hope my post didn’t come across as a slight on social housing, it wasn’t meant in that way (I’ve got family who live in social housing and couldn’t survive without it) - I appreciate people graft and graft and still due to the high price of living need it, but an electrician is not a poorly paid job, where is the line drawn and when is it that he is depriving some one of affordable living, I appreciate I don’t know this chaps circumstances and it’s a bit “ifs and buts” but as I said I personally wouldn’t be out protesting and then saying I needed subsidised housing.

I think it’s a worthy cause, just think there maybe have been a different way of doing it.. however has hoof says, I’m sure they have probably tried the less extreme measures.. that doesn’t change the fact that how they protested was illegal.

Hope my post didn’t come across as a slight on social housing, it wasn’t meant in that way (I’ve got family who live in social housing and couldn’t survive without it) - I appreciate people graft and graft and still due to the high price of living need it, but an electrician is not a poorly paid job, where is the line drawn and when is it that he is depriving some one of affordable living, I appreciate I don’t know this chaps circumstances and it’s a bit “ifs and buts” but as I said I personally wouldn’t be out protesting and then saying I needed subsidised housing.

I think it’s a worthy cause, just think there maybe have been a different way of doing it.. however has hoof says, I’m sure they have probably tried the less extreme measures.. that doesn’t change the fact that how they protested was illegal.

Sorry, that’s a personal hobby horse of mine. Didn’t mean to preach.

Yeah I agree on the M25 issue. Whether the subject matter is worthy or not (I think it is), they’ve left themselves open to criticism from the people they need to convince.