The Business/Finance/Economics Thread | Page 25 | Vital Football

The Business/Finance/Economics Thread

Grab is looking for a SPAC to take them public in the US. They are talking a good game about making a profit some time soon but are looking at listing before any of those promises come due.

The US unemployment rate is 6.2%. That's pretty great considering we are still in a global pandemic.

I wonder if Kevin O'Leary is right about the stimulus being unnecessary and inflationary. He went on a bit of a rant about how the stimulus is propping up dead industries like airlines.

@CDX_EIRE What do you think?

The US unemployment rate is 6.2%. That's pretty great considering we are still in a global pandemic.

I wonder if Kevin O'Leary is right about the stimulus being unnecessary and inflationary. He went on a bit of a rant about how the stimulus is propping up dead industries like airlines.

Furlough has simply postponed mass unemployment.

There would’ve been huge numbers given the commodity like treatment of people who work in hotels or travel.

I can’t see the international travel industry in 2022 being much more than half of what it was in say 2019.

I was watching a programme the other day about Heathrow, and I think the comment was it would take at least 5 years to get back up to the levels of passengers in 2019.

The German government propped up Lufthansa with a package worth €9bn euros. The concern for me with airlines in a situation like that, there will be pressure to reduce and repay. An airline who cuts costs in the wrong place.... doesn’t bear thinking about.

Furlough has simply postponed mass unemployment.

There would’ve been huge numbers given the commodity like treatment of people who work in hotels or travel.

I can’t see the international travel industry in 2022 being much more than half of what it was in say 2019.

I was watching a programme the other day about Heathrow, and I think the comment was it would take at least 5 years to get back up to the levels of passengers in 2019.

The German government propped up Lufthansa with a package worth €9bn euros. The concern for me with airlines in a situation like that, there will be pressure to reduce and repay. An airline who cuts costs in the wrong place.... doesn’t bear thinking about.

I often misread things in the mornings too.

I think it just became a political stunt in the end, you see the correlation between the stimulus bill and Bitcoin going up. Stock market will be on fire next week too probably.

Definitely, a lot of people needed help and I think they tried to do it in a way that limited barriers to people getting money. With that said they've made a meal of it, theres people out there who wont get what they need and then others who simply dont need it.

It should have been sophisticated and targeted and took geographic location into account too.

Jobs are currently out there too btw, I see a lot of little stores and other companies still looking for help. America is acting like the pandemic is over too. US domestic travel is back to March 2020 levels. NYC has lovely weather and the place was absolutely hopping last night. I think America is at most 12 months from being back to normal but more like 6 months from virtually normal.

I see Cathy Wood is pumping Tesla to try to catch all of the stimulus money and bale out her sinking ship.

Wework is going to IPO via a SPAC. Just when you thought SPACs couldn't get any shittier, the biggest steaming pile of shite comes over the horizon.

I see Cathy Wood is pumping Tesla to try to catch all of the stimulus money and bale out her sinking ship.

I wish I could find the thing I read recently about this weird dislike people have of Cathie. Not saying you do just the sinking ship reference made me think of all the short sellers and old heads who dismiss her.

The talking heads and old heads tell investors to think long term and here's this bird with a long term (5-7 time horizon) and they want her to fail.

Strange time to be floating...

Deliveroo shares have plummeted on its stock market debut after a number of major UK investors expressed concerns about its gig economy worker model.

Shares in the food delivery business had been offered to investors at 390p each, but dived in early London trading to 275p at one stage, a 30% fall.

The company had initially hoped for a share price of up to 460p.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56578445

I wish I could find the thing I read recently about this weird dislike people have of Cathie. Not saying you do just the sinking ship reference made me think of all the short sellers and old heads who dismiss her.

The talking heads and old heads tell investors to think long term and here's this bird with a long term (5-7 time horizon) and they want her to fail.

The only negative opinion I've seen of her is that she is a hype machine and that her funds' performance is just a reflection of how much money she pumped into certain stocks. She set up a space fund that has Netflix in it?

Perhaps they are just jealous that she's making so much in fees?

Strange time to be floating...

Deliveroo shares have plummeted on its stock market debut after a number of major UK investors expressed concerns about its gig economy worker model.

Shares in the food delivery business had been offered to investors at 390p each, but dived in early London trading to 275p at one stage, a 30% fall.

The company had initially hoped for a share price of up to 460p.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56578445

It's takes a while to get everything set up for an IPO. They would have started the process while the market was hot but it's gone cold very fast.

It seems to me like the markets want to crash but the recovery stocks are holding and the prospect of more stimulus, Biden's infrastructure bill and a new roaring 20s means that overall the markets are holding waiting for something big to move them.