The Championship Thread | Page 112 | Vital Football

The Championship Thread

Just to confirm the table, Wigan have lost their points penalty appeal so are officially relegated with Hull and Charlton. Just announced now

https://twitter.com/sportimegreece?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Sambri Lamousi has been in our country for a few days now! According to information from Sportime, the French coach is in Athens to discuss his contract with Nottingham Forest. Jose Anigo is with him.
The 49-year-old coach was a given that he will remain in the "reds". However, the failure of the last match shook everything. Where the playoffs seemed to be secured, Forrest was left out in a shameful way.

Sambri Lamousi will discuss with Vangelis Marinakis and his associates about the whole Nottingham project , the reasons for the failure and the next day. It seems difficult to have a reversal in the issue of the coach in the Forrest team. It is not only the initial decision that has been made regarding the stay of the French coach, it is also the fact that he is a client of Jorge Mendes. Although the loss this three years is not small. See how much money has been spent on the English club .

Mendes is currently a direct collaborator of the strong man of the "red and whites" in terms of football business. And especially after the sale of Pontense to the Wolves , relations are at their best. The fact that the entire first line of the technical leadership is in Athens for discussions, is a precursor to developments, since along with Lamousi is also Anigo in our parts.

Let's not forget that a few days ago Olympiacos started a collaboration with Louis Ducroue , who will have duties in both clubs.

Just to confirm the table, Wigan have lost their points penalty appeal so are officially relegated with Hull and Charlton. Just announced now
Derby still waiting to hear and Charlton still ‘considering’ legal action over Sheff Weds punishment being next season.

So... Two weeks on and we are still deciding whether to keep the manager or not. And part of that decision is based on who his agent is, if I am reading that translation correctly?

I dont read it like that.

If the report is correct, he has been in Athens for a few days; I am not sure that would be the case if he was on his way out.

I am also not sure why the whole management set up are out there if it is just a case of firing Lamouchi.

It sounds like Marinakis has a few decisions to make and he is taking on board everyone's view point before making them; Lamouchi will probably ask for a better quality player; the scouting team will probably demand a bigger budget to work with so that they can get a better quality player, and Vretzos will probably demand more players are sold to finance that.

The rumours that Mendez represents Lamouchi have been confirmed; that should make life interesting if there is a rift between EM and Mendez

I dont read it like that.

If the report is correct, he has been in Athens for a few days; I am not sure that would be the case if he was on his way out.

I am also not sure why the whole management set up are out there if it is just a case of firing Lamouchi.

It sounds like Marinakis has a few decisions to make and he is taking on board everyone's view point before making them; Lamouchi will probably ask for a better quality player; the scouting team will probably demand a bigger budget to work with so that they can get a better quality player, and Vretzos will probably demand more players are sold to finance that.

The rumours that Mendez represents Lamouchi have been confirmed; that should make life interesting if there is a rift between EM and Mendez
That may well complicate things though.

Obviously we don't know the nature or extent of this rift, but if it had become a "pick your side" kind of thing then I could see a two day meeting potentially leading to a parting of ways.

I doubt that is going to happen though; there is no money in excessive pride.

Just seen this- championship teams for next year

Screenshot_20200805-165945_Reddit.jpg
Probably the "smallest" division for ages in terms of the size of teams, both historically and gate-wise. It's a division of small clubs; there are probably as many "big" clubs in league 1.

Forest, Derby, Wednesday, Norwich are your biggest clubs in terms of attendance and historical position.

Only six PP teams next year, and two of those are in their last, lower year of payments.

No one jumps out at me as having a really outstanding squad on paper. Maybe this year it really is going to be a shit division

14-1 for Forest next season whilst Swansea and Derby are 20-1.Watford are favourites with Brentford and the other two relegated sides just behind them in the odds.

Cardiff, Derby, Stoke, Middlesbrough are all teams I expect to be up there and doing better next season.

I think Bournemouth are more likely to struggle at the end of an era.

Norwich will be strong if they still have Pukki, less so if not.

14-1 for Forest next season whilst Swansea and Derby are 20-1.Watford are favourites with Brentford and the other two relegated sides just behind them in the odds.

I was tempted to lump on after taking 250 on Fulham but I am going to look at what business is done first

I was tempted to lump on after taking 250 on Fulham but I am going to look at what business is done first
Out of the relegated sides I would imagine Norwich will keep most of their squad and will likely spend on decent replacements for those that leave. I normally do an accumulator each way on the football league.Like yourself may wait and see what transfers are made.At the minute I would go for Norwich, Ipswich and need to do some research for league two chap.

You never know what you are going to get with relegated teams but usually only one is challenging.

Bournemouth’s fire sale has just started so the easy prediction is that they will struggle as half of their squad jumps ship.

Watford will be strong I think as they don’t have too many players that people will look to swipe.

Norwich could lose a few players with teams targeting their young players so they could go either way depending how well they use the market.

With Sheffield Wednesday being effectively out of it and Derby possibly so there is a golden opportunity for teams to speculate a little if they can.

No doubt there will be a surprise package or two but if we do some decent business it’s not difficult to see us challenging in what looks like the best chance we could have in a few years.

Cue us signing a load of shite and changing manager by Christmas...

Out of the relegated sides I would imagine Norwich will keep most of their squad and will likely spend on decent replacements for those that leave. I normally do an accumulator each way on the football league.Like yourself may wait and see what transfers are made.At the minute I would go for Norwich, Ipswich and need to do some research for league two chap.
Sunderland in L1. I think they are getting new owners, they were coming into form before lockdown and this is their third year down there. Parkinson a bit of a promotion expert from that league too.

For L2 have a look at what Tranmere do in the market and how many players they lose. Their relegation on PPG was very unfortunate and contentious

Sunderland in L1. I think they are getting new owners, they were coming into form before lockdown and this is their third year down there. Parkinson a bit of a promotion expert from that league too.

For L2 have a look at what Tranmere do in the market and how many players they lose. Their relegation on PPG was very unfortunate and contentious
Yep Cheltenham ,Tranmere or possibly Barrow for League Two.

Phil Parkinson is an underrated manager, IMO. Great cup runs (beating Wenger and Mourinho) and invariably has his team's fighting for promotion.

Phil Parkinson is an underrated manager, IMO. Great cup runs (beating Wenger and Mourinho) and invariably has his team's fighting for promotion.
At L1 level, yes.

He has some convincing to do amongst Sunderland fans, who have the same affliction we did; a desperate need to get out of that division and constant feeling of fighting the clock before being stranded there forever.