The Car Thread | Page 14 | Vital Football

The Car Thread

I see Land Rover has launched a new Defender, with a 5 litre V8 engine producing 518bhp 0-62 in 5.2 seconds and a top speed of 150mph.
Cant see many farmers buying one of these to go round the fields.

My old lads built the engines for SVO (special vehicle ops ) a few months ago, probably a year ago knowing how time flies.
That's something else that will get canned under the new management i expect SVO. Cost a fortune to operate

My old lads built the engines for SVO (special vehicle ops ) a few months ago, probably a year ago knowing how time flies.
That's something else that will get canned under the new management i expect SVO. Cost a fortune to operate
Where is the market for this one 57, considering the green lobby etc.

It is mesmerising, but I can't claim to know what's going on. The main motor looks finished to me, at the start!!!

I can't wait for the change. Hydrogen cars are such an exciting concept, don't you think, 57? Like electric, you're not constrained by the normal design considerations of fitting the engine, transmission an drive chain.
Yes Motors are bought in from LG.
Yes I like the hydrogen concept, lets be honest we won't be ready in 9 years for Electric cars and vans they will be starting designing 2030 MY in 2026. That will be outdated before it starts.

Not sure why or if they can make the whole body or at least the roof of solar panels to extend the range .

I think the 2030 date is very optimistic

Where is the market for this one 57, considering the green lobby etc.
The US and footballers! it's a limited run mate they have loads of supercharged V8 engines about, they were assembled at Bridgend but Ford has closed that plant . They were or are not sure going to transfer it to EMC at Wolverhampton but with all the panic to get EDU (electric drive units )into production my guess is they have just stockpiled the V8s they had already built. May as well use them as scrap them. The new V8 Range Rover is coming out soon with the BMW V8 in it, don't forget it's only the UK that is going green the rest of the world is still out there for at least a further 10 years . I mean a 3.5 v6 is the norm in America

The US and footballers! it's a limited run mate they have loads of supercharged V8 engines about, they were assembled at Bridgend but Ford has closed that plant . They were or are not sure going to transfer it to EMC at Wolverhampton but with all the panic to get EDU (electric drive units )into production my guess is they have just stockpiled the V8s they had already built. May as well use them as scrap them. The new V8 Range Rover is coming out soon with the BMW V8 in it, don't forget it's only the UK that is going green the rest of the world is still out there for at least a further 10 years . I mean a 3.5 v6 is the norm in America
There are going to be some wonderful bargains out there when the electric thing finally bites.

There are going to be some wonderful bargains out there when the electric thing finally bites.
Our Government will price petrol so high they will all be off the rd by 2035 , not sure with Diesel , lorries have to run on something unless they have 35 tonne batteries in the back :LOL:

Our Government will price petrol so high they will all be off the rd by 2035 , not sure with Diesel , lorries have to run on something unless they have 35 tonne batteries in the back :LOL:
I am thinking that there will be a huge row if they do that because poorer people will not be able to go electric, unless there is a massive leap forward in the mass production of these cars.
They will be forced to continue with ICE engines as their only viable means of transport.

Get mine on Monday. £145 saving on insurance, massive saving on road tax, and also obviously going to be much cheaper to service and replace tyres etc.

Really pleased with my decision. I'm just trying to eek out the petrol left in the tank, as I don't want to put any more in! Oh and fuel should be cheaper by some way as well.

Dont know if this has already been talked about but a new cleaner petrol is being introduced later this year called E10. Old E5 will still be available but will be more expensive and E10 is only suitable for cars built after 2009.

Get mine on Monday. £145 saving on insurance, massive saving on road tax, and also obviously going to be much cheaper to service and replace tyres etc.

Really pleased with my decision. I'm just trying to eek out the petrol left in the tank, as I don't want to put any more in! Oh and fuel should be cheaper by some way as well.
What did you end up with?

I am thinking that there will be a huge row if they do that because poorer people will not be able to go electric, unless there is a massive leap forward in the mass production of these cars.
They will be forced to continue with ICE engines as their only viable means of transport.
Government have always wanted poor people off the roads, always tried to price people off rather than target shite drivers

Black 4 door (no choice, due to parents) Mini Cooper Sport... been shown the video of it, looks brilliant! With the mileage I do these days, I don't need a big car now.
Brilliant, a friend has the John Cooper Works mini, and being so low to the ground its frightening when opened up.
Shit to a blanket on corners.

Yeah, I gave this a really good test drive and have to say, it moves! It is basically a luxury car in a small package and the nice thing, my timing was perfect as it was before their xmas shutdown, through lockdown, think they needed orders on their books, I have a loyalty bonus at the dealership for all my 3 series over the years, so not really costing me and should last me a good long while but without totally compromising car wise, because I do like a nice motor.

Well, if I am going to be forced into electric/hybrid this will provide a nice upgrade.
Plenty of room for the dog, and going to the dump.
Mercedes-AMG C 63 Estate caught testing ahead of 2022 ...
www.autoexpress.co.uk › News

Yes, I was looking at a Merc with a 2l turbo petrol and electric motor, a couple of years ago, luckily I saved my money or I'd now be in deep shite. They go like rockets.
That picture takes me back to my testing days in Finland, that rd looks a bit too clear must be somewhere else.
Met the Mercedes test team at a service station in Sweden back in the days when they were testing the original A-class, that failed the Moose test and had to be hurriedly redesigned.
I haven't got much to show for my 40 odd years at work but I've got memories that very few people who sit in offices all day will never have.

Yes, I was looking at a Merc with a 2l turbo petrol and electric motor, a couple of years ago, luckily I saved my money or I'd now be in deep shite. They go like rockets.
That picture takes me back to my testing days in Finland, that rd looks a bit too clear must be somewhere else.
Met the Mercedes test team at a service station in Sweden back in the days when they were testing the original A-class, that failed the Moose test and had to be hurriedly redesigned.
I haven't got much to show for my 40 odd years at work but I've got memories that very few people who sit in offices all day will never have.
I take it the Moose test is based on collision damage when hitting one of those big buggers, or is it something more technical than that?