The Carney Chukwuemeka Thread | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Carney Chukwuemeka Thread

Should have scored. We can't be putting him on unless he is going to contribute.

I thought it was an odd substitution tbh Ramsey and Anwar must be above him in the pecking order if the last 2 games were anything to go by.

Gregg Evans suggested Ramsey has one of the ‘niggles’ that Gerrard referred to in his pre match interview so I guess that’s why he maybe didn’t come on. Was a surprising one, that’s for sure.

Anwar would have been a better bet.
His overall contribution would have been greater.
That said if he had knocked his chance in I suppose it would have been a different conversation than we are having now.
That said at the moment he is no more than a prospect and I don't think Villa should be jumping to his tune, if indeed there is any truth in it.

Obviously deserved his chance for me. SG and his team must of saw enough in training to give him 30 minutes. He more than held his own against one of the top teams in Europe, I'm sure it will of done him the word of good too.

Perhaps he should of scored, but it was a more than decent save. Keep up the good work Carney.

Was pleased to see Carney get on myself, thought he linked up well with some of our attacking players. Such a shame he didnt take the chance when it fell for him, think the nerves made him snatch at it. He was muttering away to himself for ages afterwards

Carney will be one of those players that we massively regret letting go if that is the case. He is 17, playing in front of a loud, intense Villa Park in a game under the lights against one of the world's best teams - he did not look out of place. Think about how good this kid will be when he is 23.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it was a shocking miss. I think that's very harsh.

It was a good save. It wasn't straight at him. It didn't hit him in the chest, it was a good save.

Had he scored it would have been a great finish.

It certainly wasn't a shocking miss in my book.

The thing is , you don't get many chance like that against Man City etc. Got to be ruthless and make them count. I said we won't get another chance and we didn't.

It certainly wasn't a shocking miss but he has to be scoring. I thought at the time he should have hit it first time.

I have watched a bit of the U23 and Carney is a bit of an enigma. Most of the time he strolls around Pogba style as though its too easy for him. Every so often he pulls his finger out and plays at a higher tempo and looks far better for it. His future needs to be sorted. If he is trying the big i am, get rid.

The thing is , you don't get many chance like that against Man City etc. Got to be ruthless and make them count. I said we won't get another chance and we didn't.

It certainly wasn't a shocking miss but he has to be scoring. I thought at the time he should have hit it first time.

I know one thing, if the same chance fell to any of our other players I certainly wouldn't be confident enough to put any money on any of them scoring.

I don't think our current manager will be allowing any 18-year olds to get too big for their boots. He had all the natural talent but worked his arse off as well and he'll be expecting the same from Carney. If you're Carney, do you pass on the opportunity to work under one of greats in your position of the modern era? No way.

My first reaction was he dwelled on it a second too long and I didn't realise the keeper had stopped it but it was indeed the chance of the match for us.
Had it gone in no doubt City would have upped it to another level and got the winner though

I think I'd have put more money on Anwar scoring for sure but what I did like was Chuck making the advanced run in the first place and getting into that position.

This guy?

https://wittyfutty.com/2019/12/video-el-ghazi-terrible-miss-against-leicester-city/

https://wittyfutty.com/2020/07/el-ghazi-misses-sitter-everton/

I do like Anwar by the way but these two chances were easier than the one Carney missed last night.

I think people are being a bit too harsh. Ederson is possibly the best keeper in the world and Carney forced a good save from him.

Well I could link to all Anwars top finishes , both left and right foot.

Anyway my point is if you get a chance against the likes of Man City you have to score because you don't get that many.

It was a more random sub, as I was expecting Ramsey to come on given a few of his performances lately. Chuky though has height, which when he fills out and is more aggressive will be a huge asset, and has that ability with his feet and movement to do the more unexpected. So although random and risky, with risk can sometimes come more reward. Ramsey probably wouldn’t have been in that position to have got the shot off.

I agree with deano above on the Pogba likeness, and that will divide opinion.

I actually thought he kept it simple, which was a good thing given the pace of the game. He did a few good turns and passes, but the trick is to just get your touch and passing working in a game like that, and then when the moment strikes you can try the nice turn or risky pass or shot, and that’s what he did.

Men’s game, yes, but the criticism is probably borderline extreme for me (I know that’s rich of me). Bailey made more than one bad decision last night, which would’ve created goal scoring opportunities. Plenty of more experienced players could’ve fluffed that chance. He’ll be disappointed but he did well in the context of everything.

Now sign that ‘kin deal.