The Car Thread | Page 15 | Vital Football

The Car Thread

Today was swap car day, I can confirm, I did just that.

Was a strange experience as obviously, everything was distanced, it was all paperwork that could be handed over (they usually do electronic) and so on. They've been very good though, sending video updates and this morning a video with instructions that they would usually run you through in person. Very organised.

Today was swap car day, I can confirm, I did just that.

Was a strange experience as obviously, everything was distanced, it was all paperwork that could be handed over (they usually do electronic) and so on. They've been very good though, sending video updates and this morning a video with instructions that they would usually run you through in person. Very organised.
More to the point are you chuffed with it?

More to the point are you chuffed with it?

Yes, really am. Was so solid on the motorway, didn't feel like a smaller car at all. Nice bit of poke, impressed with the interior, just the same nice quality as the BMW's were. All in all, really pleased with this decision, as I did put a lot of thought into it so I didn't end up underwhelmed after years of the bigger cars.

All good for this semi retirement/looking after myself a bit better I think! Been a lot of massive decisions, operation included, the last year or so!

thanks for asking (y)

Yes, really am. Was so solid on the motorway, didn't feel like a smaller car at all. Nice bit of poke, impressed with the interior, just the same nice quality as the BMW's were. All in all, really pleased with this decision, as I did put a lot of thought into it so I didn't end up underwhelmed after years of the bigger cars.

All good for this semi retirement/looking after myself a bit better I think! Been a lot of massive decisions, operation included, the last year or so!

thanks for asking (y)
Good pleased for you.

thanks for asking (y)

Do the indicators work ?

My next car is going to be an EV. Probably in the next 12 months. I test drove a Tesla a few weeks ago. Very nice.
Will you be doing much mileage Simon? I find the driving position very uncomfortable. If it’s short trips it won’t matter so much same as the range restrictions. Real life ranges are much lower than claimed.

Will you be doing much mileage Simon? I find the driving position very uncomfortable. If it’s short trips it won’t matter so much same as the range restrictions. Real life ranges are much lower than claimed.

Won‘t be doing long trips on a regular basis. My driving habits have changed due to my job changing. Now more office based and so in a standard day im often only driving 18-20 miles a day. May change I suppose once we aren’t in lockdown.

Won‘t be doing long trips on a regular basis. My driving habits have changed due to my job changing. Now more office based and so in a standard day im often only driving 18-20 miles a day. May change I suppose once we aren’t in lockdown.
Then electric would be spot on mate.

Why didn't you get the electric Mini? I assume most of your driving is a fairly local area.

I've been reading a lot about how electric cars are the future and everything electric vehicle is burning hot in the stock market but I don't know anyone who has one.

One of the reasons I was reluctant to get that XC90 was because the one with the lovely interior only comes as a PHEV and I'd have no where to plug it in.

They have only just introduced their electric version, even the sales person said she would wait a while for the technology to move on. Also, did get a stunning deal with the one I've had.

But with the talk in this thread and elsewhere leaning towards hydrogen probably being the answer, plus the pest of not enough charging points for when I do go a distance, and the fact I'm often travelling on my own and with my brain aches, I don't like too many things on my mind when doing things (for good reason) I just didn't feel it was the right time.

Good call, then. Range anxiety is certainly an issue with electric.

It's moving on, with sodium-ion batteries looking a likely option, which will make them better for the environment.

Hydrogen ha the potential to supply all our needs, though, and in a much more sustainable way. Just fill up like you do with petrol, and away you go.

I think we need to invest as much as Germany is in the infrastructure, so we're ready.