The Christmas Thread | Vital Football

The Christmas Thread

BBJ

Father Of The Forum
I know, bah humbug and all that but only four weeks from today, we'll be there.
So here's a gentle questionnaire to get us in the mood -
1. Favourite Christmas song?
2. Where are you planning to be this year?
3. Earliest memories?
4. When do you start decorating?
5. Ever seen a White Christmas?
6. What do you have for your crimbo dinner?
I'll start -
Have yourself a merry little Christmas
At home in Dublin - for the first time since 2010.
3. Earliest memories?
Going to church in the early morning after seeing what Santa had brought.
First week in December (actually, I don't decorate, my better half looks after that).
Yes but considering my advanced years, not all that many.
Turkey, ham, stuffing, sprouts, peas, roasties, mash, gravy, all washed down with Vimto.

1. Favourite Christmas song? Fairytale of New York - The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl.

2. Where are you planning to be this year? My parents in the morning, quick couple in the local, at full house at the inlaws for the rest of the day/evening - going to be hell! My wife's sister has already announced that we "all HAVE to wear funny Christmas jumpers, it'll be fun!" - will it though? really? jumpers? oh how hilarious! I'm not playing. Stupid cow.

3. Earliest memories? Must be decorating the tree with mum and my brother.

4. When do you start decorating? Around 12th December.

5. Ever seen a White Christmas? No.

6. What do you have for your crimbo dinner? Not sure, probably the standard fare - turkey etc... all I know is it won't be as nice as it would've been at my parents.

Johnny Mathis - when a child is born

Inlaws for dinner, sisters for buffet, home for cheeseboard

3. Earliest memories?
Playschool nativity when I was a king and going with my dads' lion club sleigh round the streets (I sat in the landrover)

First weekend in december

yeah a few, we had a couple quite recently

Prawn cocktail starter, then full xmas dinner with all the trimmings: Turkey, Ham, pigs in blankets, stuffing, roasties, mash, cauliflour cheese, sprouts, other veg and gravy. Then the pavlova followed by a large helping of my mother in laws boozy trifle!

Cant wait!

1. Favorite Christmas song?
Silent Night (Plus Oh little town of Bethlehem however that makes me cry now as it was my late Mom's favorite)

2. Where are you planning to be for Christmas this year?
At home however Christmas dinner will be at my friend cafe bistro this year: For the 1st time in 29 years of doing Christmas, which I still am, I won't be doing the dinner part. Really looking forward to it. I wouldn't have done going out for dinner at a sterile place like a pub restaurant chain. My friends place is a lovely intimate bistro which I am certainly looking forward too. All fresh home made locally sourced produce at a very reasonable price.

3. Earliest Christmas memory?
Decorating the Christmas tree with Mom.

4. When do you first start decorating?
First weekend in December

5. Ever seen a white Christmas? Yes a few as a child and a few in recent years

6. What do have for Christmas dinner? Usually starters which vary, those usually based around salmon. Then we have a mix of meats and the trimmings. Meats are Chicken, lamb, pork and beef. Desert either Christmas pudding or/and black forest trifle finished off with coffee/tea and after eights.

This year it will vary slightly as we have had a choice of menu

Last Christmas Wham
Sevenoaks, Kent with family & kids
3. Earliest memories?
Waking up mega early on Christmas morning, family parties on christmas night.
This weekend hopefully (as we now have to celebrate St Nicholas over in Belgium on the 6th, the kids are Flemish speaking - so get double delight)
5. Ever seen a White Christmas? can't remember one
6. What do you have for your crimbo dinner? We do the M&S thing for the lot, Venison this year and salmon on boxing day

While the cats away, the mice will play.

I've got my eyes on you bbj.

Always knew you were trouble!! :22:

:17:

1 - fairy tales of new york / merry christmas everyone
2 - Home - leamington spa
3 - Being sick at the dinner table :(
4 - last year was Xmas eve, probably not so late this year
5 - no
6 - Turkey, veg, roast potatoes etc...

