The Christmas Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

The Christmas Thread

Btw, for all those who will enjoy and revel in Christmas, why not start it off by taking some pressies to your local hospital for the kids wards, or to some old people's homes. That's the spirit if Christmas in my humble.

I gave the local pensioners a turkey flavoured pot noodle last year, if only you could have seen the emotions in their little faces!!!!!

I have monthly standing orders to charities, we go to church throughout the year, and we see all our family and friends for meals, days/nights out and parties regularly.

Christmas for me is about the magic and excitement for the children and is also quite simply just a time to have fun and get involved with loads of unique enjoyable things that only happen at this time of year.

My childhood memories of christmas are really great, I want to guarantee that my kids are the same.

The hospital telephoned to say they have made another appointment for me to go in on the 20th Dec. Seriously considered it but I think its a bit of an extreme way to cancel the festive thing. Can still be miserable though but just not getting involved. Once worked with a Muslim guy, he said we dont celebrate xmas, to which I replied neither do I. Bah H......

Same here: Christmas has taken on much more of a meaning since I came back to Christ. The magic isn't the same when the youngsters grow older. Even though we have always done things in the lead up to Christmas it has had more meaning since becoming a Christian properly.

Christmas will start this weekend with the dec's going up. Out tomorrow night for our girly night and curry before Christmas. The weekend after we go to Lincoln for the Christmas market which is a family tradition where we meet up with my brothers and their family who can make it, same as with us. Our Christmas present from my eldest brother is he pays for the restaurant bill.

Weekend after we go and see my Grandson. The weekend before Christmas my 2 lads in this country have their best mate around and in the case of Damo also his girlfriend and I cook them Sunday dinner, fatted calf sort of thing. Really a grown up role for them of the things we did with them as young children.

Then we have Christmas and then down to the in laws for New Year.

Oh and a few other meals outs with friends in between too.

Mixed in with that I will be helping out at our church and with the hampers we give to CAP clients (CAP= Christians Against Poverty). We shall all attend the Christmas service their on the Sunday before Christmas. We shall attend the Christmas morning service.

As for what we do for others at Christmas that is ongoing during the year of what we give to charity. I shall also be opening the A.A meeting I started 7 years ago on Christmas night as it falls on a Wednesday this year.

We don't have to, however I am because alcoholism doesn't go away and for some being able to get to t a meeting Christmas night is a very important part of their day.

There first Christmas without alcohol, they need fellowship. People alone at Christmas, grieving and so on.

Many many do do much extra at Christmas JF as they do in the year. The 1 down side with 24/7 media is we only get to hear the negative because good news doesn't sell

James06 - 28/11/2013 15:55

I have monthly standing orders to charities, we go to church throughout the year, and we see all our family and friends for meals, days/nights out and parties regularly.

Christmas for me is about the magic and excitement for the children and is also quite simply just a time to have fun and get involved with loads of unique enjoyable things that only happen at this time of year.

My childhood memories of christmas are really great, I want to guarantee that my kids are the same.

Oh I didn't mean 'you' mate, with Sir Clive as your dad I have no doubt as to your common decency, I've even experienced it, in a most shocking way!!!!

But Xmas has become about excess so as said, be nice if some took a step back and thought. Easy win going to a local hospital, hospice, old people's homes etc.

And yes, as I've said before, lovely time for kids and great time for parents with kids as you can relieve it. Soak up every minute, I'm sure you will buddy.

I'd imagine they would be in a skeleton staff as well Astonion and some there will be peeved hey are there, although as you say, possibly enough Muslims to take a good proportion of the shifts and just in case there is any doubt to anyone, that isn't a dig, just a practice point!!

I'm not talking about the 'many many' who do kefkat, I'm talking about the many, many, many, many who don't! They'd actually find the true spirit if Christmas and the joy if giving if they did.

Yes they would! However there will always be those who don't and are like it during the year too

1. Favourite Christmas song?

Fairytail of new york

2. Where are you planning to be this year?

Xmas morning will be going to my better halfs parents, then in the afternoon at some point go to her sisters where we will have dinner and a few drinks and probably stay the night. Then on boxing day we will go to my folks house in oxfordshire to have a second christmas.

3. Earliest memories?

not the earliset memory, but the funniest one... when i was about 12 we all came down stairs, i farted and everyone in the house started to be sick from the smell. My mom said that i ruined christmas morning! haha

4. When do you start decorating?

8th December. Thats when the tree will go up. (if it was up to me i would put it up the 24th and bring it down on the 26th)

5. Ever seen a White Christmas?

there was one in 2010... and it was actually snowing on xmas day. (oxfordshire)

6. What do you have for your crimbo dinner?

no idea this year as we are having it cooked for us.... but im guessing it'll be the usual

25 More sleeps til Christmas :4: Can't wait to start playing with some of the toys we got the kids, stuff the jesus and religous side of it its all about seeing the kids play with there toys and eating loads and drinking some Rose wine pretending im posh for a few days for me :14:

Surely 25 more sleeps until Christmas Eve Clive? Or are you opening the kids presents early?

And Rosé wine to pretend to be posh? Only a true commoner would say that.

:14: :89:

I have 3:
A Norwegian carol called Deilig er jorden
Traditional - Let it snow
Modern - Thank God it's Christmas

Down the road from Jim at my sister's. I might pop in for some cheese Jim. :17:

3. Earliest memories?
I was 4 or 5 years old, running around the house at 5am waking everyone up with my new accordian.......oddly it disappeared a short time later.

We won't bother this year as we won't be at home. Normally a bout a week before Christmas.

Yes

This year it will be whatever my sister prepairs, she's vegetarian too so I'll not be surprised if she continues the tradition that we follow, established by my parents, nut roast with roast veggies, sprouts, mash and gravy followed by Christmas pudding with custard. On boxing day we usually have a cold buffet, I've already vulunteered to put on a little spread this year for us all so Sis can relax a bit.

McGrath4Pope - 29/11/2013 15:25

Surely 25 more sleeps until Christmas Eve Clive? Or are you opening the kids presents early?

And Rosé wine to pretend to be posh? Only a true commoner would say that.

:14: :89:
FFS what have i done to yo :19: oh bollox in Asda today it said 25 more sleeps thought that was til the 25th :83: Rose and some cheese crackers after dinner and saying oh yaaaars instead of oh are on this special occasion makes me feel posher anyway :35:

I gave the local pensioners a turkey flavoured pot noodle last year, if only you could have seen the emotions in their little faces!!!!!

One between, fuck me what's happened to you. You were never that generous!

But please stop referring to pensioners as having shrunken faces.

Slade - it just leads to daft parental dancing around the kitchen with the kids.

Conscious. No, home this year I think, we rotate with parents but not annually, so think this year is our house again, and then next their's. Not that it matters much as they are 20 or so steps away and even if we don't have dinner there, we are over in the evening.

3. Earliest memories?

Will change every time I answer the question, at the moment I might have been 7 or 8 or something and really into MASK (for those that remember that!) and wanted their HQ. Got through all pressies and it wasn't there but a big box was left, that I was told was just a decorative box as folks had put it there when putting up the tree so I thought no more of it. Later in the day I was allowed to open it.

Looking back was a pretty good lesson of being grateful for what I got and not expecting what I wanted, because by the time I opened it, I'd long got passed disappointment and so on.

About a week into December or so. Don't pick one day specifically, just do a little with the kids, building up to it so to speak.

No I don't do crack.

We change it every year. Turkey is passe and tasteless for me. We've had pork, lamb, duck, and last year we had a three bird in one dealio. Still haven't decided for this year, but go with the theory it's a good time - given all the other food on the plate - for the kids to try something new as well as us. If it isn't liked, it's a full Sunday without meat so stomach's are lined for cakes, sweets etc. If it is liked, all the better.

White christmas LOL Mike yam mental

Can not believe you miserable sods ain't put your crimbo lights up yet, ffs mine have been up for a week the front window lights and everything,

But i did drop a bollock, the mrs asked me to grab some lights for the front window which i thought i did, gave them my dad he said am you sure these am for indoors and the front window, i told him course they was he put them up but the lights only cover about a foot down the window but am 10 meteres long, my dad grabbed the box from the bin and realised i had bought the crimbo lights for the guttering outside that go across it, ffs i got meteres just pinned to my wall at the inside in my front now and the mrs had a proper benny about it, you just can't please some folk are tell ya!

A tough one. Band Aid - Do they know it's Christmas, particularly the opening bars. Sting did a Christmas album called 'A Winter's Tale,' which gets played quite a lot.

At home, for the first time in 3 years. We usually go to the Mrs' mothers. We always have a great time but looking forward to being at home and having Christmas Dinner on our own table.

3. Earliest memories?

Star Wars toys. The Millenium Falcon - finally putting Han and Chewie in the cockpit where they belonged before taking them for a Kessell run down the hallway. A young life was complete.

Interestingly, I was awake one Christmas Eve. I shared a room with my elder brother and I woke him to ask him about the singing. He told me I was hearing things. It was as if the sky was alive with a hundred choral voices yet the street was empty. The whole experience filled me with wonder which has always stayed with me.

If the Mrs has her way, December 1st though I don't start to feel Christmassy until mid December.

Yes, about two years ago. I went for a tea time walk in it under a sky full of stars.

Traditional fare. All except for the sprouts.