The bye elections (n/g) | Vital Football

The bye elections (n/g)

PuB

Vital 1st Team Regular
Well we’re all bored, so thoughts?

Thursday night, one in the south-west, one up in t’north.

Last edited:
Not at all , but they have a right to be a part of the de.ocrati process
They are a minority bit like the people they attack.
Wakefield with elect a Labour MP .It is the Tiverton and Honiton vote that could go to the wire.It is a question weather enough Tories will stay at home or vote elsewhere?

Violent political grouplet needs theatrical stunts to garner attention. The real news in Wakefield will be the size of Labour's majority. So great have Tory efforts to depress expectations been that they would hail a narrow Devon win as success. Truth is Johnson is now electoral poison.

When they lose both seats I fully expect Johnson to announce that Carrie is having twins and Corbyn is the reason everyone is going on strike.

I’ve just noticed my glaring grammatical error in the thread title, but can’t change it.

Oh well, it MIGHT be pertinent.

Violent political grouplet needs theatrical stunts to garner attention. The real news in Wakefield will be the size of Labour's majority. So great have Tory efforts to depress expectations been that they would hail a narrow Devon win as success. Truth is Johnson is now electoral poison.
Obviously a bigger story down my way.
The local political show was all about this on Sunday and I was amazed by how many still supported Johnson.
Wtf ?
Honestly?
I’d say that out of those asked, seven out of ten said he was doing a good job.
Unfortunately the Labour lady came across pretty rubbish.
The Liberal guy spoke well but the Tory lady was slick and nailed it.
Honiton born and bred. Bought up her family in the town. Dedicated to the people etc.
Cannily fenced off the Johnson question.
My impression is that she will win it.
Probably not with the same majority, but then a new person never does.

The local political show was all about this on Sunday and I was amazed by how many still supported Johnson.
Wtf ?
Honestly?
Honiton born and bred. Bought up her family in the town. Dedicated to the people etc.

Vox pops notoriously unrepresentative. Clip of your candidate making an arse of herself over Johnson. If she does lose it will be seismic and Johnson's unique sinus op may keep him off the airwaves for longer.

Wtf ?
Honestly?
Are you fairly close geographically?
The BBC report I read appears to be saying that the Tories are in serious danger of losing the rural voters. Rising costs of fuel and lack of options as regards gas and electricity means higher costs .
Personally it sounds too close to call .A lot of Tories are well pissed off that could turn out to be a massive own goal by Johnson. I don't believe the Liberal Democrats can win it without help.But Boris could cost more votes than they need.

Are you fairly close geographically?
The BBC report I read appears to be saying that the Tories are in serious danger of losing the rural voters. Rising costs of fuel and lack of options as regards gas and electricity means higher costs .
Personally it sounds too close to call .A lot of Tories are well pissed off that could turn out to be a massive own goal by Johnson. I don't believe the Liberal Democrats can win it without help.But Boris could cost more votes than they need.
45 minutes from Tiverton Chris.
We go there occasionally. It’s quite a nice little town.
As I said, I’m amazed that so many still cheer for Johnson.
I’d expect him to be more toxic than it appears.
I expect a few will vote tactically but my impression is that the Tory will win with a reduced majority.
Of course, by elections often throw up unusual results so it’s possible.

I sometimes think the born, raised and still living local aspect of politicians is often overlooked.
As SS says, the Tory woman is local to the area and that resonates with most voters far more than having a bumbling, lying, arsehole of a leader that flees scrutiny at the drop of a hat.

Worth watch especially the bit about 7 minutes 15 seconds in .In it Rory Stewart explains why he believes Boris Johnson is such a terrible prime minister.

I’ve just noticed my glaring grammatical error in the thread title, but can’t change it.

Oh well, it MIGHT be pertinent.

And I thought you were being super clever. I would hashtag that quickly and you might enjoy the same 15 mins of fame as the lady who coined #wagathachristie !!

Reactions: PuB
I sometimes think the born, raised and still living local aspect of politicians is often overlooked.
As SS says, the Tory woman is local to the area and that resonates with most voters far more than having a bumbling, lying, arsehole of a leader that flees scrutiny at the drop of a hat.

Looks like it’s very close between the Lib Dems and the Tories down there, we can discount Labour from the running.

If the Dems do flip it in their favour it’ll be the biggest overturn in an election since 1935 (fun fact there).