1. Favourite Christmas song? Hate them all, they make me want to cry or vomit, or cry whilst vomiting.

2. Where are you planning to be this year? In a daze

3. Earliest memories? Happy days with parents, no complaints there!

4. When do you start decorating? 20 years ago, not now. If parents come round, two joke Santas go up and an old set of lights. When they go, they come down again.

5. Ever seen a White Christmas? Yes, it was cold, it was crap!!

6. What do you have for your crimbo dinner? Usual crap. I will boycott totally when my parents are no longer around, hopefully in a very long time.

My preference would be for people to be nice all year, not just fake nice once a year whilst building up massive debts buying their kids what they don't need and totally missing what the original point of Christmas was...

Well, the original point was a pagan festival but I will respectfully give that one a swerve!!!!!!

:51:

Oh and if you decorate any time before just one week before Christmas, your mental. Fact.

1. Favourite Christmas song? = Little Donkey.

2. Where are you planning to be this year? = home in front of a roaring fire, surrounded by family.

3. Earliest memories? = Singing Little Donkey in Primary school.

4. When do you start decorating? = 2nd week in December.

5. Ever seen a White Christmas? = Yes we had one recently.

6. What do you have for your crimbo dinner? = Pate starter, Turkey dinner, Christmas Pud + custard.

The Fear - 27/11/2013 19:58

1. Favourite Christmas song? Hate them all, they make me want to cry or vomit, or cry whilst vomiting.

2. Where are you planning to be this year? In a daze

3. Earliest memories? Happy days with parents, no complaints there!

4. When do you start decorating? 20 years ago, not now. If parents come round, two joke Santas go up and an old set of lights. When they go, they come down again.

5. Ever seen a White Christmas? Yes, it was cold, it was crap!!

6. What do you have for your crimbo dinner? Usual crap. I will boycott totally when my parents are no longer around, hopefully in a very long time.

My preference would be for people to be nice all year, not just fake nice once a year whilst building up massive debts buying their kids what they don't need and totally missing what the original point of Christmas was...

Well, the original point was a pagan festival but I will respectfully give that one a swerve!!!!!!

:51:

A late entry for post of the Year? It might not have been your original intention, but you have cheered me up. See, Christmas is a magical time where miracles can happen. :51: :51:

1/ Favourite Christmas song - White wine in the sun - Tim Minchin

2/We will go to my Mom and Dads as usual my wife cooks the turkey and does the starters , my sister does the vegetables and trimmings and Mom does the puddings. There will be 13 of us. Then it's all back to ours for a buffet in the evening and we always end up playing song star or Buzz on the play station with alcohol affected minds.

3/Earliest memories. My Dad coming down the stairs dressed as Santa one Christmas morning when I must have been about 4 and me totally falling for it.

4/ 1st December , I have no say in the matter. If it was up to me I would put them up on Christmas Eve and take them down on Boxing Day.

5/Yes I must have done .

6/Prawn Cocktail or Melon for starters , Turkey and Beef with all the traditional trimmings then either Christmas pudding which I hate or mince tart with ice cream which I love.

BBJ - 27/11/2013 10:28

I know, bah humbug and all that but only four weeks from today, we'll be there.
So here's a gentle questionnaire to get us in the mood -

Cant say I have one

Home
3. Earliest memories?

Earliest on the day I can of I must have been 5/6/7? I dont know but I woke up really early and my dad stayed with me as I went through my presents I got a construction type thing cranes/bulldozers etc. then he went off to do some work and came back not long after...
Two weeks before Xmas

Yes couple years ago but not as a kid that I can remember

The usual stuff but its started to change and get a little more adventurous...little Christmas

It was my intention heathfield, glad it worked!!! You see, I play the grinch, makes you all feel so much more cheerful!!!

Fear, I couldn't agree more with your assertion that we ought to be kind to each other all year round but humanity is a forgetful species and we need to be reminded.
Incidentally, as you were away, I thought long and hard about starting another one or two of my single answer threads.
"Towns and cities across the globe" was one idea I had.

