The bye elections (n/g) | Page 6 | Vital Football

The bye elections (n/g)

Interesting in the Guardian this morning.
In Totnes, they are trying to establish a unity candidate so that only one stands against the sitting Tory.
Organiser is George Monbiot.
So forming a two horse race.

It's a really good idea, and I hope it works.

It's essentially trying to enable a runoff election, which would be one of the many options that would be far better than our current first past the post system at the moment. The hope is that whoever loses (be it labour or lib dem) pulls their candidates from the ballot, and leaves it with just tory vs the winner, plus the usual nutters.

Sadly, if Starmer suggests spending on anything he is bombarded with "how will you pay for it" "you will raise taxes" blah, blah, blah. I rememeber how the Tories snatched a win in 1992 on the "Double whammy tax bombshell".

I note virually no questioning of how the Tories will fund their new Health Service Plan other than "it will come from the Treasury". This has been accepted by our supine media. Ditto if they get rid of Inheritance tax.

Frankly any group of politicians from any opposition party must surely be better than this bunch of incompetents who have been hijacked by right wing infiltrators in the last few years.

I'd love Labour to put forward what I consider crucial, left wing policies. However, we'd be thrashed if we put forward the Manifesto I'd like. Far more important right now is to get the present incarnation of the Tories out, even if the alternative isn't anywhere near as bold as I'd like. There are millions who can't afford another 5 years of these Grifters.

As the Lib Dems are best placed in my constituency, I'd probably vote for them. Far better than the Tories. We have a classic Brexit Gammon extremist in my as MP, ironically called Bacon. The local Tory party made Joe Johnson quit before he was forced out. Joe was actually a reasonable human being (unlike his brother, of course).
Please explain how MP Gareth Bacon is a:
"Brexit Gammon extremist".

Next time I speak to him I will use your evidence and cross-examine him.
:wagging: