The Championship 2019/20 Season Thread | Page 25 | Vital Football

The Championship 2019/20 Season Thread

Brentford bottled it in the last two games.

Forest? Don't know what to say!!

I still think we could see Wednesday in L1 next season.

How on earth did Forest and Swansea contrive to settle 6th and 7th spot in that fashion over a one game shootout, incredible. I wonder what the odds of that were before the game? A six goal swing with Swansea playing away and Forest at home to strugglers Stoke, wow.

Forest were 1/500 to make the playoffs before the game. Swans were 12/1.

Brentford bottled it in the last two games.

Forest? Don't know what to say!!

I still think we could see Wednesday in L1 next season.
Kieran Maguire thinks they will be deducted 12 points, and he is the expert on these things. The entire episode at Wednesday has a very unsavoury feel to it, and I will be amazed if they are not relegated.

Just want all these potential points deductions sorted out as soon as possible, so that we know who has been demoted and who has not.

So I can start the Where will they finish comp for next season and get entries coming in.

A bit more on Derby:

Derby were referred to the commission in January 2020 regarding the same three-year accounting period (2015-2018) under which Wednesday have been charged. Derby posted a three-year loss of £9 million, but that included the sale of Pride Park to Mel Morris for £80 million. The problem there, is that the club's own books show its value as £41 million. The difference between the two valuations is therefore £39 million, which coincidentally is the exact amount a club is permitted to lose over three years under the Profit & Sustainability rules. Had the sale gone through at Derby's own valuation of £41 million, their three-year loss would have been £48 million, which is £9 million more than the rules permit.

Remember that the amount paid for the stadium must be its true market value, and that is the problem at Derby.

The timing of the sale could also be an issue. If Derby's claim that they did not sell the ground to Morris in a deliberate attempt to avoid a breach of the rules is to be believed, why did the sale take place on 28 June 2018, just two days before the end of the three-year accounting period?

In terms of a potential penalty, their alleged overspend of £9 million is less than the alleged overspend at Sheffield Wednesday (£18 million), and Derby appear to have complied with all other requirements. Therefore, any penalty applicable to Derby may be less severe than that applied to Sheffield Wednesday, where there are more factors to be considered by the commission.

From my post on page 24, it is likely that the maximum points deduction for Derby would be a maximum of 12 (and possibly less), which would not affect the relegation positions. Quite what it would do to Derby's ability to attract new investment is another matter.

Kieran Maguire thinks they will be deducted 12 points, and he is the expert on these things. The entire episode at Wednesday has a very unsavoury feel to it, and I will be amazed if they are not relegated.
Agree, my gut feeling (nothing more) is a 9-12 point deduction coming their way, which would relegate them.

Just want all these potential points deductions sorted out as soon as possible, so that we know who has been demoted and who has not.

So I can start the Where will they finish comp for next season and get entries coming in.
Unlikely to happen quickly, unfortunately - as per ScotImp's earlier comprehensive summary, decicisions are like to be followed by appeals and legal challenges.

The EFL needs to announce a cut off date at which point any confirmed penalties - Wigan, primarily - are imposed, anything pending is carried over to next season. Possibly with incentive of accepting the penalty for this season with increased penalties if appeals etc are unsuccessful?

Like the conclusion of the season, no satisfactory way of resolving this, as the (provisionally) relegated clubs may suffer (and every other club if the season's start is delayed beyond that currently projected) while those who cheated will exploit the system for as long as they can take.

How the hell can a side like Barnsley plan, and budget, for next season? They believe they are safe, but Wigan may win an appeal League 1 players and budget or championship players and budget?
Probably 5 or 6 sides impacted by this nonsense. I've no sympathy for the perpetrators, but some innocent parties are being dealt a rather shitty hand.

Wednesday have known for long enough that there may well be a points deduction coming their way so there is absolutely no reason why any appeal cannot be quickly convened for them to present a well prepared case. Likewise there is no time argument for The EFL to say they haven't had an appeals committee on standby for such an eventuality.

In fact you could argue the delay in bringing action has enabled Wednesday to thoroughly prepare for their day of reckoning to prevent any allegations they have not been able to fairly do so.

What a chaotic night! I can't remember a season or a league having automatic promotion, play-offs and relegation still to be decided on the round of games?!

I mean the Forest/Swansea GD swing is crazy, WBA drawing, Brentford losing and the Barnsley winner saving them and sending Charlton down instead. Luton winning as well, so close for Wigan (the last minute equaliser for Charlton looked big at the time and it turned out to be).

How the hell can a side like Barnsley plan, and budget, for next season? They believe they are safe, but Wigan may win an appeal League 1 players and budget or championship players and budget?
Probably 5 or 6 sides impacted by this nonsense. I've no sympathy for the perpetrators, but some innocent parties are being dealt a rather shitty hand.
Likewise the Stevenage/Macc issue.

Incidentally, Birmingham were deducted 12 points in March 2019 (less three for reporting the problem themselves and complying with the investigation) for a three-year loss of £48.8 million. The alleged loss at Derby is also £48 million, suggesting the same penalty will be applied if Derby are found guilty.

That would suggest Derby are in no danger of relegation.

For what it's worth, I believe that Hull are definitely down. Wigan must surely be joining them: their defence of force majeure is ridiculous in every way, especially considering they are the only club so far to enter administration and were also taken over just a month before that. I also note that the administrators have made 75 members of staff redundant at the DW: that is a massive number of staff for a club with an average gate of 10,600. And Sheffield Wednesday look likely to be the third club relegated; the likes of Steve Gibson will be apoplectic if they are found not guilty.

What a chaotic night! I can't remember a season or a league having automatic promotion, play-offs and relegation still to be decided on the round of games?!

I mean the Forest/Swansea GD swing is crazy, WBA drawing, Brentford losing and the Barnsley winner saving them and sending Charlton down instead. Luton winning as well, so close for Wigan (the last minute equaliser for Charlton looked big at the time and it turned out to be).

Yes amazing. As a neutral, the Championship is my favourite league to watch on TV. It'd be amazing to be part of it one day and lose the 'neutral' tag.

Wigan’s sole defense seems to be that they didn’t know their new owner is a t****r
No, they are claiming force majeure.

In any event, the outgoing owners of a club have a responsibility incumbent upon them to carry out full due diligence on a prospective owner and therefore ensure that they are not a t****r.