The Carney Chukwuemeka Thread | Page 11 | Vital Football

The Carney Chukwuemeka Thread

Some on here beginning to slag him off already. Really? He's played a total of 60 minutes so far. For several game Emi 2 was the target of some abuse, even though the signs were there that he'll come good. Now its Carny. FFS get a grip and let players take some time to settle and show what they can do. SG sees them in training all week and knows a hell of a lot more about them than any of us do. So why be negative so quickly?

Lovely player. He glides past opponents. Once he builds his confidence and adds a change of pace to his game he'll be a star.
Has to get up to speed. Has the skills, but the PL is different pace. The more exposure he gets to the league the better he'll become. All the talk has been about him but from the reserve game Jayden looks a find.

Has to get up to speed. Has the skills, but the PL is different pace. The more exposure he gets to the league the better he'll become. All the talk has been about him but from the reserve game Jayden looks a find.
Potential is there but I think he has some way to go to being a first team regular. Can't quite see why at the moment he's getting the shout over Archer, who hasn't even made the bench under SG; Archer has a rare natural talent and has done well when given the opportunity by DS,

Potential is there but I think he has some way to go to being a first team regular. Can't quite see why at the moment he's getting the shout over Archer, who hasn't even made the bench under SG; Archer has a rare natural talent and has done well when given the opportunity by DS,

They play in completely different positions so not sure it makes any difference myself. Been reading quite a few reports that Gerrard feels we have too many forward players in the squad, so wouldnt be surprised to see Archer get another loan. I'd guess a few Championship teams may be interested after his goals this season

It's not real surprise to me that his strength and conditioning is clearly his weak point given his age. Other than that he will just need to get sharpened up to this level but all that will come with them.

They play in completely different positions so not sure it makes any difference myself. Been reading quite a few reports that Gerrard feels we have too many forward players in the squad, so wouldnt be surprised to see Archer get another loan. I'd guess a few Championship teams may be interested after his goals this season

Keinan has been talking about moving on; he wants to play. So that leaves us with 3 strikers including Archer, and Ings is injury prone. Archer can also play as a winger.

Keinan has been talking about moving on; he wants to play. So that leaves us with 3 strikers including Archer, and Ings is injury prone. Archer can also play as a winger.

Yeah, I'm not sure we'd loan both Keinan and Archer but if Gerrard see's Keinan as being next in line (I'm guessing he does as he's been on the bench every game) then Archer could well go out instead.

How did he do when he came on? He got an assist I heard.

He got involved when he came on and what I like about him is he isn't lightweight. I am yet to see a player push him off the ball without fouling him. Ramsey and Carney are the real deal in terms of being Premier Lge. quality players at a young age.

To add to what Ironside said, he does indeed have that element of grace and ease about him that YKW had. Someone else also said he almost seems lazy and I think it is because as Ironside also said he just doesnt seem to have that explosive bit of pace. The positive about a player like that is he cannot rely on pace he must rely on ability and it looks like he has bags of it.

Its hard to judge more than that because under Gerrard he has been brought on when we're trying to see out games so he isnt getting a lot of the ball. So still a long way to go but at 18 years old you can see he has the basics that are needed to succeed in this league. He has the strength to assert himself and the quality to mix it. I am not too concerned about the contract situation or his attitude. Gerrard wouldnt be keeping him in the mix if we thought that was a jeopardy.

How did he do when he came on? He got an assist I heard.

He did well, seemed to drift out to the left and played quite advanced. Had a few touches, and brought the ball down brilliantly for the assist as he rolled the defender to get the wrong side then advance.

For a very young lad, the thing that stands out most to me (and also from the clips I’d see of him on the social media channel) is the amount of composure he has.

Someone posted it a few weeks ago (‘57?) but he has that Pogba swagger and confidence.

Off the back of CDX’s post, he has height and uses it well for a kid but I still think he is yet to really assert himself physically. That will come but equally he seems to have so much talent going forward we don’t necessarily want him becoming a 90 minutes ball winner.

There’s as much - if not more - raw talent in Chuky than a player who’s name I have forgotten.

Last edited:
He got involved when he came on and what I like about him is he isn't lightweight. I am yet to see a player push him off the ball without fouling him. Ramsey and Carney are the real deal in terms of being Premier Lge. quality players at a young age.

To add to what Ironside said, he does indeed have that element of grace and ease about him that YKW had. Someone else also said he almost seems lazy and I think it is because as Ironside also said he just doesnt seem to have that explosive bit of pace. The positive about a player like that is he cannot rely on pace he must rely on ability and it looks like he has bags of it.

Its hard to judge more than that because under Gerrard he has been brought on when we're trying to see out games so he isnt getting a lot of the ball. So still a long way to go but at 18 years old you can see he has the basics that are needed to succeed in this league. He has the strength to assert himself and the quality to mix it. I am not too concerned about the contract situation or his attitude. Gerrard wouldnt be keeping him in the mix if we thought that was a jeopardy.
"Grace" and "lazy" I think are just impressions given by the fact he's got really long legs! Yeah, the boy glides at times and I think the (positive) Pogba comparisons aren't a million miles away (or hopefully won't be one day soon) in that he could probably play anywhere between the strikers and the defence and look comfortable.