The Owners & CEO Thread | Page 7 | Vital Football

The Owners & CEO Thread

It was a 12 month extension only on his existing deal to account for 2018/19 passing and then a pay upgrade for promotion (presumably with further relegation stipulations).
You would think the relegation stipulation would be the bullet, give him 10 games bollox would be small town

You would think the relegation stipulation would be the bullet, give him 10 games bollox would be small town

I wouldn't be surprised (given Eden's other sporting adventures) if relegation stips included a significant wage cut along with an instant provision to terminate as well as a revisit/enact a pre agreed termination clause after a certain number of games.

Keeps all bases covered then to allow for a proper review of the end of the season, along with wriggle room to see if anyone came available we'd really want.

I wouldn't be surprised (given Eden's other sporting adventures) if relegation stips included a significant wage cut along with an instant provision to terminate as well as a revisit/enact a pre agreed termination clause after a certain number of games.

Keeps all bases covered then to allow for a proper review of the end of the season, along with wriggle room to see if anyone came available we'd really want.
I think Edens and Sawiris will do a very thorough inquest at seasons' end and will make the tough decisions. But I don't expect it to happen immediately - it will be a measured response, not knee-jerk. I didn't ever expect Smith to be sacked this season as the trend in US sports is to make coaching changes at the end of a season. In-season firings in American sports usually only happen when something catastrophic occurs such as an off-field incident.

You do?!!! Christ I don't, after Ellis and Lerner (I'll gloss over Xia!) I think the Villa fans would be very very wary about owners and their intentions, or their understanding on how football works.

I do. You only have to look at their record in sports ownership and business.

Yeah, when Lerner came, he was perfect, he spent massively, he made mostly all the right moves, the improvements at the club were stunning, but wrong appointment after wrong appointment and down we fell.

I'm totally on the fence with the new guys, Lerner DID buy us for the love of football and did have a love affair - that went sour - with Villa. These haven't bought us for that sort of reason, but they would be fools to have done this to make money in the medium or even fairly long term. Hopefully it is for pure reasons and is something along the lines of ego to make us great again.

But for me, as said, on the fence. I was so excited when Lerner came, distraught when Xia came, I'll just stay neutral now, albeit they put their money where there mouths were, have done some good things structure wise already and their first day at Bodymoor (when they met some of us) they found out the academy was about to lose it's top level status and spent money immediately to halt that (Xia was prepared to have it closed) so it is promising.

Our owners didn't get where they are today by being fools. That much needs to be kept in mind.

I trust them to make the right decisions.
Reminded me a bit of Reginald Perrin that did. Anyway back to the serious matter of the mess we are in....

Changed the title of the thread to open it up a bit, hard to talk about CEO's without bringing in the owners as well I think. So a bit more obvious and open to the discussions that are ongoing.

The unknown here is Edens.

Yes RL had the Browns as a background, but that wasn't his baby or his love, he stuck his tenure to honour his dad.

Edens wanted the Bucks, he wanted the challenge and he's lived it properly.

That was said about Lerner. Fine you can have faith sir den, I'll keep my powder dry until they show suitable interest to take us places.
Well, actually Lerner was seen by all in Cleveland as the worst owner in the NFL and presided over years of dross.... Edens at least has a recent track record of over-achievement with the Milwaukee Bucks.

Well, actually Lerner was seen by all in Cleveland as the worst owner in the NFL and presided over years of dross.... Edens at least has a recent track record of over-achievement with the Milwaukee Bucks.

Yeah, Randy really didn't want it, didn't like the set up of the NFL. My hope with him was he chose Villa, the Browns was foisted on him.

I think the first thing I'd like to see the owners do after the final game is get rid of Purslow. Hopefully they have this all lined up already but I won't hold my breath
I see the DoF (Pitarch) and Head Coach (Smith) being the problem to be honest. I understand completely why Purslow rubs people the wrong way, as he has an arrogance that can be annoying. However, if you look at the body of work on the recruitment and playing side, that's where the problems are. The summer was a false dawn with too many unknowns and not enough experience (Smith stated in the summer that he didn't really want to lose all of the experience in the squad , especially Jedinak apparently) and then the January window was nothing short of embarrassing. Essentially we brought in three stop-gaps to replace the injured players and absolutely nothing else. Whether it was Smith or Pitarch that determined that was a sufficient route, we'll never know, but it was abysmal.
If I were a betting man I'd put good money on Pitarch being gone at the end of the season. Beyond that I'm not sure...

Our owners didn't get where they are today by being fools. That much needs to be kept in mind.

I trust them to make the right decisions.

Dodgy business football, for right decisions. You never know when you put a manager in charge or buy a certain player how it will turn out. You hope it does, and be prepared to go again if it doesn't.

But I agree they're not fools, they came into this with a high degree of commitment, as they've shown by their all-round overhaul of and investment in the club. As far as it's possible to tell, the club is safe in their hands.

I don't think DS was a wrong decision. He seemed to fit their approach. He had an immediate impact. And he set the club on a steadfast run to promotion. In the PL it ultimately fell apart for him. But they couldn't have known that; they had to give it a try. Given the fact that we had to do a massive rebuild at the start of the season it made sense to stick with a manager who had hardly put a foot wrong. It's possible to argue we should have gone for a "big name" whatever, but as regards staying in the PL there's no guarantee that would be successful either.

I'm always over-optimistic when it comes to owners taking decisions, witness the long list of very good managers I thought past owners must be eyeing up, which never it seemed appeared on their radar.

However, I have hopes of our owners. This is a defeat, but also an opportunity. They have had their feet under the table for a decent length of time. There is a way forward, I hope an ambitious one, and I'm looking to them to find it.