BBJ - 28/11/2013 11:17

Fear, I couldn't agree more with your assertion that we ought to be kind to each other all year round but humanity is a forgetful species and we need to be reminded.
Incidentally, as you were away, I thought long and hard about starting another one or two of my single answer threads.
"Towns and cities across the globe" was one idea I had.

What a good idea BBJ-we look forward to it :17:

Feel free if you are happy for one or two to be frozen now mate? Pm me if you want any frozen. I do think any more than what we have would be a bit too much personally.

Kefkat hasn't picked up on my mad post. Doh!!

But seriously, I can't understand why anyone would decorate until a week before. Makes it much more exciting surely? Do it too early, some do it in nov, and you are 'immune' to the decorations by Xmas day.

Fear you need to learn to add to the build up.

Each week offers something new, decorations up one weekend, xmas cd in the car, german market the following, carol concert and nativity the next, winter wonderland or snowdome the next etc... All filled in with santa coming round on the sleigh, witht he rotary club/lions/round table etc... visiting friends and family to deliver pressies and cards, works xmas party, friends get together and booze ups, football team booze up, school/nurseries breaking up etc... all geared towards the big crescendo of the big day just when your almost at bursting point with excitement.

Then carrying it on and on through until new year with loads of get togethers and walks and great food and drink!

It's just magical!

Step into christmas mate!!

Step into Christmas by Elton John.

Will go and visit my Nan & Grandad's grave and Rich's dad's grave on christmas morning after opening some presents. Then carry on to his Mom's in Wednesbury and will have dinner there with her and her partner and Rich's little sister. Then probably stay the whole day and night.. eat crazy amounts of food and end up stopping over until Boxing Day before going to the Villa. Like to go to the park on Christmas afternoon and walk off the dinner. It is very peaceful. Hopefully will speak to my family if i don't see them, which i doubt i will.

3. Earliest memories?

Earliest memory for me was when i was about 3ish.. i opened my present.. was some sort of wheeler thing where you put your toys in and wheel it along, opened it and it was broke and my mom & dad blamed it on Rudolph and i totally believed it. Naughty reindeer.

Don't have a set date but probably do it next weekend.

Not actually snowing on Xmas Day no although it was still on the ground on Christmas Day in 2010.

Turkey and all the trimmings. Pigs in blankets also although i don't like bacon so i give that to someone else and end up having a pig blanket less. I look forward to the buffet more on Christmas night if I'm being honest.

James06 - 28/11/2013 12:10

Fear you need to learn to add to the build up.

Each week offers something new, decorations up one weekend, xmas cd in the car, german market the following, carol concert and nativity the next, winter wonderland or snowdome the next etc... All filled in with santa coming round on the sleigh, witht he rotary club/lions/round table etc... visiting friends and family to deliver pressies and cards, works xmas party, friends get together and booze ups, football team booze up, school/nurseries breaking up etc... all geared towards the big crescendo of the big day just when your almost at bursting point with excitement.

Then carrying it on and on through until new year with loads of get togethers and walks and great food and drink!

It's just magical!

Step into christmas mate!!

:6: :6: :6:

:17:

Honestly, that all above is just a nightmare to me. Lol

Someone recently said they think I'm on the spectrum of Aspergers, they might have a point. I don't seem to enjoy forced events, hate being told what I should be doing, what I should be feeling and when I should be doing/feeling it all. Plastic to me, no logic. I have a social disconnect for sure!

Xmas is a good time for a lot of people, it's also a sad lonely time and a very sentimental time for others.

It's all too plastic, 90% or more aren't like Rev or BBJ, they don't stop for a single minute to think what it is meant to be all about. The birthdate, albeit they say he was born in April but they hopped on a pagan date, of the baby Jesus.

But tongue in cheek gloom aside, I do realise it is also just a good reason for people to celebrate (full stop) and let their hair down etc. :14:

I do make sure mom and dad have a nice time, when they are gone Xmas will be non existent for me, it's hypocritical of me as an atheist to celebrate a Christian festival. It's also the anniversary of my at he time impending brain op, so maybe that explains a little too! :3:

Sorry, have I pissed on the parade a bit here or is it ok as per the thread to discuss Xmas a little?!?!?

I can soon delete some bits!!